Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving after test

• 20-07-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently passed my driving test on Tuesday and have put the relevant forms in to my local ndls center and was wondering am I okay to drive on my own now seeing as I have passed the test. My local garda station said that I was okay so long as I had the receipt but the receipt its self says that it cannot be used in replacement of the licence. I have my N's up and I have told my insurance company that I have passed the test so everything else is in order,

Comments

Daddypaddy wrote: »
    I recently passed my driving test on Tuesday and have put the relevant forms in to my local ndls center and was wondering am I okay to drive on my own now seeing as I have passed the test. My local garda station said that I was okay so long as I had the receipt but the receipt its self says that it cannot be used in replacement of the licence. I have my N's up and I have told my insurance company that I have passed the test so everything else is in order,

Technically you still need a everything a learner does until you have the physical licence in your hand. But I doubt a guard would be too hard on you if you are stopped.

If you have already applied for a full licence you will have it in ten days so even if you are stopped you should be able to produce one at a garda station within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

You'll probably be all right if you have the receipt on you and you don't drive like a fool or do anything to piss off the guards should you get stopped. It's not technically allowed, but the odds of them coming down on you are slim. Do keep in mind that they aren't zero, though, and contrary to popular belief they can do you for driving without a license on the spot, which will be a court appearance and sizable fine; the "show your license at the station within ten days" thing is completely at the guard's discretion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can we get the answer to this stickies? OP until you have a license in your hand, your still a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

Daddypaddy wrote: »

Have you had much change in your insurance premium now you passed the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Surely the system is wrong.When you go to the NDLS
    office with Certificate Of Competency,photo etc,it should be processed while you are there and you leave with your new full licence.Then again common sense is not common at all.

• Advertisement

Can we get the answer to this stickies? OP until you have a license in your hand, your still a learner.

How does that tally then with the fact that the Certificate Of Competency is valid for two years from the date of passing the test?.A person becomes a fully qualified novice driver after passing the test,L plates are taken down and N plates go up,so not a learner anymore.The only restriction on a novice is he/she cannot act as a qualified driver for a learner until the two years are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Technically you still need a everything a learner does until you have the physical licence in your hand. But I doubt a guard would be too hard on you if you are stopped.

If you have already applied for a full licence you will have it in ten days so even if you are stopped you should be able to produce one at a garda station within 10 days.

this is pretty spot on

You do not need a fully qualified driver with you when you pass the test,but still have not got your driving licence.Also the driver tester issues the N plates with the Certificate Of Competency.As I have stated on another post the cert is valid for two years,during which time you can apply for full licence,so it does not make any sense that you continue to be a learner after passing the test.A learner maybe in terms of having to gain more experience on the roads,but not the learner status prior to passing test.

Apologies,there is one other restriction on a driver with cert of competency,no driving on Motorways.Could this be a grey area if you have applied and not yet received full license ?.You have passed the test and the cert is gone to NDLS office,but you have not received license yet.Anyway it's a silly rule as Motorway driving should be included in the lessons for a learner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How does that tally then with the fact that the Certificate Of Competency is valid for two years from the date of passing the test?.A person becomes a fully qualified novice driver after passing the test,L plates are taken down and N plates go up,so not a learner anymore.The only restriction on a novice is he/she cannot act as a qualified driver for a learner until the two years are up.

It's not a drivers license. So you still only hold a learners permit and must adhere to the conditions of one. They tell you that in the test centre when giving you the cert. They tell you that at the ndls centre when you submit the cert.

So... what's the confusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's not a drivers license. So you still only hold a learners permit and must adhere to the conditions of one. They tell you that in the test centre when giving you the cert. They tell you that at the ndls centre when you submit the cert.

So... what's the confusion?

The confusion arises because what you have said and what actually happens do not overlap. If you have the certificate of competency on you or a receipt from the NDLS then practically any guard will wave you on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You do not need a fully qualified driver with you when you pass the test,but still have not got your driving licence.Also the driver tester issues the N plates with the Certificate Of Competency.As I have stated on another post the cert is valid for two years,during which time you can apply for full licence,so it does not make any sense that you continue to be a learner after passing the test.A learner maybe in terms of having to gain more experience on the roads,but not the learner status prior to passing test.

This is not correct. A certificate of competency is not a license, and a driver holding one cannot drive on a motorway, nor can they remove their L plates or drive unaccompanied. They must wait until they receive their full license, and then they may proceed to putting up the N plates etc.

This has been clarified previously on this forum by contacting citizeninformation.ie and they further contacted the Gardai.

Whether this will be enforced by the Gardai is neither here nor there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

By the letter of the law no, You don't have a Driving Licence (Defined in the Road Traffic Act as an Irish Driving License or a Foreign Driving License, not a Learner Permit).

You have a sheet of paper showing that you completed a test, and that the issuing authority was satisfied that you have a satisfactory knowledge of the Rules of the Road allowing them to issue a certificate certifying— that you are competent to drive any specified class or classes of mechanically propelled vehicle, being a class or classes in respect of which a certificate of competency was applied for and which the issuing authority is satisfied that the applicant is competent to drive.

(3) An application for a driving licence

(a) shall be made to the licensing authority in whose functional area the applicant ordinarily resides, (b) shall be made in accordance with the relevant regulations under this Part of this Act, (c) shall be accompanied by any certificate of competency or fitness required under regulations under this Act , and (d) shall be accompanied by the excise duty payable on the taking out of a driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you have the certificate of competency on you or a receipt from the NDLS then practically any guard will wave you on.

The Gardaí refusing to do their job doesn't change what is or isn't legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Gardaí refusing to do their job doesn't change what is or isn't legal.

I never said it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Until the full licence is in your hand physically and you've updated your insurance you have to continue to abide by Learner permit rules.

The biggest problem is insurance not garda, id say most if not all will let you go onwards.

When your involved in accident or collision.
    The insurance document you hold referes to a Learner permit holder and if your not fully compliant with the policy.. when an incident happens your policy won't be honoured.. you won't be covered as you didn't follow its terms.
    The insurance company will go out of its way to check if you were complying so they wont have to pay. You will be uninsured i.e screwed

The most important thing is getting your policy updated to full licence asap even when you hold the full licence in your hand if you dont update the policy your current policy wont cover you as it wont apply to the licence you hold.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Until the full licence is in your hand physically and you've updated your insurance you have to continue to abide by Learner permit rules.

The biggest problem is insurance not garda, id say most if not all will let you go onwards.

When your involved in accident or collision.
    The insurance document you hold referes to a Learner permit holder and if your not fully compliant with the policy.. when an incident happens your policy won't be honoured.. you won't be covered as you didn't follow its terms.
    The insurance company will go out of its way to check if you were complying so they wont have to pay. You will be uninsured i.e screwed

The most important thing is getting your policy updated to full licence asap even when you hold the full licence in your hand if you dont update the policy your current policy wont cover you as it wont apply to the licence you hold.

I would love to hear some proof or evidence of this. This sounds highly dubious to me. Yes you must tell your insurance company, but saying that your policy will be cancelled and you will be uninsured if you fail to do so immediately is not necessarily true, and I would highly doubt an insurance company would act in this way.

I would obviously still recommend anyone who passes tell their insurance asap, as there will likely be a policy reduction/refund.

Odd to bump this thread when there's another more recent floating about. But I think the insurance company are required to pay out on 3rd parties when liability is determined to be yours. The issue is with how much that's going to cost you after.

They aren't the law, nor should they really be involved in it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

The policy applies to the licence worded on the policy text.
    If they dont match up your not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

I would love to hear some proof or evidence of this. This sounds highly dubious to me. Yes you must tell your insurance company, but saying that your policy will be cancelled and you will be uninsured if you fail to do so immediately is not necessarily true, and I would highly doubt an insurance company would act in this way.

I would obviously still recommend anyone who passes tell their insurance asap, as there will likely be a policy reduction/refund.

The policy I had with Liberty had an exemption clause explicitly for losses incurred when the car was driven by an unaccompanied learner driver. I believe that the insurer must still legally pay out any third party claims arising from an accident even when such a clause is present, but they don't have to pay out any claims for damage to the car or injury to the offending driver themselves if such an exemption applies, and they can pursue the driver in court to recover the money they pay out for the third party claim in that situation.

Also, since you've breached the terms of your policy, your insurer will most likely cancel it (generally they can do so at any time per the policy terms provided they give a certain amount of advance notice), and that will make it very difficult and expensive to get a new insurance policy with any insurer for several years afterwards, as the fact that you've had a policy cancelled by an insurer is a "material fact" of which you are required to make any future insurer aware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement