Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If PS5 was released tomorrow....

• 04-09-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭

Ok lets pretend the PS5 was being released tomorrow and it was everything we hoped it would be. More powerful than One x, 4k player and all the bells and whistles for lets say €499.

Would you upgrade your PS4/Pro? I definitely would and i'm just wondering what others are thinking.

(i currently have the Pro which i love by the way but i just love shiney new things)

Would you buy PS5 this year 118 votes

Yes
    27% 33 votes
    No
    31% 37 votes
    If the price was right
    40% 48 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

For €500? Nah, I'm alright for the time being...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nedd

I wouldn’t, i bought my PS4 last year and got loads of games for €20. I couldn’t dedicate enough time or money to a PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Definitely, would try get it on release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don’t think I’d be buying any new console without first upgrading my TV to a 4K HDR model. It’s the reason that I don’t have a PS Pro or Xbox One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No from me.
    Have plenty to keep me going for a long time yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

No, I wouldn't upgrade. Maybe it's an age thing or something, but as opposed to my PS3, I still feel I haven't got enough use out of my PS4 & I bought it back in 2015. Like, I haven't got as many games!

I miss the days where when you'd buy a game there wasn't this whole notion of paying for DLC content on top of it. What a money making scam!

But although in a way it has, I still don't feel enough time has passed regarding this current generation of consoles.

I'd say the PS5 will be released from September - November 2021. I won't shell out €500 or even €400 for one inside the next 2 years anyway.

Fingers crossed its not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I cant remember a console in which i purchased it on release, its a reoccurring issue i see people complain about on release of new consoles, they are always over priced and they have feck all games to play and the system just sits idle for months.

I may get it a year or two later after price drops and theres an actual decent handful of games. Until then ill keep enjoying the prior console and the backlog of remaining great games at reduced prices. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Also, take the switch for example, I want one but its got a terrible catalog of games currently. There is only one game on it id play (Mario odyssey), all its other greats ive played on the WiiU. Its out a year and the only exclusive big game it has is Mario odyssey.

So if i got that last year on release, id have played Mario odyssey, and then the console would be collecting dust then for over a year. The only other offerings are the indy games on it but i can just get them cheaper on the PC. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Probably not as they're still loads of exclusives coming for ps4 in the next year or two at least and I would imagine the ps5 would have feck all games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Probably not as they're still loads of exclusives coming for ps4 in the next year or two at least and I would imagine the ps5 would have feck all games.

But the PS5 will play all those games and they'll be tarted up!!!

Well, that pretty much look how things are going to go. Basically PCs. I wonder do they fear that people will actually just settle, as in it "looks good enough". You already see that with the X and the Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It would normally be a day 1 purchase for me but the price would certainly play a big part in if I was to get it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

€349 - €399 I might be tempted provided I can play my downloaded psn games on it. Most likely I'd wait a year, I bought ps4 on launch and it took me a long time to feel I had something different to a ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nah, wait 12-18 months so they have time to build up a bit of a worthwhile library.

What are people's expectations for this console anyway? What features would you be disappointed if it didn't have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭jones

See i'm torn there is something about having a brand new console that brings me back to my childhood. As others have said some cracking games comes out but i'm assuming that the pretend PS5 coming out tomorrow would be a step up on one x so be a serious machine. Maybe even 4k 60fps dare i say it.

In reality i love my pro and probably couldn't justify buying PS5 straight away

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Depends on the games. If there's a game as monumental as say Mario 64 I'd be there day one.

However if it's like the PS4 I'll wait. The console has been really poor and hasn't stood out at all yet. Launch was very poor as well. I traded my launch pre-order for a WiiU as that had some actual games worth playing. I don't see the PS5 being anything special either with consoles moving to x86 architecture they are pretty homogenous to a PC or competitor consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd get it straight away otherwise I'll end up with TLOU 2 for the PS4 Pro, the PS5 and the remastered version for the PS5 Pro.
    It wouldn't be an essential purchase but I'm weak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »

However if it's like the PS4 I'll wait. The console has been really poor and hasn't stood out at all yet. .

Do you mean Poor launch line up or poor exclusives?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

The generation leap between consoles is getting less and less. I don't think I'd bite straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nah, wait 12-18 months so they have time to build up a bit of a worthwhile library.

What are people's expectations for this console anyway? What features would you be disappointed if it didn't have?

Definitely needs some sort of touchpad on the controller :pac:.
    I'm guessing a PSVR thing will be a much bigger thing. If it had backwards compatibility, even just with downloaded PSN games, that would definitely encourage me to buy it early. But I don't think anyone misses out not getting consoles on release day, I'd wait at least 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see why Sony and Microsoft just don't release the 'PlayStation' and 'Xbox' and make them modular, so you buy hardware upgrades as it goes along. Maybe it's not possible, but i'm sure upgrading the GPU and RAM would be doable, if the CPU can't be upgraded. Modular is the future. Everything will be modular. Consoles could get a head start on that!

• Advertisement

I can't see why Sony and Microsoft just don't release the 'PlayStation' and 'Xbox' and make them modular, so you buy hardware upgrades as it goes along. Maybe it's not possible, but i'm sure upgrading the GPU and RAM would be doable, if the CPU can't be upgraded. Modular is the future. Everything will be modular. Consoles could get a head start on that!

Why would you buy them over a PC? The reason people buy consoles is that they can stick it under the telly, plug it in and they are away with nothing else for them to do. They don't want to be fluting around with sticking bits and pieces together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why would you buy them over a PC? The reason people buy consoles is that they can stick it under the telly, plug it in and they are away with nothing else for them to do. They don't want to be fluting around with sticking bits and pieces together.

Because PCs are not plug and play. When i say modular, I mean you physically buy an upgraded GPU which simply slots in and the console does the legwork. Kinda like swapping out the HDD.

Because PCs are not plug and play. When i say modular, I mean you physically buy an upgraded GPU which simply slots in and the console does the legwork. Kinda like swapping out the HDD.

Most people wouldn't even be arsed doing something as simple as swapping out the HDD. Modular phones died on their arse and I'd imagine any console doing it would suffer the same fate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you mean Poor launch line up or poor exclusives?

Both. The PS4 has exclusives but so far other than bloodborne I haven't been blown away by anything that's not also on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anybody who buys a new console in its first 12 months has more money than common sense, buying early is always very silly. Hopefully ps5 is at least 4 years away, I'd be annoyed with Sony if ps5 came out in the next 2 years considering the ps4 is a superb console at the moment with a good few excellent exclusives. When you get a new console early there's ALWAYS a period when feck all games are coming out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The great thing for me buying the PS4 on launch wasn't about having more money than sense quite the opposite in fact , when they announced the release date I preordered it straight away and started going in weekly to pay off my pre-order rather than shelling out in one big go , and I'd probably do the same thing for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

as a PC gamer I only buy the PS for the exclusives so I normally wait 3 years before buying the console and it has a chance to build a backlog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Skerries wrote: »
    as a PC gamer I only buy the PS for the exclusives so I normally wait 3 years before buying the console and it has a chance to build a backlog

Ditto, I don't care about the graphics really to be honest, but I have the Pro and 1X for the exclusives, as a gamer, you'd be missing out on some of the best offerings of the generation otherwise.

But I do find the 1X and Pro super disappointing thanks to the crap CPUs and resulting terrible framerates in some games. You would expect that not to be an issue these days.

So I would be looking forward to the next gen with the new AMD offerings.

There's a new console being released in China which is a sort of PC/Console hybrid built on a new AMD custom APU. Graphically, similar to PS4 Pro, but the CPU is twice as fast, so all games will run at 60fps. Really interesting, sort of lays the groundwork for what PS5/Xbox whatever will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Both. The PS4 has exclusives but so far other than bloodborne I haven't been blown away by anything that's not also on PC.

I would have also said Yakuza but that series seems to be gradually making it's way over to PC too thankfully.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I would have also said Yakuza but that series seems to be gradually making it's way over to PC too thankfully.

Yeah I bought them all on PS4. Now have to buy them again on PC as I'm more likely to play them on that!

Advertisement