Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

• 15-12-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm only half Irish, one side of my family came here from France in the 1600s.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

How is native Irish defined? Who makes up the other 18%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The OP will be shocked if they ever watch an Irish international football match. The manager from that midlands county named Barnsley
    Water John wrote: »
    I'm only half Irish, one side of my family came here from France in the 1600s.

You taking the horse to France ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racists in 3...2....1.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I am only a filthy half native Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

vladmydad wrote: »
    Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

I am not bothered. Culture counts in my book not colour or ethnicity. As long as the New Irish blend in there'll be no problem. Remember when the Normans gave they were culturally distinct but gradually became more Irish than the Irish themselves. If you start hearing the word Sharia that's when the alarm bells should ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good. We've long needed a bit of mix in our gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

What's Native?

My daughter is only half Irish with me being Welsh. She's born and raised here.

Is the kid in her class that was born here and has a Dublin accent but Polish parents, is he Native?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My family came to Ulster during the 'Plantation' from Scotland before that from Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

There's no doubt Ireland is changing rapidly, even a walk around the city centre or my hometown you hear languages from everywhere... Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I really don't know, one thing I do notice is the fluidity of the way Irish people interact with each other, regardless if they know each other or not.it seems to be lacking in other nationalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

What's Native?

My daughter is only half Irish with me being Welsh. She's born and raised here.

Is the kid in her class that was born here and has a Dublin accent but Polish parents, is he Native?

Don’t the people make the place ?
    I mean if I went to Japan in 40 years and saw (hypothetically) 50% Nigerian , am I in Japan anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

whats there to vote on? Most of our new folk are from the eu so can come here freely and contribute well to the economy, can hardly stop them having kids

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Proof ?

You omit emigration. Many immigrants are here to fill jobs due to the labour shortage.

I know people keep mentioning the Normans, Vikings and the plantations but all of those either came with huge violence or ended up in violence, why would this recent influx be any different in the long run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Ah, one of those not racist but is racist threads. Well done OP for covering that off in your initial post. Then continue on your racist way with your other posts.

Racists in 3...2....1.....
    God I hope not, I’m just looking for a genuine discussion as it’s non existent anywhere in Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

Ahhh, random numbers pulled out of ones arse to back up an argument.
    I mean if I went to Japan in 40 years and saw (hypothetically) 50% Nigerian , am I in Japan anymore ?

Yes, unless it's like the island from lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

According to the last census 18% foreign born, in reality I'd be surprised if its not close to 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t care who comes and goes as long as they are decent people and contribute to society.
    We have an awful problem with “Irish natives” who sponge, sponge, sponge and have done for generations, they pop out kids at a savage rate and so the cycle goes on. This needs to be addressed before we worry about housing poor unfortunates coming from active war zones with their families.

I would love to see a swifter asylum process where decisions were made quickly and those proven to be genuine cases given permits to work and those not making the cut sent immediately back to their point of origin.

rizzodun wrote: »
    It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

Ahhh, random numbers pulled out of ones arse to back up an argument.

But our birth rates are lower so of course Native percentage will continue to decline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

_Brian wrote:
    I don’t care who comes and goes as long as they are decent people and contribute to society. We have an awful problem with “Irish natives†who sponge, sponge, sponge and have done for generations, they pop out kids at a savage rate and so the cycle goes on. This needs to be addressed before we worry about housing poor unfortunates coming from active war zones with their families.

The root causes of long term unemployment are a lot more complicated than just sponging unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I repeat ....
    EDit wrote: »
    How is native Irish defined? Who makes up the other 18%?

You’re saying you want a discussion, but you can’t even answer the most basic question as to “native” means

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

But our birth rates are lower so of course Native percentage will continue to decline

What is 'Native'? Some arbitrary definition?

Surely, it only means Irish Traveller as that group is the only one that is defined. The rest of us are a mix of many different nationalities down the centuries. As invaders/immigrants dna mixed with the locals who weren't actually locals in the first place.

But does anyone find the complete silence on the issue a little Orwellian, I mean it’s a radical societal change in just 20 years with unknown ramifications for future generations and yet it’s just not spoken of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The root causes of long term unemployment are a lot more complicated than just sponging unfortunately

Your right.
    It’s the normalisation of being professionally unemployed by parents and passing that message to their hoard of state sponsored kids.
    Kids who grow up knowing nobody in their family who work or want to work, why educate or try to better yourself when every family member is doing just fine on the scratcher .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know people keep mentioning the Normans, Vikings and the plantations but all of those either came with huge violence or ended up in violence, why would this recent influx be any different in the long run ?

Yeah not xenophobic at all at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Irish school are growing and it’s not just “full Irish” attending....that is great thing to see

The loss of the Irish language is a bigger tragedy that a rating to say what percentage you are irish or not

Instead of people worried about who is coming into the country why not try to act Irish and not American like most people try to do.....

Bit rich for us to complain when Irish people have travelled the world for years and expected to be always accepted

_Brian wrote:
    Your right. It’s the normalisation of being professionally unemployed by parents and passing that message to their hoard of state sponsored kids. Kids who grow up knowing nobody in their family who work or want to work, why educate or try to better yourself when every family member is doing just fine on the scratcher .

Far far more complicated than that, but learned behaviour can also be an element

Shefwedfan wrote:
    The loss of the Irish language is a bigger tragedy that a rating to say what percentage you are irish or not

I'd be more concerned about kids not gaining the most critical life skills via our educational system than learning Irish to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

vladmydad wrote:
    But our birth rates are lower so of course Native percentage will continue to decline[/quote]

What do you consider native? Like how many generations back do you believe needs to qualify one as native Irish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement