Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are these Weather warnings overblown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It seems to me that these weather warning are now completely 'er overblown.
    I mean a bit of rain and a few gusts.
    I was out & about earlier and the amount of events which are imo needlessly cancelled is ridiculous.
    imo we become a nation of snowflakes.

do you agree?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/storm-deirdre-esb-teams-on-standby-as-120kmh-gusts-and-heavy-rain-set-to-batter-the-country-37628922.html

No

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

I was out & about earlier and the amount of events which are imo needlessly cancelled is ridiculous.

do you agree?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/storm-deirdre-esb-teams-on-standby-as-120kmh-gusts-and-heavy-rain-set-to-batter-the-country-37628922.html

Ridiculous go into town now and see if it’s “Overblown”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Ridiculous go into town now and see if it’s “Overblown”

well where i am there is nothing to get excited about.
    perhaps Met Eireann needs to be a bit more geo-specific about its' warnings, rather than issuing blanket warning for the whole country.

we get weather outside of Dublin as well you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

perhaps Met Eireann needs to be a bit more geo-specific about its' warnings, rather than issuing blanket warning for the whole country.

Yeh Met Eireann why don’t you make the inexact science exact ffs :rolleyes:

do you agree?

Tree fell in my estate this afternoon, I guess it was blown over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If its not cold and blustery enough for ya, why are ye looking for yer jumper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Met Eireann needs to be a bit more geo-specific about its' warnings, rather than issuing blanket warning for the whole country.

The orange alert was updated at 14:25 today and is now reduced to just a few specific counties.

But the yellow wind warning remains in place for everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Indeed they are overblown. A yellow or an orange warning for every gust. Conspiracy theorist in me says Met Eireann have been given instructions to play up the bad weather in order to make impending carbon taxes more palatable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Would you not wait until the storm has actually passed through before commenting on the accuracy of the forecasts? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Ah they are, an orange wind warning in Cork and advice not to make unnecessary travel. Come on, I was out spinning around all afternoon, bit of a breeze only.

• Advertisement

Indeed they are overblown. A yellow or an orange warning for every gust. Conspiracy theorist in me says Met Eireann have been given instructions to play up the bad weather in order to make impending carbon taxes more palatable

i think it's all part of the global warming agenda.
    "Look! Look! we told you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Orange alert was geo-specific. Wexford, Waterford, Cork and Donegal. Met eireann gets it fairly accurate. What's overblown is the reaction of some people to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

2p1t97.jpg

:pac:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Would you not wait until the storm has actually passed through before commenting on the accuracy of the forecasts? :confused:

well i'm commenting on the CURRENT situation, which as i've said is not bad at all.
    a bit of rain (which we are well used to) and a few mild gusts.

Nothing to get excited about in the slightest, but no doubt RTEs weather girls reveling in their new found celebrity status will be on Tubs or d'Arcy telling us all how awful it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They are always as geo specific as possible , weather is not an exact science its all guesswork until its actually happening, youre free to go outside and do what you want regardless of the warning anyway its a warning not a rule

I didnt go outside today and didnt even know there was a weather warning in effect but the winds sounded extreme this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

well i'm commenting on the CURRENT situation, which as i've said is not bad at all.
    a bit of rain (which we are well used to) and a few mild gusts.

Nothing to get excited about in the slightest, but no doubt RTEs weather girls reveling in their new found celebrity status will be on Tubs or d'Arcy telling us all how awful it was.

But the warnings run until 7pm, 10pm and midnight. So what's the CURRENT weather got to do with anything?

Or are you just mad to have a go at ME, which seems an awfully trendy thing to do these days for some reason?

wakka12 wrote: »
    They are always as geo specific as possible , weather is not an exact science its all guesswork until its actually happening, youre free to go outside and do what you want regardless of the warning anyway its a warning not a rule

fair point and i do. i went for a cycle this morning as i always do on a Sat. most pleasant.
    however it seems to me that there are many folk who are incapable of thinking for themselves and making a reasoned calculation of risk, so instead they take these warnings too literally, and either stay indoors and/or needlessly cancel events.

maybe the Warning should come with a warning?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think they are a very handy to use as a guide.

Kids soccer this morning was cancelled last night because of a rainfall alert.

And dead right cos it was fairly wet this morning.

Makes it much easier for people to make a call on something and plan.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But the warnings run until 7pm, 10pm and midnight. So what's the CURRENT weather got to do with anything?

Or are you just mad to have a go at ME, which seems an awfully trendy thing to do these days for some reason?

no Heidi nothing personal i assure you.
    we'll see what if anything happens later then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

No don't agree with your statement I'd rather that they aired on the side of caution and give warnings that may save people's lives in the long run.

Think of it this way would you rather they gave out 10 warnings that were "overblown" and nobody was injured or killed.

OR

They were very lax in their warnings and people ended up venturing out on a journey that wouldn't have taken if there was a warning issued and end up getting killed or injured.

I'm always going to be in favour of option 1 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,180 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is my take on the the weather warnings.
    Most of them I've found fairly accurate.
    However it depends in how people react around them.
    I live in North Cork and often the Coast gets the worst of it and gets hit first.
    I remember during a previous weather warning which was due to hit at midday(I think). A guy posted online at about 7am telling everybody it was grand and was giving out about things being cancelled but when about midday landed the weather was fairly bad and things should have being cancelled.

No don't agree with your statement I'd rather that they aired on the side of caution and give warnings that may save people's lives in the long run.

Think of it this way would you rather they gave out 10 warnings that were "overblown" and nobody was injured or killed.

OR

They were very lax in their warnings and people ended up venturing out on a journey that wouldn't have taken if there was a warning issued and end up getting killed or injured.

I'm always going to in favour of option 1 myself.

well the Dept of Transport may as well give daily warnings to road users to stay at home. i can guarantee you more folk will be killed by RTAs in a week than by a year of weather.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Maybe the good people of Met Eireann are non-nationals, completely new to Ireland.

Just a heads up to anyone heading to Spain on the hollyers next summer, Orange Alert, it may be sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Issuing warnings and threats to people will get them nowhere

A bit of diplomacy is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was driving from limerick to Ennis today trust me nothing overblown about the warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,479 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Or lifeguards when they go for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where are they issuing threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What annoys me the most is all these bloody small craft warnings. Havn't been able to use my small craft for months as a result :(

I was driving from limerick to Ennis today trust me nothing overblown about the warnings

i do think the bottom half of the country has been worst hit.

• Advertisement

maybe Met Eireann need to issue a winter weather warning?

"please be careful during the winter season, as you can expect wintry weather like rain, wind, possibly hail and snow. be careful out there folks!"

Advertisement