Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever looked for praise on social media?

Options
  • 16-12-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭

Every so often I see a story being shared about somebody helping somebody across the road or donating some food to charity or helping the homeless and looking for praise about it and sometimes they might include something there kid does as well.
    What is the exact deal with people doing this is it to encourage others to help or are they looking for praise or hoping to get something out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No that would be silly.

Thanks button over there ->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll open a social media account, have a bit of a read through the various posts, and report back in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Type an amen if this OP has restored your faith in humanity. 99 out of 100 of my friends won't have time to do this.

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I don't usually post on things like this....*50 lines on something they've realised in their life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'm sure some people DO look for praise and recognistion, personally, I don't look for praise in real life so why would I do so in social media....

Now hit the like button here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

One day I helped an old lady with her shopping, but I wouldn't go on social media fishing for praise, explaining how I went out of my way to help her expecting thanks. That lady wouldn't have eaten and probably starved to death if I hadn't of been there, but I don't expect thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The #hometovote crowd were desperately seeking praise

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love the "look at this great fella, he paid €50 to a homeless guy and took him into a cafe for a meal"......yeah, but he made sure he was getting filmed for every second of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NSAman wrote: »
    I'm sure some people DO look for praise and recognistion, personally, I don't look for praise in real life so why would I do so in social media....

Now hit the like button here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:)

Hey I wasn't looking for praise first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Faint praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The one I love is the "so blessed" on LinkedIn

So blessed to graduate today with 1st class honours

So blessed to lead this team to blah achievement

so lucky - also works

LOOK AT ME!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Remember when people hijacked the Pieta House Darkness into Light craze for a while there just to stick a few pics up on FB to garner likes?

Look, we've all looked for some kind of validation through social media at some stage but I find it's the most insecure that constantly seek attention and a kind of weird approval on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Half the country once did.

Ice
    Bucket
    Challenge

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

You know what annoys me.. posts on social media with pictures of kids/parents/grandparents etc (who aren't on social media) with the caption "Happy birthday to my beautiful niece" etc.

Shut up. Your niece is one years old. She's hardly going to see this you moron

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Half the country once did.

Ice
    Bucket
    Challenge

Plenty of eejits doing that without donating anything. Same for the girlos doing the #NoMakeUp thing while some clearly were wearing make up and filtering the picture to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Shut up. Your niece is one years old. She's hardly going to see this you moron

And even if she could, she won't be able to read it.

Another subtle humble brag of sorts on birthdays is posting a photo on a friend's profile of the pair of you but you look your absolute best in it. Sod what the bday girl/boy looks like.

Advertisement