Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anthem

• 09-01-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

How many of you are picking this up? Parent company is EA but its developed by Bioware who are normally top notice.

Open Beta starts on the 1st Feb for 3 days.

I really want this to be good and will likely pick it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

After the mess that was Mass Effect Andromeda, not a chance.

That was EA and Bioware too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

After the mess that was Mass Effect Andromeda, not a chance.

That was EA and Bioware too.

Fair point, but EA did push Bioware to release an unfinished game. I would put more blame on EA than Bioware.

I am cautiously optimistic about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

there is no bioware anymore, its just a branch of ea at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really want it to do well because I want the next Dragon Age to get made, but I think that Bioware have placed the wrong bet at the wrong time. This was greenlit in the wake of the first Destiny hitting hard, but things have moved on since then and I'm not sure there's still the appetite for a game like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Anthem is being developed by Bioware Edmonton, the original Bioware studio which was responsible for the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect Andromeda was developed by Bioware Montreal, the former support studio that ended up leading development on Andromeda.

Bioware Edmonton also made Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

To put it another way, the name of the studio making the game doesn't necessarily offer a definitive indication of how it's going to turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wont be a day one purchase or preorder for me, Casey Hudson has been very vague about what the game actually is and how it plays, i got a distinct Fallout76 vibe about it. Will be watching the thread and the bioware blog for more but yeah, their rep for solid single player RPG's is badly tarnished after Andromeda for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Played 2 Alphas, day one for me.

Its Destiny in lil baby mech suits running on the Frostbite engine.

There is a full mission on IGN which will sell you either way but the Alphas lacked the forge (customization) next one should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Played 2 Alphas, day one for me.

Was there an NDA? if not, can you elaborate on single player, CH was and is very vague about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm a bit on the fence but I'll definitely give the open beta a look to see f it can sell me on it. If they manage to pull off a game with the addictive loot grinding of destiny that still manages to have a satisfying campaign similar in scope and detail to a mass effect game it will be quite the feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Have origin premium so i'll be definitely giving it a whirl.
    Destiny 2 grind has broken me.
    Time to move onto something new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Was there an NDA? if not, can you elaborate on single player, CH was and is very vague about it.

Think there was an NDA for the pre xmas one, but there was forced SP because MP wasnt working.

The game scaled but imo its a coop game and should be played that way altho I think the same for Destiny and a lot players solo that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Played the alpha, was alright, bit of a Warframe/Destiny buzz with some flying thrown in, thought the controls would be shíte but got to grips with it handy enough, will see what the next demo is like before making up my mind...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll definitely give it a go, as i have Origin Premium as well. I actually like the look of it, especially the latest trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

but i already played a destiny game twice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Saw the recent gameplay video. Looks boring. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Saw the recent gameplay video. Looks boring. :|

I think you would need to play it to get a proper feel for it. I will play the beta on Feb 1st and may a decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I thought this was an action adventure game.
    If it's anything like Grindstiny, it can bite the back of my bollix :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As much as I liked the general gameplay of Destiny, and even enjoyed Destiny 2 for a while, this to me just looks like another Destiny. I think it'll be a reasonably good game, but at the same time I don't know if I could bring myself to play it. Certainly not until a good bit after launch if people are proclaiming it to be brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Been following this a while via some non mainstream youtubers and it looks pretty good but as with all looter games it will all boil down to endgame content.
    The Division died pretty fast with player count dropping dramatically and never recovered despite countless content patches and DLC.
    Both Anthem and The Division 2 need a robust endgame at launch or they will suffer the same faith.
    Solid gameplay and shiney visuals in a looter game is only scratching the surface,they need so much more to keep players longterm.

Destiny 2 suffered the same faith but atleast its Forsaken DLC transformed the game into a proper engame looter shooter ,with the Division massive failed miserably trying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

State of it. Live services bolox again.
    They masked it well for a while.

• Advertisement

I thought it was always a given that that's the type of game it was going to be? Certainly what I presumed from the start anyway. I don't think there was ever any attempt to mask that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Andrew Wilson, the EA CEO, said this a month prior to the reveal of the game in an Earnings Call...
    The game is built around a live service, and through our creative process, we've decided to add more to the disruptive new social designs for our players.

It's also been discussed in nearly every major article about the game since said reveal and has even been confirmed to be an online-only title by the EP of the project.

If they were trying to mask it they were doing a pretty awful job at it. :pac:

gizmo wrote: »

i3eLl.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Penn wrote: »
    i3eLl.gif

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i imagine it will go the same route as fallout 76, a dev thats speciality is sp story driven games transitioning to live service loot n shooter. I hope im wrong as i used to have absolute blind faith in bioware and would love to see them come back massively but i just dont see it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

gizmo wrote: »
    Andrew Wilson, the EA CEO, said this a month prior to the reveal of the game in an Earnings Call...

It's also been discussed in nearly every major article about the game since said reveal and has even been confirmed to be an online-only title by the EP of the project.

It's still ****e :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It looks like someone playing Destiny as Iron Man.
    I'll be keeping an eye on it but it doesn't interest me enough to warrant a purchase.
    Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For those interested in picking this up cheap, thegamecollection are offering preorders of the standard edition for £32.95 (€37.95) for people with accounts on the site. Smyths are selling it for €55 if you collect in store.

Open Beta is on February 1st to 3rd and the VIP beta for those with Origin Access or preordered the game, January 25th to 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've googled, and I've read, and i'm still not clear, but can this be played 100% single player? I have no interest in the MP, and they're claiming it can be played SP, but they said Destiny was SP also, and it was, you just couldn't get the good stuff without other people. So it wasn't.

It's not doing anything for me so far. Got burned with Destiny 1, didn't give Destiny 2 a go as enough people were telling me it wasn't an improvement. I do like that the original ME/DA devs are behind this, gives me some hope, but definitely won't be day 1, most likely not at all tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement