Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used PS4 Gamestop

• 13-01-2019 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I went into Gamestop in Blanch center earlier and got talking to a girl there about a used PS4, she brought one out to me and it was in a shrink wrapped box and she said they are completely refurbished and like new in the box, but she couldn't open it to show me the unit unless I was buying it since it was a sealed product. I have no idea what Gamestops definition of refurbished like new means... I'm fussy and if I unboxed it to find a scuffed up dented in the cornors PS4 in there I'd be annoyed.. Anyone any experience with a used PS4 from gamestop? It was 269 euro and not the slim version, for an extra 40 euro I could get a brand new PS4 slim...... Maybe that's a no brainer, but I always preferred the look and feel of the standard PS4 hence why I'm considering a used one. I have not found a standard non slim PS4 brand new anywhere since I think they stopped making them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Have no experience with used consoles but I think you'd be insane not to cough up the extra €40 for a brand new console because you prefer the look and feel (?) of the standard PS4. You'll have a more reliable console and the full warranty.

Also, I wouldn't touch a used console after seeing what posters on here have admitted they've traded in. Dodgey consoles and controllers, third party hdmi and power leads, etc.

I'd like to think that GameStop thoroughly test all components before putting them back up for sale. As you said yourself, it's a no brainer and I tend to agree. Just my 2 cents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Ah ye, I'll go for a brand new PS4 slim. I haven't read any of those horror stories of what was traded in, I'll have to read a few :).

sugarman wrote: »
    I traded in mine for the Pro last year, it was a launch model on its last legs.. I mean it spotless and worked fine, but the heat and noise off it and the amount of use it seen over those 5 years I knew it wouldn't last much longer.

None of the cables were original either and the controller was absolutely in bits ...id taken it apart to give it a scrub and stick new thumb sticks on it to make it look better. They tested everything for all of 60 seconds. Mine was far from the worst too, loads of units were covered it dust and food etc..

Wouldnt touch one, so yea.. good choice going new.

Slim is obviously smaller, buts its lot quieter too and doesnt suffer the same issues as the original with noise, overheating, faulty HDMI ports and discs ejecting. Which reminds me, mine was also sent off for repair discs ejecting!

Sounds like a disaster buying used.

I buying brand new one tomorrow, a white one just to be different.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Personally, I would wait and save a small bit more, and get a new Pro. Currently €400, but keep an eye out as it can sometimes drop slightly or come with a free new game, which you can trade back in for a few quid. I would never buy a pre-owned console nowadays. Just walk into CEX and see the ones they have for sale. Shocking conditions. Surprised they take some of them in.

Personally, I would wait and save a small bit more, and get a new Pro. Currently €400, but keep an eye out as it can sometimes drop slightly or come with a free new game, which you can trade back in for a few quid. I would never buy a pre-owned console nowadays. Just walk into CEX and see the ones they have for sale. Shocking conditions. Surprised they take some of them in.

I did briefly look at a white PS4 PHAT in CEX, the one I seen on display had a completely broken USB port, the piece in the middle of the port was broken off, 269 euro for this particular system, other PS4's were 279 euro.... Jesus a brand fcking new PS4 slim with FIFA 19 or Red redemption 2 is 299 euro.

I'm not going to bother with the PRO since I don't have big 4k TV to take advantage of it. The slim is good enough for a middle of the road gamer like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone expecting a price drop soon? Just looking for the basic ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I did briefly look at a white PS4 PHAT in CEX, the one I seen on display had a completely broken USB port, the piece in the middle of the port was broken off, 269 euro for this particular system, other PS4's were 279 euro.... Jesus a brand fcking new PS4 slim with FIFA 19 or Red redemption 2 is 299 euro.

I'm not going to bother with the PRO since I don't have big 4k TV to take advantage of it. The slim is good enough for a middle of the road gamer like me.

It's not just for 4K though, games will run smoother on your HD TV, loading is slightly decreased, and some 1080p TVs can support HDR also. Plus it future proofs you, in case you do upgrade!

But, I can also see why you don't want to. Whichever option you take, as long as it's a PS4, you'll be grand!

I'm running around all weekend trying to get the PS4 Red redemption 2 bundle.... Everywhere is out of stock except gamestop.... It's 30 more expensive in Gamestop compared to Argos, Harvey Norman and PC World...

Where else can I walk in and buy this pack for 299 ? Not buying it off Gamespot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I'm running around all weekend trying to get the PS4 Red redemption 2 bundle.... Everywhere is out of stock except gamestop.... It's 30 more expensive in Gamestop compared to Argos, Harvey Norman and PC World...

Where else can I walk in and buy this pack for 299 ? Not buying it off Gamespot.

Got one yesterday in Smyths in the Drogheda store €339

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Got one yesterday in Smyths in the Drogheda store €339

They are in stock at 339, but a lot of other places have it for 299, just out of stock. If i can say myself 40 then that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just my 2 cents. Back in the day I worked in a busy computer games store. The testing of a second hand console should be thorough, but unfortunately it's down to the staff member. We'd some staff who took in faulty consoles that wouldn't even power on. Naturally we gave a warranty, so any issues would be sorted for a customer. One of our sales targets was aimed at console trade-ins, so the more sales focused staff would accept anything to boost their figures.
    Over the years I did see some trash come in. Consoles that had been manhandled, air intakes blocked with dust, filthy controllers that stank of cigarette smoke... All of which I wouldn't touch, but others would.
    It's impossible to tell how much use a console has gotten before it's brought to be traded in. I dealt with many a customer who'd come back to us with an Xbox that is showing a red ring of death right after their warranty went out.

In short, I'd always be wary about purchasing second hand consoles. But in your situation I think you'd be mad not to go with the updated console when it'll only cost you an extra €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

I used to work in game, never buy a used console. most of the time they are traded in because they are beginning to fail etc. we had loads being brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Looking to upgrade to a PS Pro, any advice on where would be the best value to buy from?

I bit the bullet and bought the PS4 FIFA 19 bundle for 299... Gave up looking for the red dead redemption 2 bundle :(. I HATE football games so I'm putting FIFA 19 sealed in pack on Adverts. Anyways, at least I have a brand new unused PS4 with a years warranty now. I'm going to CEX tomorrow and see what used game bargains I can pick up so I can start playing this piece of art. I see gamesh!te have GTA5 brand new for 25 so I'll be getting that anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see gamesh!te have GTA5 brand new for 25 so I'll be getting that anyways.

€14.99 on the Playstation Store...

Doodah7 wrote: »
    €14.99 on the Playstation Store...

Ah, too late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Would a price cut be following here after a price cut in Korea http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/01/south_korea_goes_crazy_for_cut-price_ps4

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Would a price cut be following here after a price cut in Korea http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/01/south_korea_goes_crazy_for_cut-price_ps4

Doubtful, unless the PS5 is unexpectedly upon us earlier then anticipated.

Advertisement