Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will PS3 games always be accessible

• 16-01-2019 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying infamous collection on PS3 but heard about the Wii store being shutdown and people at some stage won't even be able to access games that they bought. Could that happen with the PS3? How do people who have PSPs redownload games that they've already bought. Can they use their PC to do it? This awful Wii store mess makes me wonder if I want to buy digital games anymore at all. Even if they are cheaper if you're going to have to pay for a massive harddrive(which will probably break eventually anyway) to store them indefinitely or end up losing access to them altogether then what's the point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I mainly wanted to know how it worked out for PSP owners as that would probably be how consoles would be handled in the future with regards downloading bought games but I feel no-one is ever going to answer my question here so I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I mainly wanted to know how it worked out for PSP owners as that would probably be how consoles would be handled in the future with regards downloading bought games but I feel no-one is ever going to answer my question here so I give up.

Wouldn't not be cheaper buying physical disks?

I'm sure infamous can be picked up for pennies at this stage.

Wouldn't not be cheaper buying physical disks?

I'm sure infamous can be picked up for pennies at this stage.

Nope not pennies.
    Infamous games can be had cheap though.
    It's a little more expensive to buy physical copies because of the sale which ends tonight.
    I made the decision to go with physical copies in the end anyway.
    The convenience of popping in a disc and installing versus waiting around 3 hours or more for a slow download if I needed to delete and redownload made me decide I'll stick with discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FWIW Nintendo have always been quick to kill off support. That said its not unreasonable to think PS3/360 will see EOL soon. They are 11/12 years old.

Would be nice to see Sony/MS drop patches to fix DRM checks etc before killing them but I doubt we'd be so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

There's a few on adverts for 5 euro and less.
    I used EBay for a while and could pick up games for next to nothing. Shipping could be a few euro.
    You can haggle in CEX too if you're buying a few games.
    Great games. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Infamous is also available on PS Now if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ED E wrote: »
    FWIW Nintendo have always been quick to kill off support. That said its not unreasonable to think PS3/360 will see EOL soon. They are 11/12 years old.

Would be nice to see Sony/MS drop patches to fix DRM checks etc before killing them but I doubt we'd be so lucky.

Even older, the 360 will be 14 in December. The PS3 will be 13 in March.

Sure the PS4 was 5 in December, the PS5 will be out in 2 years time. I'd say PS3 production and support will end then.

I decided to take a chance on the download this time.
    Infamous collection is only 7.49 so it's very cheap and handy and I've loads of hard drive space so I went for it anyway.
    Thanks lads.

Advertisement