Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used BMW i3 experiences

• 23-01-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    Been pouring over this forum for last while because we’re looking at getting a 2nd car and a used electric i3 is an option we’re considering. My wife would be driving it as she does a 30 minute commute each way to work with motorway driving about 20 minutes of that. We have a toddler so a child seat would need to be fitted as well. We’ve never been in the BMW or Mercedes type price range for a car and I’m a bit worried about the running costs and reliability. Are they a reliable car generally? Is fixing it if something breaks going to cost thousands?
    I’ve been doing the sums and while the car loan would be higher it looks like our monthly outgoings would be about the same/slightly cheaper as buying a relatively new/new Skoda citigo or VW up once we remove the cost of the diesel we fork out every month for my wife’s commute. We would also be getting a lot more car for our money with the i3. I mostly cycle to work so I won’t be driving a whole lot anyway. Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Journey time means very little. If you can provide distances for the journey it would promote an easier response.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Waitin4thebus

It’s about 40km each way with mix of motorway (About half) and single carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

I would think with reliability you are taking the engine out of the equation so should be much better in theory.. I do a similar commute and think something like an i3 would suit me to.. mad_lad has a thread and is probably the resident expert here on i3's...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Used i3 owner here. Have a 161 and must be close to a year we have it. Haven't had any hint of anything going wrong with it as yet. Nice to drive and I'd regularly use it to do a round trip of 70kms. About 30-35 of that at motorway speed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s about 40km each way with mix of motorway (About half) and single carriageway.

80km. Would you consider a full Electric Vehicle rather than a hybrid?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    80km. Would you consider a full Electric Vehicle rather than a hybrid?

Did the OP specify a Rex model?

mordeith wrote: »
    Did the OP specify a Rex model?

Good point.

Sorry..i’d Prefer full electric 94ah/33kw version but would consider the smaller battery model and Rex if people felt it was a good option

Sorry..i’d Prefer full electric 94ah/33kw version but would consider the smaller battery model and Rex if people felt it was a good option

Rex is very useful but if you have a second ICE car and home charging then the 94ah would suit easily.

Has anybody had any experience with child seat? Looked at few YouTube videos that I found but would like to hear from forumers living with it day to day?

• Advertisement

Has anybody had any experience with child seat? Looked at few YouTube videos that I found but would like to hear from forumers living with it day to day?

Only used those booster seats with the high back. No problem with them. The coach doors will be great for getting the seat (and the child) in and out. Just don't ask Soarer... he hates em! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

I had an extended test drive in one (3 days), and found the back doors to be an absolute disaster! Two young fellas (7 & 10) being dropped to school/training/matches, and each stop involves the driver having to get out and open their door.
    The fact you've a small kid means you kinda have to do that anyway. Pain in the hole.

- The "windows" in the back don't open. Again, mightn't be a big issue.

- Couldn't control the bluetooth audio from my phone using the steering wheel!

- The auto-wipers need to be turned on everytime you start the car, even if they're already "on". Apparently this is a safety thing!

- The reversing screen doesn't automatically revert to the previous screen once you're out of reverse. So if you reverse and park, you have to manually display the radio again (or whatever).

Loads of little niggly things like that that would drive me mad coming from a Leaf.

As a driver's car though, it's unbelievable. So much so that, even with all the foibles listed above, I find myself always thinking about buying one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

Only used those booster seats with the high back. No problem with them. The coach doors will be great for getting the seat (and the child) in and out. Just don't ask Soarer... he hates em! :-)

:o

Soarer wrote: »
    I had an extended test drive in one (3 days), and found the back doors to be an absolute disaster! Two young fellas (7 & 10) being dropped to school/training/matches, and each stop involves the driver having to get out and open their door.
    The fact you've a small kid means you kinda have to do that anyway. Pain in the hole.

- The "windows" in the back don't open. Again, mightn't be a big issue.

- Couldn't control the bluetooth audio from my phone using the steering wheel!

- The auto-wipers need to be turned on everytime you start the car, even if they're already "on". Apparently this is a safety thing!

- The reversing screen doesn't automatically revert to the previous screen once you're out of reverse. So if you reverse and park, you have to manually display the radio again (or whatever).

Loads of little niggly things like that that would drive me mad coming from a Leaf.

As a driver's car though, it's unbelievable. So much so that, even with all the foibles listed above, I find myself always thinking about buying one!

Mine only has the reversing sensor screen (but not the camera) but goes back to the previous screen no problems.
    I haven't tried the Bluetooth controls from the steering wheel yet but must see if I have the same issue.

One thing I have noticed is the passenger mirror will tilt downwards when reversing but not every time. Not sure if I'm disabling it somehow or it's just temperamental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

One thing I have noticed is the passenger mirror will tilt downwards when reversing but not every time. Not sure if I'm disabling it somehow or it's just temperamental.

In my Honda the tilt will only happen when I've the mirror adjustment button (not the "joypad") selecting the passenger window i.e. flicked to the left.
    Could be the same (or variant of) with yours?

Mine only has the reversing sensor screen (but not the camera) but goes back to the previous screen no problems.
    I haven't tried the Bluetooth controls from the steering wheel yet but must see if I have the same issue.

That feature, as per every other Bmw with the option is depending on the position of the switch on the drivers door that goes to left or right for adjusting the mirrors.

slave1 wrote: »
    In my Honda the tilt will only happen when I've the mirror adjustment button (not the "joypad") selecting the passenger window i.e. flicked to the left.
    Could be the same (or variant of) with yours?

Good call. I'll try that. The folding mirror button is right beside so it's quite likely I nudged it

I got an i3 33 Kwh Rex 2017 with 46,000 Kms.

No issues with reliability and have 3 yr and 4.5 yr old, car seats are no issue what so ever.

Yes indeed the Rex is a mighty life saver and has got me out of many situations which would have been extremely frustrating in a BEV only due to the extremely poor charger situation in Ireland.

One good example was when we drove around the west of Ireland , from Limerick all around the ring was done on EV from home, all around the ring with about 45 min stop for food and plugged in at AC point @ 11 Kw, without the AC I would have need to use the Rex a lot earlier.

Got to Killarney , DC is ChaDEMo only which I was aware of, AC point was dead despite showing as working on the map. So next morning we had to use the Rex all the way to Cashel and without it we would have had to put it on the back of a truck.

On a trip to Galway in December I met a Leaf 40 Kwh and Ioniq owner at the charger in Ballinasloe and they were also p1ssed off with the network, so while the BEV is great for your Wife's 40 Km commute if you take it on longer trips you need to prepared for queues, it will happen and with small Children who may otherwise have already been an hour or more in the car may not appreciate being bored in the car while you charge another 30 mins or possibly have to wait 30 mins before your 30 min charge, that's 1 hr in total, if there are 2 cars waiting then it will be awful experience and your Wife and Children may loose the rag.

My Oh can just about tolerate a 30 min charge and it's hard to keep the boys from going mad in the back and I'm not someone who will give them Ipads or phones to entertain them , they get books to read or toys to play with but it's better if you Can get out and go in to get food somewhere but when you get back to the car you might meet a p1ssed off Leaf driver scolding you for leaving the car while it's charging lol.

Anyway, if you go for the BEV it will save you money for sure and take the 2nd car for the long trips.

The i3 has a very useful 11 Kw 3 phase charger but you will need to buy a 32 amp 3 phase charge lead as BMW only provide a 32 amp single phase charge lead. 11 Kw can get from 10-90 % in little over 2 hrs, it is very useful.

The rear doors are a pain in tight spaces but I usually park somewhere there is no car beside me but sometimes I can't but it's not something I'd personally let influence my decision not to get the car, I was aware of it when I bought it.

I was critical of the i3 at first but the 500 odd km test drive convinced me it will be my next car, it's as if BMW designed it for Irish back roads it's a joy to drive.

We have 2 cars but the reason I got the Rex was because of the charger situation and because I can't always take the Outlander if my OH is using it and my insurance will not allow me drive anything fully comp without having to call them up and transfer.

Go take a test drive int he i3 and i3 S you will not want to give it back !

The 42 Kwh is now available for an amazing 400 Euro extra.

Thanks for all the feedback hugely appreciated..I’m leaning towards an i3 and will look into getting one brought in from uk before Brexit screws things!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭spuddy

Have an i3 and a toddler, doors are brilliant for rear access. Great to drive, puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Buy one, you won't regret it!

2k3GWV4h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

I have a BMW i3 94AH with Rex and I have now 75000 KM I bought it last year with 31000KM and it is a great car the doors are a nuisance I dont have kids so it doesn't really affect me.

I had a problem with the steering making a clicking noise but this was repaired under warranty. Great car drive takes a little getting use to do can be a bit skittish especially on frosty morning

zoom_cool wrote: »
    I have a BMW i3 94AH with Rex and I have now 75000 KM I bought it last year with 31000KM and it is a great car the doors are a nuisance I dont have kids so it doesn't really affect me.

I had a problem with the steering making a clicking noise but this was repaired under warranty. Great car drive takes a little getting use to do can be a bit skittish especially on frosty morning

What's your battery capacity ? dying to know lol.

75,000 Kms for 30K that's good going. Do you use the Rex much ? great isn't it ?

https://bmwi3owner.com/2016/01/secrets/

My i3 is going in for service on the 28th Feb and they're loaning me the 42 Kwh and I'm going to ask them for the S if they can get it, dying to get a spin in that !

My battery capacity is 29.5kw when I bought it was 29.7kw so absolutely no real degradation. I use the REX on some long journeys not that frequently the last time I filled It was November and still have half tank.

That’s pretty good so far, hopefully the amazing cycle life of the battery proves correct.

Mine is down about .2 as well lol probably due to the colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Patser

Have a 2nd hand 60ah, pure BEV, 1 small kid and similar commute to what OP described.

Loving it.

Little one in back enjoys the high seating position with the low cut window, gives her a great view of the world outside. I also have a sunroof, so again increases the feeling of airiness.

Cheap to run, saving to planet, etc etc etc but real reason I love it is the performance. It's just so much fun, and so smooth. Go kart racing in silence and comfort.

Downsides - yes, rear doors are cool and actually handy if you're putting in infants, but often niggly as you have to get out to let passengers out. And if you're parked side by side with cars, there's often a little dance of open front door, open rear door, shuffle up inside front door, close rear door, shuffle back, close front door, now you're no longer trapped.

Also I'm having no issue with my 60ah range, but the 94ah, 120ah (if you can afford) or Rex option advisable just to give more and more flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Patser wrote: »
    Have a 2nd hand 60ah, pure BEV, 1 small kid and similar commute to what OP described.

Loving it.

Little one in back enjoys the high seating position with the low cut window, gives her a great view of the world outside. I also have a sunroof, so again increases the feeling of airiness.

Cheap to run, saving to planet, etc etc etc but real reason I love it is the performance. It's just so much fun, and so smooth. Go kart racing in silence and comfort.

Downsides - yes, rear doors are cool and actually handy if you're putting in infants, but often niggly as you have to get out to let passengers out. And if you're parked side by side with cars, there's often a little dance of open front door, open rear door, shuffle up inside front door, close rear door, shuffle back, close front door, now you're no longer trapped.

Also I'm having no issue with my 60ah range, but the 94ah, 120ah (if you can afford) or Rex option advisable just to give more and more flexibility.

Curious to know what sort of range you are getting at the moment in the 60ah?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Patser

MM3 wrote: »
    Curious to know what sort of range you are getting at the moment in the 60ah?

M

Fully charged it's saying 100km, but I work shift, so tend to have lovely empty motorways at 5am, so since range is estimated over previous driving, I'd be confident I could stretch that if needed. Last summer was getting ranges of 130 in the morning

Thanks Patser.

Next question (BTW expect more :) ) I was looking at an i3 with the 20" 430 alloys , anyone here running on those? Is the ride much more harsh than the 19"?

Thanks

M

I run the 20 inch 430 alloys and do t find them that bad but never had 19 so can't compare

• Advertisement

Couple more questions for anyone who bought in the uk:

- did you get a 3rd party inspection done? I’ll probably buy from a bmw dealer so probably not required?
    - How did you get the car back? I don’t fancy a 4-5 drive for my first EV experience 😎. Anyone recommend a transport company?

M

Advertisement