Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Film Festival 2019

Options
  • 24-01-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Quite a decent line up this year. New films from Paolo Sorrentino, Zhang Yimou, Neil Jordan, Jia Zhangke and Jacques Audiard amongst others.

I don’t know why they moved the Surprise film to the first Sunday. It clashes with too many other films. I might have to give it a miss this year.

I think the Surprise film has lost a lot of its charm anyway since the Savoy One went. That collective sense of anticipation and excitement that the Savoy helped generate wasn’t there last year in a smaller cinema.

https://www.diff.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A pretty underwhelming line-up tbh: there's a few I'd like to see scattered there, but will mostly be resorting to the tactic of picking a few random offerings and hoping for the best or a pleasant surprise!

An Elephant Sitting Still is the only must see there for me (in that it's the only one that jumps out that won't be getting a full cinema release), although it's on at super weird times (1.45pm on a Wednesday, and 11am on Sunday in Rathmines). Think it should be out digitally / on disc before then so might just go that route tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Maybe I'm imagining it but I was sure tickets were a tenner not so long ago. 13 quid is pushing it for what looks to be a poor enough line-up.

I remember grabbing tickets for 6-10 films in the past but not a single one jumps out at me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,037 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Greta (Neil Jordan), Mid 90s (Jonah Hill, writing directing debut) and The Sisters Brothers interest me

Is Stephen Merchant the only "big name" attendee?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Not much buzz about compared to other years.

Seeing my first film of the festival tonight anyway (Mid90s in the Lighthouse).

Projected logo on the Smithfield chimney a nice touch:

20190221-192940.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Not much buzz about compared to other years.

I've said this before but maybe it would be no harm changing those running the show just to bring in some fresh ideas as it seems to have lost whatever appeal it had years back. The February slot isn't ideal in terms of getting some exclusives but the festival seems to have died a death and could do with some fresh blood IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I’m like a broken record saying the February slot isn’t ideal... but the February slot really isn’t ideal :pac: The Cork Film Festival is in a much better slot, and their line-up last year was superb. Proximity to London means they get really major films a good few months before they show up commercially.

There’s no doubt great films at DIFF this year - hell, I’ve seen a few already elsewhere so can testify to that. But so much of it is at this stage expensive tickets for screenings a few weeks before a wider release. An Elephant Sitting Still was my only must see film, but it’s already on VOD and DVD (I’d have loved to see it in the cinema, but wasn’t worth taking a day off when I could watch it whenever - anyone going to see it at DIFF is in for a treat though!) I was hoping a new sponsor and more investment would encourage a slightly more ambitious programme, even allowing for the February problem. Maybe next year.

Oh well. Can’t make as much films this year for schedule reasons anyway but hoping the few I do get to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

What are the must see films this year lads? Also any classic films worth watching? An Autumn Afternoon was a magical experience last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Anyone going to Charlie Chaplin tomorrow? I went to see the Buster Keaton film accompanied with a live piano score a few years back and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Reminds me of the Edinburgh Film Festival, which was rolling along nicely until some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to move it to June so as not to confilct with the main festival. Didn't work out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Hotel Mumbai is a retelling of the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008. It's mainly set in the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel and focuses on several guests and staff as they try to survive the ordeal.

It's tense stuff but I had too many problems with it. It's corny and manipulative. Characters make stupid decisions and get picked off one by one. The Mumbai police are mainly bumbling fools.

The film attempts to humanise the terrorists and then, bizarrely, romanticises their cause. Odd, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

I have 2 tickets for the sold out Q&A showing of EIGHTH GRADE on Wednesday, but we can't go now.
    No refunds possible at DIFF
    Anyone Interested?? Send me a PM

Dragged Across Concrete was one of the more bizarre choices for surprise film. There were times I felt it was overtly trolling the audience - its long, redundant scenes; the casual bigotry; the nihilism; the weird repetitive dialogue. Some of it was absolutely terrible - the stretch where they introduced the bank worker was some grade-a horse****. There's a certain amount of craft to it, and its '**** it, I'll take as long as I want to get through this' was semi-admirable. Ultimately, though, it was all a bit patience-trying for no major rewards beyond a conventional heist story told in an unconventional way.

All that said, I do think 2 hours and 40 mins is ripping the piss for that slot. I had a ticket for another film at 8:40 I couldn't make because of the surprise's extended running time. I have no problem whatsoever with long films, but I do think they should keep in mind that there's other screenings on the same evening that people need to make it to, and Odeon is out of the way anyway. Maybe that's why they moved it to the first week, simply so they wouldn't eat into the time of the more important closing film. Bit of a bummer, though.

Duelles was an attempt at a Claude Chabrol/Hitchcock psycho drama that failed in every way. And a useless ending that felt like a kick in the teeth.

To The Ends of the World was a bit odd. It was very moody and atmospheric and also quite explicit. There wasn't much of a narrative but it left an impression.

Seen Everybody Knows tonight (Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem).

Found it quite dull tbh.

None of the characters were all that likable and so it was hard to get into it.

A lot of people in the rows around us audibly groaned at the ending, and I get why, but I was just happy it was over.

Loro, the new film from Paolo Sorrentino, is about Silvio Berlusconi and various unscrupulous people and hangers on trying to attract his attention.

It's a beautiful film to look at. Sorrentino brings his considerable style to scenes of lavish parties pulsing to a loud Eurotrash soundtrack.

Slows down somewhat in the second half as we see Berlusconi try to prove he isn't too old to make a comeback but it's a funny and sexy film and the 150 minutes flew by.

The Sisters Brothers was wonderful. A European director tackling that American of genres, the western, gave it a slightly unusual feel, kind of intimate and sad but at the same time epic and violent.

Joaquin Phoenix and John C Reilly were both excellent. The best western I've seen since the Coen's True Grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

I agree. I loved the book and thought the film was excellent. The two lead performances, especially John C. Reilly were top drawer. If you love westerns you will definitely love this one. I believe it is due to open in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hard copy

Really liked Eighth Grade, as someone in my 30's it can be hard to imagine what the immersion in social media must be doing to young teen's growing up experience, thought this successfully told it from their perspective (as much as I can tell anyway). Also impressed by the subtlety of storytelling as it generally didn't go for the easy/obvious option in the various plot setups.

Thought Bo spoke very well after, helped the interviewer out as she was struggling to get the questions out clearly, you could tell he was/is a comedian, funny riff on Enya (she's in soundtrack) at one stage!

Ash is Purest White

Another epic drama from Jia Zhangke about a gangsters moll who gets abandoned by her boyfriend after an act of violence. Features familiar Zhangke shots of desolate Chinese cities and landscapes and cheesy disco scenes. Very droll humour. I loved it.

Vox Lux

Natalie Portman stars as a damaged popstar whose career as a singer began after a terrible tragedy. Portman's performance is committed. The film is kind of nuts. Art with a capital A, but still very accessible and enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Tyrel

Tyler goes with a friend to a birthday party in a remote house in the country and realises he's the only black guy there. As the alcohol flows and the party gets chaotic, tensions mount.

This brilliant drama about race relations isn't at all preachy. It is though a wonderfully uneasy film to watch that keeps you guessing just where exactly it's heading.

The new Neil Jordan film, Greta, is one of those thrillers that he does so well. It's kind of a psychological horror about obsession and loneliness with shades of Brian De Palma.

The tension is expertly raised throughout to squirm inducing levels. One to see in a packed cinema.

Was at The White Crow and the post film Q&A. Ralph Fiennes seems like a decent enough chap.

Film itself I felt was a tad boring in parts but worth enduring as overall it's quite a good film with some excellent performances.

Didn't get a ticket to Wild Rose but may be going as friend's girlfriend doesn't fancy going out in the snow :)

Wow, that was amazing. She's some talent Jessie Buckley. What a voice.

As for the film, I liked it a lot. Small film but it should do well for what it is.

Particularly liked...
    ...that there was no Hollywoodesque ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Tyrel

Tyler goes with a friend to a birthday party in a remote house in the country and realises he's the only black guy there. As the alcohol flows and the party gets chaotic, tensions mount.

This brilliant drama about race relations isn't at all preachy. It is though a wonderfully uneasy film to watch that keeps you guessing just where exactly it's heading.

I thought this was atrocious.
    A bloke gets drunk and freaks out. The end.

Advertisement