Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Very confused with C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, etc

• 31-01-2019 11:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭

If category D is a bus, then why is there all this talk about buses towing trailers? I never see that.

And what's all this talk of category C (trucks) carrying a maximum of 8 passengers? I've never come across a truck with 8 passengers!

Take category C1E - it says it means a "combination of drawing vehicles in category C1". What i nthe name of God does that mean.

How in the name of God am I supposed to remember that you need a C1 (and not a CE) before you apply for a C1E, if I don't even know what any of them are?

Here's another thing; the statement below seems a bit misleading.

"Combination of drawing vehicles in category C1 and trailer where the MAM1 of the trailer is greater than 750 kg and where the MAM1 of the drawing vehicle and trailer combined does not exceed 12,000 kg."

Am I to picture two trailers or one? It says combination AND trailer? So is there a trailer attached to the trailer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Encouraged wrote: »
    If category D is a bus, then why is there all this talk about buses towing trailers? I never see that.

And what's all this talk of category C (trucks) carrying a maximum of 8 passengers? I've never come across a truck with 8 passengers!

Take category C1E - it says it means a "combination of drawing vehicles in category C1". What i nthe name of God does that mean.

How in the name of God am I supposed to remember that you need a C1 (and not a CE) before you apply for a C1E, if I don't even know what any of them are?

Buses tow trailers all the time. Just look at Helga in her tri axle from Germany doing the ring of Kerry.

C1E is a combination of truck and trailer up to 12 ton

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's "a maximum of 8 passengers". Many fire appliances and some vehicles used by utility companies would hold 6-8 passengers.
    I presume you don't need to remember it - you just need to work it out once.

Bands on tour often have a coach with a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Think like this.

A B C D is top, covers anything below it.

1 2 are smaller and below the top root.

E is towing. Cover this in C and you can tow in all.

IE do a test CE, you then get BE, DE etc.. provided full licence on D.

Do DE test youll get BE as its lighter than D, but towing weight of CE is higher so you'll not get a CE licence. (citation needed on that).

Basic way to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

You won't normally see Irish coach companies pulling trailers, But a lot of German and Austrian companies do, As for doing a C1E better off to do the CE license.
    More scope for work better opportunities etc.

Also. You might not see a C with capacity for 8 people. However C1 is fairly popular, service crews, fire bridge appliances, ambulances would all carry 8.

To be honest, for the effort of the C1 your better off going for C.

• Advertisement

Encouraged wrote:

Just to correct you there. You'll get a C learner, if you take a test and pass in a C1 then you'll only be allowed test for towwing a C1E.

However. If you take a C test and pass, you can then move onto CE test.

So CE is an artic.

C1E would be the likes of ESB, semi truck and towing the likes of a digger or something on the back.

DE could be Pop Star on tour mobile bus home and trailor for car or gig gear on back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

You won't normally see Irish coach companies pulling trailers, But a lot of German and Austrian companies do, As for doing a C1E better off to do the CE license.
    More scope for work better opportunities etc.

You don't see coaches hauling trailers very often at all in Ireland it is done on the continent regularly but it's rare to see a coach with a trailer in Ireland. I do see minibuses hauling trailers though fro time to time usually carrying kayaking or surfing equipment. Another you see on the continent that you don't see very often in Ireland is road trains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

Buses tow trailers all the time. Just look at Helga in her tri axle from Germany doing the ring of Kerry.
    I cannot find one single google image of a bus towing a trailer

Thank you for your reply
    TallGlass wrote: »
    1 2 are smaller and below the top root.
    This was the only part I didn't get.

As another question, regarding the difference between C and C1:

How come sometimes it says "having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3,500 kg",

and other times it says

"having a maximum authorised mass weight not exceeding 7,500 kg"

Why can't they just have it say a maximum authorised mass of between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg

Just to correct you there. You'll get a C learner, if you take a test and pass in a C1 then you'll only be allowed test for towwing a C1E.

However. If you take a C test and pass, you can then move onto CE test.

So CE is an artic.
    And apparently artics can tow trailers too?
    DE could be Pop Star on tour mobile bus home and trailer for car or gig gear on back.
    Elton John could be in one of those.

• Advertisement

So CE is an artic.
    So if CE is artic, does that mean C1E is artic too?

Everything with the E category is articulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Stop feeding the troll lads and lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thank you for your replyThis was the only part I didn't get.

As another question, regarding the difference between C and C1:

How come sometimes it says "having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3,500 kg",

and other times it says

"having a maximum authorised mass weight not exceeding 7,500 kg"

Why can't they just have it say a maximum authorised mass of between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg
    Its quite simple. One category is limited to 3500. The other is 0 to 7500 - not 3500 to 7500.

And what's all this talk of category C (trucks) carrying a maximum of 8 passengers? I've never see?
    You dont get out much?
    I see coaches with trailers regularly especially around airports. Some trucks carry several passengers - does your local fire tender arrive with a driver only? Or your refuse truck?

Stop feeding the troll lads and lassies.
    True, still valid information all the same!

Have to say, it's a weird topic to troll over :pac:

E = Trailer greater than 750kg

C = Capacity 8+driver, Total MAM exceeding 3,500kg and if you want a smaller trailer less than or equal 750kg.

CE = Trailer can now weigh more than 750kg.

C1 = Capacity 8+driver, Total MAM not exceeding 7,500kg and if you want a smaller trailer less than or equal 750kg.

C1E = Same as C1, with max 12,000kg for trailer.

C1E = Covers trailers in B, where the trailer is more than 3,500kg but no more than 12,000kg in total including car.

D = Capacity 8+, Small trailer less than or equal 750kg.

DE = Same as D with a trailer now greater than 750kg.

D1 = Limited to 16 total, limited to 8M total size, and trailer less than or equal 750kg.

D1E = Same as D1 with trailer now greater than 750kg

Its quite simple. One category (C) is limited to 3500.

For C, it says "having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3,500 kg". So that would actually seem to suggest that it is limited to 3500-7500.

D1 = Limited to 16 total, limited to 8M total size, and trailer less than or equal 750kg.

But how much do those big buses sit? It's a lot more than 16 passengers. What licence does one need for one of those?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

It's actually 16 + the driver

• Advertisement

But how much do those big buses sit? It's a lot more than 16 passengers. What licence does one need for one of those?

From 9-16 a D1 licence

From 17- whatever a bus is designed for a D licence

E is towing. Cover this in C and you can tow in all.
    But if E also means articulated, as another poster said, then does this mean that the DE bus is articulated? & therefore it would be an articulated bus that could tow a trailer?

I don't mean to sound like immature with all these questions. I was always the girl at the front of class being laughed at!

From 9-16 a D1 licence

From 17- whatever a bus is designed for a D licence
    Ah right. I see now.

That was kind of a surprise to me seeing as you need D before you can apply for a DE. I'd have thought it would've been the other way around, if driving more passengers requires more responsibility.

Here's the thing though; the statement below seems a bit misleading.

"C1E = Combination of drawing vehicles in category C1 and trailer where the MAM1 of the trailer is greater than 750 kg and where the MAM1 of the drawing vehicle and trailer combined does not exceed 12,000 kg."

Am I to picture two trailers or one? It says combination AND trailer? So is there a trailer attached to the trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

But if E also means articulated, as another poster said, then does this mean that the DE bus is articulated? & therefore it would be an articulated bus that could tow a trailer?

I don't mean to sound like immature with all these questions. I was always the girl at the front of class being laughed at!

It's not articulated, it's towing weight. When you want to use a vehicle to tow a trailer more the 750kg then you need for example a BE, or a C1E or a DE.

For example. this minibus falls into the "Vehicles in category D designed and constructed for the carriage of not more than sixteen passengers in addition to the driver with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres and where the MAM1 of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg". You need a D1 licence to drive it. You can also tow a small trailer less than 750kg with that D1. If you want to tow a heavier trailer, then you need a D1E.
    E2vC99T.jpg

To drive this regular bus you would need a D licence.
    pBlzXPQ.jpg

To a similar bus with a trailer you would need a DE licence.
    jKpfDyX.jpg

"C1E = Combination of drawing vehicles in category C1 and trailer where the MAM1 of the trailer is greater than 750 kg and where the MAM1 of the drawing vehicle and trailer combined does not exceed 12,000 kg."

It's the combination of a C1 Vehicle, (which is a Goods vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying the Driver + 8), AND a trailer greater than 750Kg
    tgWASFm.jpg
    IOUcbHQ.jpg

Articulated buses are covered are covered by a regular licence DB used to have about 20 and Dublin Coach and Aircoach have a number for carpark shuttle in the airport but I don't think any of their drivers have DE licences just a regular D.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Articulated buses are covered are covered by a regular licence DB used to have about 20 and Dublin Coach and Aircoach have a number for carpark shuttle in the airport but I don't think any of their drivers have DE licences just a regular D.
    They only require an ordinary D because the 'trailer' is not detachable.

Although Aircoach drivers on the articulated buses don't need a DE, a few of them have it anyway by default with the CE.

Read it like this:

1. a Combination of
    2. a drawing vehicle in C1
    3. and a trailer

Are the bendy buses DE?

• Advertisement

Are the bendy buses DE?

No regular D

Advertisement