Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu shot

Options
  • 03-02-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello there. I’m calling out to other mums or dads on your opinion on the flu shot on the children. So my 3 year old has started preschool last year and seems to always be down with something. The flu or the common cold and high temperatures. He was never sick until he started school. I’m all for him to build an immune system but I’m wondering if I should of got him the flu shot which I’m actually considering at this point because I can’t stand seeing him suffer. Opinions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I don't know if the flu jab will do much for colds and temperatures in kids. The actual flu is completely different to a cold which I imagine your child is actually getting. People use the work flu but they don't have more than a cold.

You could try giving a probiotic if you don't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If your little one was getting the flu then you'd know about it. The common cold is a different virus strain altogether and as such, the flu vaccine would do no good to protect against it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I asked the doctor about that last year she said no,they won't do it for kids unless there is an identified medical need....presumably a child with a medical condition of some sort.

My 4 year old is actaully in her second ECCE year and I have noticed a huge reduction this year in the doses she has had.My two year old however has had a runny nose since late Oct some time and she is with a childminder.Unfortunately it's just growing up I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OP, kids pick up these bugs from each other especially in creches and schools. Sure in work here, in an office environment, you can trace the coughs back to patient 0, by following the sound. :pac:

We always want to be able to do something for the kid, to ease what we perceive as suffering. And you're asking here about something you think is related, but may not be in the slightest. If you're ever in doubt about whether or not the kid needs something, it's the GP that really should be advising it. They have a better opportunity to do so from an informed perspective.

My son had a very persistent cough, but it turned out to be due to inflammation on the lungs. A flu shot would have done him no good.

[MOD]

Now to put the mod hat on. There's potential that this can sway very heavily into medical advice. I'd like to ask that comments are kept to how we've seen this run out before ourselves, but at no point to dissuade the OP from approaching a GP for actual medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Flu in children is very, very serious. It's not like a cold. The child wouldn't be able to get out of bed.
    I asked our GP about the flu vaccine for our older two. The answer was that while it was up to us she didn't recommend it for children. So we didn't get it.
    We did get the chicken pox vaccine, just FYI if you wanted to avoid your child getting that. We've been through countless rounds of it and they've avoided contracting it, and it offers protection against shingles when they're older.
    I think some children just have different immune systems though. Mine have had a handful of days off school, but others in their class miss a day or two nearly every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Creches and playschools are a feeding ground for germs unfortunately :( We went through the mill last year with our two - it was a nightmare. I was constantly ringing work to say I needed to work from home & seemed to be permanently at our GP or NEDOC with them. This year, our GP recommended to us to get them on a really good multivitamin & also a vitamin D supplement. Since putting them on them, I can really see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

As others have said the flu jab really wont help with colds and most viral infection. We got it as my son has asthma so a flu could be potentially dangerous. Interestingly, a nasal flu vaccine spray is offered routinely to primary schoolers in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 An tAlbanach

Flu jab and chickenpox jab all the way

They don't cover colds but it could be 2 less things you'll see them suffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are they getting vitamin D drops, or similar (jellies, fortified vit D milk?). We have been spared the heavier colds I think with keeping the vit D levels up. Plenty of fresh air and exercise. I'm a great believer in keeping those lungs clear with running around in the fresh air. :D Not when sick of course, good rest and sleep for then.

And +1 on chicken pox jabs. Delighted everytime we escape that dose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'm all for the fresh air too, when generally healthy
    All I can think of is look how they treated tuberculosis......
    And think how you feel yourself when your nose is stuffy in a hot room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement