Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

• 06-02-2019 11:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Continued from here. All Ireland Senior XV related talk here.

MOD: Bear in mind this thread is starting during the 6N window and the zero tolerance policy is in force. Trolling will be rewarded with an instant ban. For the duration of the tournament any mention of Zebo in this thread will not be permitted, it is just dragging current Ireland squad talk off topic.

Comments

Ireland Team Talk Thread X: Jesus that England game was a massive pile of s**te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

From the old thread

Can we just step back from VDF for a minute and ask what does he bring besides tackling?

Is SOB a better...

Carrier? Yes

Poacher? Yes

Link man? Yes

I must stress I do like VDF but I feel he gets over hyped on here when people see tackling stats. We need an international 7 to do more than tackle. I think its the reason why a fully fit SOB and even Leavy will start above him every time

I think it's the opposite tbh. I think because his work rate is so good in defence, it's all people associate with him. He's a very good poacher and linkman. Definitely not an explosive carrier but not many 7s are.

Comparing him to SOB isn't fair because SOB is one of the best players we've ever had in any position. He's a freak. VDF is better than Leavy and has been preferred to him almost all the way along.

I don't think VDF is hard done by btw. He's always going to lose out to SOB, that's just pro sport. I'd rather see our best players in their best positions rather than shoehorning SOB into 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

From the old thread

I think it's the opposite tbh. I think because his work rate is so good in defence, it's all people associate with him. He's a very good poacher and linkman. Definitely not an explosive carrier but not many 7s are.

Comparing him to SOB isn't fair because SOB is one of the best players we've ever had in any position. VDF is better than Leavy and has been preferred to him almost all the way along.

I don't think VDF is hard done by. He's always going to lose out to SOB, that's just pro sport.

I normally agree with pretty much everything you post....but here we have some differences

For a start against the AB's at home Leavy was selected ahead of VDF at 7, and then cried off on the Friday. But in the biggest game of the season it was a clear indication on who Joe rates higher.

I guess it's hard to judge it completely tbf as they both have had checkered injury records so there isn't a large ample size available of them being both fit.

Another point I don't agree in is that he is a good poacher. That simply isn't true, he may slow down ball, but he does not jackal like SOB and Leavy. He gets blown out of the breakdown more often than not.

Again I stress, I do appreciate what he brings to the table, and when POM is poaching and Stander carrying then we get away with it, but when they don't our backrow quickly becomes very underpowered and well.....average.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

From the old thread

Comparing him to SOB isn't fair because SOB is one of the best players we've ever had in any position. He's a freak. VDF is better than Leavy and has been preferred to him almost all the way along.

I don't think VDF is hard done by btw. He's always going to lose out to SOB, that's just pro sport. I'd rather see our best players in their best positions rather than shoehorning SOB into 8.

Also massively underestimating the importance of decision-making and presence in a test-level 7, VDF is ever-present leading the defensive line and setting incredible pace when we need linespeed. We don't need that against every opponent but when we do need it he's the best man for the job.

SOB is special, but VDF is one of the best 7s in Europe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ireland Team Talk Thread X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ireland Team Talk Thread X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi.

Could also be the title to Jaco's autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Ireland Team Talk Thread X: “It’s tall good men”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ireland Team Talk Thread X: “Dr.Strangehate: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ewan McKenna"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I still don't think we've any evidence that SOB is still the player he used to be. I can't think of any time since the Lions that he's really put in a massive performance. Obviously a lot of that is injury related but it's an age ago.

He started against Argentina in the AIs, had go off injured again, Leavy came in for him and honestly was a huge improvement. Similarly Leavy was outstanding all through the championship last season. He should be starting if fit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ireland Team Talk Thread X gonna give it to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I still don't think we've any evidence that SOB is still the player he used to be. I can't think of any time since the Lions that he's really put in a massive performance. Obviously a lot of that is injury related but it's an age ago.

I think SOB's ceiling is obviously higher than any other option at flanker in Irish rugby but, with that said, it's very much up in the air if he is able to play to that level any longer. He has started about 10 games of rugby since the Lions tour and I would guess he has departed injured in about 4 of those and he certainly never got back to the same heights that he showed us in NZ.

He's going to need some sort of run of 3 or 4 games before he's back up to speed. At 32, it simply isn't a case any longer that he can just bounce back from injury and deliver a huge performance. He has had a couple of appearances now over the past few weeks but I'd much prefer if he had been allowed play for Leinster against the Scarlets to get some extra game time in his legs.

If his body holds up, I think he'll go well enough at the weekend but I'm quite dubious as to whether we'll ever see the SOB of old again at this point. Given his injury issues over the years, I think it's even a mild surprise his career has made it to 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭roverjoyce

SOB's best position is 6 as proved on the Lions
    He should be compared against POM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

roverjoyce wrote: »
    SOB's best position is 6 as proved on the Lions
    He should be compared against POM

I totally agree...

...Except he started at 7 in all 3 test games pushing the captain who was an excellent 7 out of position ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ireland team talk thread X : It’s a long, long way to Yokohama

Buer wrote: »
    I think SOB's ceiling is obviously higher than any other option at flanker in Irish rugby but, with that said, it's very much up in the air if he is able to play to that level any longer. He has started about 10 games of rugby since the Lions tour and I would guess he has departed injured in about 4 of those and he certainly never got back to the same heights that he showed us in NZ.

He's going to need some sort of run of 3 or 4 games before he's back up to speed. At 32, it simply isn't a case any longer that he can just bounce back from injury and deliver a huge performance. He has had a couple of appearances now over the past few weeks but I'd much prefer if he had been allowed play for Leinster against the Scarlets to get some extra game time in his legs.

If his body holds up, I think he'll go well enough at the weekend but I'm quite dubious as to whether we'll ever see the SOB of old again at this point. Given his injury issues over the years, I think it's even a mild surprise his career has made it to 32.
    A bit like Warburton though, he’s has rarely failed to deliver in a big game. It’s an absolute gamble at this stage as to how long his body can hold out. I’d hope for his sake he gets the next 10 months out of it and gets to finish on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland Team Talk Thread X: Z**o

I mean zero wins of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    A bit like Warburton though, he’s has rarely failed to deliver in a big game. It’s an absolute gamble at this stage as to how long his body can hold out. I’d hope for his sake he gets the next 10 months out of it and gets to finish on a high.

It's a valid comparison. The only thing I'd say is that Warburton retired at 29. Put another couple of years on his clock (which is where SOB is now) and I'd wonder if he would be able to come back into test level matches and make the same immediate impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭jonok28

Ireland team talk thread X: Joxer goes to Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ireland Team Talk: 3 Farrells not related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Ireland team talk thread X: A bridge too Farrell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭part time punk

Ireland team Talk thread: Tainted Love

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Will find out soon enough if this is accurate: https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1093490023234711553?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

As expected... after all the bloody injuries....looks a decent side on paper and I will expect a narrow win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Eod100 wrote: »
    First thought: Henshaw should have stayed at Connacht.

Filling a gap at Leinster has undone his world cup credentials.

He's out due to to dead leg..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Eod100 wrote: »

He's out due to to dead leg..
    It wouldn't have happened if he was still at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Considering the injuries that still a really good side we've managed to put out.

Even the bench has impact with the front rowers, Dillane, Carbery and Larmour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It wouldn't have happened if he was still at Connacht.

I never knew all Connacht players are immune to injury...

Exciting to see if Farrell can replicate his performance from last year now.

• Advertisement

I would imagine he disagrees, especially with the medals in his pocket. The fact he walks back into the team every time he's fit also suggests the move hasn't done him much harm. Bizzare comment really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement