Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Gym in South Dublin?

Options
  • 07-02-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a new gym in South Dublin. I was a member in Carlisle for a long time and then Southside in Sandyford for the last two years and and while I like the layout and facilities, I've just grown a bit tired of the place. It's all too familiar, been going to the same place and seeing the same people for so long now. I've been very unmotivated for the last few months and I'm hoping that a new gym/change of scenery will renew my interest.

Preferably just a regular gym with good equipment to spend an hour a day in relative peace. I tried Raw in Sandyford for a week and while it's a great location/layout, there's just too many YouTubers and bloggers going around with cameras, I find it distracting. Tried Westwood in Leopardstown and Energie in Nutgrove, no interest in joining either of them. Flyefit Dundrum would be the closest one to me but I've heard mixed things about it. At the rate they open I'm sure there's probably one or two more opened near me in the last couple of years that I don't know about.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated as I'm a bit out of touch with what options are out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Any advice/recommendations appreciated as I'm a bit out of touch with what options are out there.

Dunno about you being out of touch as you have a lot of gyms sussed out. You have a fair amount of research done.

A few you haven't mentioned are BHAF, Ben Dunnes and Gourmet Fuel. GF is small and might be a private training facility so probably not what you're looking for. Ben Dunnes is not recommended unless you can train during off peak hours. BHAF is a stone's throw from Southside and although I've never been there, I've heard it's a great place.

Tbh, sandyford is the best part of Dublin for choice of gyms. If you can't find something suitable, you're kinda screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There's a flyefit in stillorgan now too but like Mark says, Sandyford is a gym paradise so if you can't find somewhere there... :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Thanks for the replies, didn't know about BHAF so I'll check them out. Was speaking to someone that works in Raw who said to give it a second chance. Think it was nearly two years ago when I was there before so I might give it another try during the week. Anyone know what it's like in there at evening peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks for the replies, didn't know about BHAF so I'll check them out. Was speaking to someone that works in Raw who said to give it a second chance. Think it was nearly two years ago when I was there before so I might give it another try during the week. Anyone know what it's like in there at evening peak times?

It'll still be full of lads with cameras recording sessions for their 11 subscribers on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I'm a member of Raw. It's a great gym but I don't like it at peak time, there are classes on that take over a lot of the floor space. I would say if you can go in the morning or get there around 4.30 in the afternoon it's grand. Just ignore the YouTubers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

you also now have flyfit in sallynoggin

Transform wrote: »
    you also now have flyfit in sallynoggin

This was news to me so I actually had a look on their website as the Sallynoggin one is close to where I work. My main problem with the gym is that I usually get bored of going to the same gym day in and day out. With the FlyeFit roaming option I'd have the option of different gyms all over the city.

Has anyone here got experience with FlyeFit, would they recommend joining?

My main problem with the gym is that I usually get bored of going to the same gym day in and day out.

Just a thought but maybe it's a case of getting bored of what you're doing in the gym rather than the gym itself.

I found myself less engaged in what I was doing in the gym when there was no real plan from day to day, week to week...and by that I mean there wasn't a programme per se, nothing that had anything more than loose objectives.

Just a thought.

Just a thought but maybe it's a case of getting bored of what you're doing in the gym rather than the gym itself.

I found myself less engaged in what I was doing in the gym when there was no real plan from day to day, week to week...and by that I mean there wasn't a programme per se, nothing that had anything more than loose objectives.

Just a thought.

I don't think it's an issue, I follow a LPP routine and mix it up occasionally when I discover a new exercise or want to try something different. I enjoy it and see good results when I get stuck in and stay consistent. I think my problem is that I tend to get bored of the same environment and seeing the same people every day.

What appeals to me about FlyeFit is that I have two near my place of work which I could use during the week, one near where I live which I could use sometimes during the week and on weekends and then the option to go into the city centre the odd Sunday or bank holiday and use the few that they have in there. This is just what struck me when I went on the website and saw the number of locations (which has grown rapidly since I last looked nearly 2 years ago). I've never even been in a FlyeFit however, so would be interested in hearing from anyone who's had experience as a member.

I don't think it's an issue, I follow a LPP routine and mix it up occasionally when I discover a new exercise or want to try something different. I enjoy it and see good results when I get stuck in and stay consistent. I think my problem is that I tend to get bored of the same environment and seeing the same people every day.

What appeals to me about FlyeFit is that I have two near my place of work which I could use during the week, one near where I live which I could use sometimes during the week and on weekends and then the option to go into the city centre the odd Sunday or bank holiday and use the few that they have in there. This is just what struck me when I went on the website and saw the number of locations (which has grown rapidly since I last looked nearly 2 years ago). I've never even been in a FlyeFit however, so would be interested in hearing from anyone who's had experience as a member.

For the money I find flyefit fantastic tbh. But I imagine it's not up to the standard of Southside strength or Raw. I have to say I'm the complete opposite to you in that I hate using different gyms as I find it takes ages to get used to the layout, flow, equipment set up etc. When I changed to flyefit recently it took me a good month before it felt "comfy". I also find using hotel gyms or whatever annoying for that reason to, but I'm very routine-oriented!

• Advertisement

For the money I find flyefit fantastic tbh. But I imagine it's not up to the standard of Southside strength or Raw. I have to say I'm the complete opposite to you in that I hate using different gyms as I find it takes ages to get used to the layout, flow, equipment set up etc. When I changed to flyefit recently it took me a good month before it felt "comfy". I also find using hotel gyms or whatever annoying for that reason to, but I'm very routine-oriented!

Like going to a different supermarket it takes am hour to do a ten-minute shop because you realise your in some sort of a retail labyrinth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I like flyefit , I tried out their one in Dundrum for the first time as I’d to drop junior near the area. Sunday afternoon , there was less than 20 people in the whole place, very chill , made doing half an hour in Dundrum centre tolerable. Mostly I drop in on my way home from work to the Macken street one as Im already warmed up from the bike , so no need to change or warm up, can be in an out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

There's an anytime fitness near IADT which when I was a member was generally quiet. And 24 hour access was very handy as I had young kids and my options generally were very limited.

I've done a lot of gyms around the area too and ended up happy with a personal training gym rather than one you come in on your own with. If this is an options for you you could try them here? But am expecting this to be unlikely considering what you've posted already

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any feedback on Ben Dunne Sandyford? The price seems a bit too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any feedback on Ben Dunne Sandyford? The price seems a bit too good to be true.

It smells absolutely rotten!

n1ck wrote: »
    It smells absolutely rotten!

Where else is there nearby that doesn’t smell so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Probably Flyefit in Stillorgan or RAW would be my choices.

n1ck wrote: »
    Probably Flyefit in Stillorgan or RAW would be my choices.

Flyefit Stillorgan is a bit far away for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Sandyford has loads of gyms. Southside, RAW, BHAF, Crossfit.

Southside/BHAF/Crossfit are all within metres of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭localscientist

Recently moved from Ben Dunne in Sandyford to Flyefit (roaming but mostly Stillorgan). Ben Dunne is a very decent gym, but it does get quite busy at peak times. Totally dead at weekends and classes are in the studio so not taking up space. Was a member there for 2 years and IMHO, was very much worth the money. Only thing I will say is the weights section downstairs is very "male", lots of grunting and throwing weights around so it might be daunting for a more hesitant gym goer.

Moved to Flyefit as more convenient in Stillorgan and liked the idea of the roaming. Classes in Flyefit are great (esp the likes of spinning). It's never insanely busy, maybe once every 2 weeks it'll be unusually busy. Quiet during the summer as all the students from surrounding schools tend to come during the day so it's pleasant.

Both great gyms and wouldn't hesitate to recommend both. Went to RAW once and never ever again. I'm female and it was just... not a nice experience whatsoever.

• Advertisement

The location of Flyefit Stillorgan doesn’t really work for me but Inwas looking at the Dundrum one. I imagine they are all similar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

The location of Flyefit Stillorgan doesn’t really work for me but Inwas looking at the Dundrum one. I imagine they are all similar

I found the Stillorgan site to be much nicer than Dundrum.

Depends on a few things. Size being a big one.

Free weights area in Baggot St is relatively small and around where the racks of dumbbells are is as crowded as a train in India. Not pleasant.

Portobello is bigger and more spacious and also has more.

They're both cut from the same cloth but Portobello is a better place to train...just as an example of two Flyefits that are similar but where they are also quite different

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the one in Dundrum is a converted house affair while the one in stillorgan is your standard box shape. i'd imagine Dundrum tends to be quieter off peak anyways because parking is limited in the area. i was there once on a sunday and there were less than 10 people in the whole place.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Can I ask, what is Ben Dunne Sandyford/Beacon like between 6am and 7am in the morning? Particularly the weights section...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭localscientist

Can I ask, what is Ben Dunne Sandyford/Beacon like between 6am and 7am in the morning? Particularly the weights section...

dead

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what sort of prices personal trainers tend to charge in Flyefit for stuff like one session to do a workout plan?

Trying to decide whether I'd be better off joining a traditional gym with programmes included, or paying for a session say once every couple of months. Not hugely interested in meal plans or constant one to one sessions, just need someone to come up with a routine or two and make sure I won't hurt myself doing it!

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what sort of prices personal trainers tend to charge in Flyefit for stuff like one session to do a workout plan?

Trying to decide whether I'd be better off joining a traditional gym with programmes included, or paying for a session say once every couple of months. Not hugely interested in meal plans or constant one to one sessions, just need someone to come up with a routine or two and make sure I won't hurt myself doing it!

I think it’s about €30 an hour but they do bundles for a bit less

I think it’s about €30 an hour but they do bundles for a bit less

Is it really that low? I guess that explains why every second person there seems to be with a PT some days. You would have to wonder about the quality/individualisation at that price imo, but I imagine it can vary dramatically and there are some good PTs amongst them.

• Advertisement

Is it really that low? I guess that explains why every second person there seems to be with a PT some days. You would have to wonder about the quality/individualisation at that price imo, but I imagine it can vary dramatically and there are some good PTs amongst them.

I would be delighted if I was earning €30 an hour.

Advertisement