Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my light fitting have a switched neutral for a smart light switch

• 11-02-2019 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi
    As the title says does my light switch contain a neutral feel so I can use a wifi light switch with IFTTT
    The connection with the 2 wires go to a connection on the switch thay says Com

I bought a wireless dimmer switch from amazon I can the switch to come alive but it does not switch the lights on or dim them. I've since switched it back to the original
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FMTYF34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Whats in the backbox ? switches dont carry neutral as they only "switch" the live.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

Nope, No neutral in that pic (to the best of my unqualified but somewhat experienced opinion).

Are there any blue cables hiding in the back of the switch box?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No. Just get a smart bulb or a so off relay and terminate it at the light fitting and throw it into ceiling void

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Lightwave RF smart switches dont need one. Im sure the GETDEN ones dont either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Note:
    1.The switch originally needed a neutral line to install and use,but for some old houses, a third party may be needed.That is need Neutral wire, Line and Load are required.

You 100% need a neutral in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Had a look in the back back nothing in there. Its a pretty heavy light chandelier so wont be disconnecting that to have a look
    The lightwaverf gen 2 stuff looks like it would work but its super expensive
    Energenie as well but reviews on amazon are so so
    Getden is expensive and aesthetically lacking.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoswit-Smart-Dimmer-Switch-Wireless/dp/B07FSCX25G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549831495&sr=8-3&keywords=yoswit%2Bsmart%2Bdimmer%2Bswitch&th=1
    This as well but not smart capable yet although they say it will be.
    Back to the drawing board I think.

Any one give a recommendation on any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Had a look in the back back nothing in there. Its a pretty heavy light chandelier so wont be disconnecting that to have a look
    The lightwaverf gen 2 stuff looks like it would work but its super expensive
    Energenie as well but reviews on amazon are so so
    Getden is expensive and aesthetically lacking.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoswit-Smart-Dimmer-Switch-Wireless/dp/B07FSCX25G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549831495&sr=8-3&keywords=yoswit%2Bsmart%2Bdimmer%2Bswitch&th=1
    This as well but not smart capable yet although they say it will be.
    Back to the drawing board I think.

Any one give a recommendation on any of the above

What functionality do you want ? What type lamps/bulbs does it take ?

Its a chandler with 8 Philips led bulbs that are dimmable. They are expensive and good quality bulbs so dont really want to change them.
    When I moved in 6 months ago I thought I would just put a dimmer on them and be done.
    But I since got a couple of google home hubs. Logitech Elite harmony.
    So I guess I've caught the bug.
    Ideally Id like to be able to dim them using my voice and also set a scene as it hey google watch a movie and tv comes on goes to netflix and lights dim. First world problems ehh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could look into Fibaro Z-Wave dimmer modules along with SmartThings or similar hub.

I think some of the Fibaro modules don't require Neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I’d say the majority of builds before 2000 won’t have a neutral at the light switch, even after 2000 it’s still rare enough, until recent years there has been no need for one at a light switch, although I find it easier to wire a house that way!

• Advertisement

I have a mini low powered pc N3450 Cpu I use for a couple of things.
    Could I use a Z-wave USB stick with this and connect a fibaro dimmer to it. Now that looks intresting

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I have a mini low powered pc N3450 Cpu I use for a couple of things.
    Could I use a Z-wave USB stick with this and connect a fibaro dimmer to it. Now that looks intresting

Yes, most likely, check out Home Assistant, you'd need to run it or something like it on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I recommend Broadlink smart switches with their hub. No need for neutral. Works like a charm :)

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I recommend Broadlink smart switches with their hub. No need for neutral. Works like a charm :)

Can you link me to the dimmer switches

I don't think they have dimmer switches. It's just on/off. I picked mine up at Aliexpress, I think there is an official broadlink store there.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Nedved85 wrote: »

With the broadlink do you have any 2 way switches? Does it work?

When you use the app does it show if the light is on Vs off ?

durtybit wrote: »
    With the broadlink do you have any 2 way switches? Does it work?

When you use the app does it show if the light is on Vs off ?

Hi,

The answer to both of those is no unfortunately.

I have only one two way switch in my house (upstairs hall lights - three different switches to turn them on/off) so installed a Philips Hue bulb and a motion sensor to turn the light on after dark. I also put in three Philips hue dimmer switches over the standard wall switch with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samotech®-SM200-Switch-Philips-Dimmer/dp/B07D5KJ4B6/ref=pd_bxgy_201_2/259-3979732-1731725?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07D5KJ4B6&pd_rd_r=65f11273-3426-11e9-b94c-8f8ae5ab0f8e&pd_rd_w=AAaXJ&pd_rd_wg=8tTwR&pf_rd_p=a0365e62-3353-40ad-91cf-d4ca762b18a7&pf_rd_r=66D7XGQ50BB4JB0HGZP2&psc=1&refRID=66D7XGQ50BB4JB0HGZP2

It's not ideal but it let me automate the hall light and that wall plate looks pretty good.

The app just lets you turn the lights on/off.

Can do the same via Google home.

Also I installed a broadlink alarm system. I have a few motion sensors that turn on some of the the lights after dark, including the front/rear lights outside.

It's a cheap system, but does require some effort to set up :)

Advertisement