Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non family babysitter

Options
  • 12-02-2019 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. Our son is 18mths old now and our first child and we had hoped this year to maybe get out a bit more as we havent managed much of a social life since he was born and have generally relied on family babysitters for the very odd occasion we've gone out. however this year we were hoping to get out to the cinema, maybe a dinner etc. the odd time. A local girl who lives two doors up has agreed to babysit for us, think shes around 18/19 seems fairly responsible and her parents are nice. what is the etiquette for the first time using a new babysitter? I had thought maybe to invite her over for an hour or two and see how she got on with my son and we'd just go for a walk. Obviously I'd pay her for this. Then maybe build it up to a whole evening over time....what does anyone think about this....does it sound excessive or whats the norm in these situations??

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

No I'd be inclined to leave her alone the first time for maybe 1-2 hours. Go somewhere nearby and text/ring to check in after maybe an hour. After all her parents are very close by too. You could even have the child in bed before you go the first time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

yeah we thought after the first introductory 1-2hrs where we might just go for a walk nearby, then after that the first evening we'll have him in bed and she'll literally just have to sit and watch tv and then build it up to a time where he's awake and we might go to a matinee film or something like that so were still nearby if anything happened.

Just wanted to check I didnt sound completely unreasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The first time we got a non family babysitter we had our child in bed before we left. Turned out to be a mistake. When they woke they were confronted with a stranger instead of a parent. If i had to do it again id definitely have them awake for a n hour or two around the babysitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

These casual babysitting arrangements are all fine when everything is fine. What I'd like to know is what happens when everything is not fine?
    Lets say the child falls, or gets scalded or some other unfortunate accident. Who is liable then? The 18 year old babysitter? Depending on the injury, they and their parents could be faced with a major compensation claim. Look at the many many threads on here recently of how there are huge awards for the most bizarre and trivial of incidents. Really they should be insured to cover this risk, but who is going to go to these rounds and who is going to insure an 18 year old with no childcare training to look after infants on a casual hour here hour there basis.
    It's just the way the country is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The first time we got a non family babysitter we had our child in bed before we left. Turned out to be a mistake. When they woke they were confronted with a stranger instead of a parent. If i had to do it again id definitely have them awake for a n hour or two around the babysitter.

Just to echo this - I remember babysitting for my niece who knew me very well one night. Her parents put her down to sleep before I came. She woke up at one point and ended up screaming for a couple of hours (least that's what it felt like) because while she knew me, Mammy and Daddy were there when she went to sleep but were gone when she woke it. Poor little thing was so upset by it all. After that we got into the habit of me turning up 30 mins before bed if I was babysitting. She was much happier then.

I think the suggestion of having the girl look after your little one for an hour or two while you go do the shopping or to a local cafe first is a good idea as you can get back quicker if there is a problem and gives them a chance to get to know each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement