Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today 5 years ago

• 12-02-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭

Storm Darwin

Living on the Dingle peninsula, this was the worst storm I ever encountered.

https://carlowweather.com/blog/the-great-storm-of-february-12th-2014/

According to people working in Dingle harbor there was a 188 km/h gust recorded. Boats stored on shore where dotted around like domino bricks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

weisses wrote: »
    Storm Darwin

Living on the Dingle peninsula, this was the worst storm I ever encountered.

https://carlowweather.com/blog/the-great-storm-of-february-12th-2014/

According to people working in Dingle harbor there was a 188 km/h gust recorded. Boats stored on shore where dotted around like domino bricks.

I missed out on the dramatic side of it as I had to travel to Dublin and was there for the morning. Got on a double decker green bus back from Dublin city centre down the M7 about 13:00 but got off at the red cow rather than continue down to Limerick as I read about how intense it was. Really didn't fancy going down the M7 in the worst storm in recent times in a double decker bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I agree .. a pretty ferocious storm and meant we were without power for 3 days (Mid Kerry area)

I remember looking out of the living room window and watching debris and parts of roofs being flung all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A picture popped up on my Facebook memories that I took of a massive tree that had fallen next door to where I work -can’t believe that was 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

I stood behind a large stone shed trying to safe my poly tunnel (which survived)

I then looked to the left and 200 meters away a big steel cow stable got its roof taken off by a massive gust .. It blew from the yard over the road into a field where it landed against some pine trees about 400 meters from the property... It felt I was part of a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It is the 5th anniversary of Storm Darwin. At the height of the storm around lunch time Shannon Airport had sustained winds of around 64 kts around 100 kmh and gusts up to 100mph 86kts or almost 160kmh. A roof was filmed being blown off a boat club building in the middle of Limerick City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was in Kilkenny and it was one of the worst storms I can remember. It peaked about 3-4 pm I think, the local emergency plan was implemented to keep hospital road access open

sumtings wrote: »
    I missed out on the dramatic side of it as I had to travel to Dublin and was there for the morning. Got on a double decker green bus back from Dublin city centre down the M7 about 13:00 but got off at the red cow rather than continue down to Limerick as I read about how intense it was. Really didn't fancy going down the M7 in the worst storm in recent times in a double decker bus.

Did the bus continue on despite the storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I was at home in Limerick for Storm Darwin, indoors, and it was the only time I actually felt afraid in a weather event, for about 45 mins. at the storm's height. The sound of the wind was unlike anything I've heard, much worse than ex hurricane Ophelia. It was a very sobering experience.

Comhra wrote: »
    I was at home in Limerick for Storm Darwin, indoors, and it was the only time I actually felt afraid in a weather event, for about 45 mins. at the storm's height. The sound of the wind was unlike anything I've heard, much worse than ex hurricane Ophelia. It was a very sobering experience.

I thought Darwin was way worse than Ophelia- here in the south east in any case, it was a miracle lives weren’t lost as it coincided with school times.

Storm Darwin in the south east;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/major-emergency-for-kilkenny-stood-down-as-roads-reopen-1.1689107

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

In my mind we had several month of wind starting on 26 Dec 13 and continuing on beyond storm Darwin . Had damage done to a shed on St Stephens day and more damage done about a week after Darwin. Was supposed to take a bullock into the factory on the 12 Feb but had no intention of venturing out in that wind. Spent the following day clearing trees off the lane so I could get out. Was another day before I got to the factory.
    I remember double doors facing west on the morning of the storm bulging in under full force of the wind. Gusts sounded like a train approaching. A few neighbours lost roofs off of sheds. Remember one that was only built with 12 months. It just took off like a sheet of newspaper around 11.30 and ended up in a ball of sh1te. Nothing worth salvaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In my mind we had several month of wind starting on 26 Dec 13 and continuing on beyond storm Darwin .

Technically 13 Dec 2013 :)

Although there was a North Sea tidal surge on the 5th Dec 2013 which also produced an amber warranted gust at Malin Head with 130 km/h. Besides, this the first two weeks of December 2013 were generally benign.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

road_high wrote: »
    Did the bus continue on despite the storm?
    Yes, the driver thought I was mad, that said the motorway would have been ok at that stage and the drivers would have been talking to each other, no reason to think anything wierd was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I was at work in Apple in Cork, out office is a large building perched on the top of a hill (130m asl) facing SSW and completely exposed. It was a memorable event!

Advertisement