Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating smart controls, Tado?

• 12-02-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm very lucky to just bought a house in Dublin 11. Its approx 30 years old house. I currently have my boiler changed and I'm thinking about how to control my heating.
    The house isn't plumped for zones therefore instead of running additional pipes around I thought I might get the TADO system. I'm wondering if there are any forum users who would be able to advise and help. I have a few concerns/questions.

I have 10 radiators over 3 levels (1 in the converted attic). Would WiFi system works or do I need some sort of signal repeater?

Some radiators are without TRVs, do I need to buy TRV and install TADO on top of them or is TRV valve as part of tado thermostat?

Apart from the radiator thermostat what other units of TADO system are required?

Would installing TADO system somehow qualify for SEAI grant for smart controls?

Are there any other alternatives worth considering?

Thanks,

Bart

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

borus22222 wrote: »
    I have 10 radiators over 3 levels (1 in the converted attic). Would WiFi system works or do I need some sort of signal repeater?

The Tado TRV's connect to the Tado bridge using 868MHz mesh network, they don't use wifi.

868MHz is a much lower frequency then wifi (2.4GHz and greater) so it travels much further further and penetrates walls better. Also it is a Mesh network, so each TRV acts as a repeater.

So I wouldn't expect any issues with signal, it should just work.
    Some radiators are without TRVs, do I need to buy TRV and install TADO on top of them or is TRV valve as part of tado thermostat?

Each rad needs to have a compatible fitting for a TRV. Older rads may not have that and would need to be replaced. If the rads are already designed to take a TRV, then no, you don't need to buy one separately, it comes with Tado.
    Apart from the radiator thermostat what other units of TADO system are required?

Depends on your setup, but you most likely also need the Tado internet bridge and a Tado Thermostat unit (to control the boiler).

Do you have hot water from the gas boiler? Then you may also want the Tado extension kit which is compatible with hot water boilers heated by gas.
    Would installing TADO system somehow qualify for SEAI grant for smart controls?

I think it is possible, if you can finder a plumber registered for the SEAI grant and who does TADO.

I've no experience, but these folks seem to do TADO, maybe worth enquiring:
    https://www.leinstergas.ie/services/smart-controlers-energy-saving-tips
    Are there any other alternatives worth considering?

Honeywell Evohome. Support smart TRV's too and definitely covered by the grants:

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/honeywell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Drayton Wiser can do the same as Tado for a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

I have the Tado and I think it is great, like you I had no zones in my house so I went with this system.
    I had no TRV's on any of my radiators so I had to fit these first but unless your house is very old it should have TRV's already fitted.
    Depending on your brand of TRV you may end up using the plastic adaptors that coming with the Tado TRV which are not great quality, I ended up buying brass adaptors on amazon for about 2 euro each.
    I only have smart TRV's in 2 bedrooms as they are a little expensive.

The connectivity of the system is very good and the batteries in my TRV's are still showing 100% after the winter.

I got the extension kit to replace my old boiler controller, I just sent Tado a photo of the wiring of the old controller and they sent me back instructions on how to wire the new controller, you can always get an electrician to do this if your not comfortable doing it.

AFAIK anyone using the newest version of their app has to pay a subscription which I think is a little unfair, the old app has no subscription.

Overall I am very happy with the system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

denismc wrote: »
    I have the Tado and I think it is great, like you I had no zones in my house so I went with this system.
    I had no TRV's on any of my radiators so I had to fit these first but unless your house is very old it should have TRV's already fitted.
    Depending on your brand of TRV you may end up using the plastic adaptors that coming with the Tado TRV which are not great quality, I ended up buying brass adaptors on amazon for about 2 euro each.
    I only have smart TRV's in 2 bedrooms as they are a little expensive.

The connectivity of the system is very good and the batteries in my TRV's are still showing 100% after the winter.

I got the extension kit to replace my old boiler controller, I just sent Tado a photo of the wiring of the old controller and they sent me back instructions on how to wire the new controller, you can always get an electrician to do this if your not comfortable doing it.

AFAIK anyone using the newest version of their app has to pay a subscription which I think is a little unfair, the old app has no subscription.

Overall I am very happy with the system

Did you fit the TRVs yourself or get someone in? Interested in the cost of the latter if you could shed any light.

I had to fit new TRVs myself to the radiators as there were none in place, this involves draining the heating system and the rads and a bit of plumbing.
    If you already have existing TRVs then you just pop off the heads and replace them with the Tado ones using the adaptor if needed, this is very straightforward.
    I hope that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

denismc wrote: »
    I had to fit new TRVs myself to the radiators as there were none in place, this involves draining the heating system and the rads and a bit of plumbing.
    If you already have existing TRVs then you just pop off the heads and replace them with the Tado ones using the adaptor if needed, this is very straightforward.
    I hope that makes sense

I don't have TRVs and would have to get them fitted, that's why I was wondering if you had a plumber in to do it and how much it would have cost. I wouldn't be too confident doing anything more complicated than bleeding the rads myself.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't have TRVs and would have to get them fitted, that's why I was wondering if you had a plumber in to do it and how much it would have cost. I wouldn't be too confident doing anything more complicated than bleeding the rads myself.

Yes, probably best to get a plumber, l have no idea how much it would cost, especially when you have many rads.
    it took me about 3 hours to do 6 rads, a plumber should be much faster.

Advertisement