Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PP butchering lucky 15s

• 15-02-2019 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

No more treble odds for one winner. Double odds now. No doubt boyles will follow suit now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

No more treble odds for one winner. Double odds now. No doubt boyles will follow suit now

Bonuses gone too I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Bet365 still treble odds. By far the best online betting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bonuses gone too I heard

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Bet365 still treble odds. By far the best online betting company.

I never get treble off them . Is it only specific races:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I only back multiples online, they won't give you guaranteed odds on multiples in the shops. I also don't bother with the ew double of the bet. Basically my yankees are 1 x ew 4fold accum + 4 x trebles ew + 4 doubles, win only. It works out a lot cheaper. you get **** all from an ew double anyways. I might make an exception if one of my fancies is an exotic price like 25 - 1 , these can add up.

The lucky 15 was always a rip off IMO. The concept of the treble odds on one winner is bollox tbh. An even money winner at treble odds is only 3-1 etc. Hardly worth your while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I only back multiples online, they won't give you guaranteed odds on multiples in the shops. I also don't bother with the ew double of the bet. Basically my yankees are 1 x ew 4fold accum + 4 x trebles ew + 4 doubles, win only. It works out a lot cheaper. you get **** all from an ew double anyways. I might make an exception if one of my fancies is an exotic price like 25 - 1 , these can add up.

The lucky 15 was always a rip off IMO. The concept of the treble odds on one winner is bollox tbh. An even money winner at treble odds is only 3-1 etc. Hardly worth your while.

The funny part is when you see lads putting even money shots into a lucky 15. You might as well do a yankee and save yourself the 4 bets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Kauto wrote: »
    The funny part is when you see lads putting even money shots into a lucky 15. You might as well do a yankee and save yourself the 4 bets.

I massively agree. It also highlights the edge the bookie has over your yankee in the first place. You are looking for 4 horses at reasonable prices rather than 4 sitters at tighter odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Is this in shop or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I never get treble off them . Is it only specific races:confused:

I usually get treble odds on every race. Must check it actually again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JagoMoon

They've slowly been getting rid of every bit of value for the past few years. 1/5 place terms on golf and same for antepost betting now this. But sure aren't their ads gas!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

As of Monday the same applies to Boylesports.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Staff seem to have been briefed to tell customers that it's because of the increased tax. Powers and the others have gradually been scaling back on value that had been taken for granted for years - the extra places are usually given in handicaps of 12+ runners, where the place odds are 1/5th instead of 1/4th, a cut of 25% on the place payout. This started well before the tax increase. The interests of the shareholders trump everything else.

What’s the point going into the shops anymore, treble odds and bonus scheme Are the main reason for going into the shop where I would also do a placepot but you can do them online with certain bookmakers anyway.
    They will bring them back eventually when they see less business going through there shops which will certainly happen.
    Had 1 winner in Dundalk lucky 15 tonight, I’m disgusted only getting double odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What’s the point going into the shops anymore, treble odds and bonus scheme Are the main reason for going into the shop where I would also do a placepot but you can do them online with certain bookmakers anyway.
    They will bring them back eventually when they see less business going through there shops which will certainly happen.
    Had 1 winner in Dundalk lucky 15 tonight, I’m disgusted only getting double odds.
    Only reason I started going back into the shop was because I got restricted online.
    While it works out the same, there is definitely an added feel good factor being paid out in hard cash! And you feel the bad days more, which is a good thing.
    The money back as a freebet PP offer can be good. EG this week at one meeting per day, there was money back up to 20 if you came 2,3,4 to the SP fav.
    Ladbrokes and Boyle’s also do similar, at least 2nd to SP fav. I never got these when I had online accounts with them. Although there are other online offers of course.

Do the Justice refunds that PP give occasionally apply online? I’ve got them a few times in shop, but don’t recall getting them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

Can anyone link to a post on here that had 4 winners in a Lucky 15, ever?

Or if you can't find a link does anyone recall one?

Seems like a mug's bet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Would rarely have done a lucky 15 in the past but will almost certainly never do one again now.

Thanks Paddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Blud wrote: »
    Can anyone link to a post on here that had 4 winners in a Lucky 15, ever?

Or if you can't find a link does anyone recall one?

Seems like a mug's bet to me.

I've had 3 lots of times....never the 4 :(

Would rarely have done a lucky 15 in the past but will almost certainly never do one again now.

Thanks Paddy!

Never got a lucky 15 up on its own, got 4 out of a lucky 63, but I did get a lucky 31 up about a year and a half ago, wasn’t with Powers tho unfortunately.
    Going to different bookmaker this morning for treble odds and bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Had 4 winners in a 33c ew lucky 15 once about 4 years back. 9.90 stake retd about 750 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I had the first 6 up out of 7 in a Super Heinz decades ago (win only).
    They were all short prices. The 7th was at Thirsk. I got about 300 pounds (?)

My guess is it was Irish 2000 Guineas day, 16th May 1992.
    (?) Firing Line 7/4; Tahdeed 4/6; Rodrigo De Triano 8/11; Opera House 5/2; Khizarabad 11/8.

I had called into my parents house (they were in Spain) to watch on their big television.
    The brother arrived from Mayo and was wondering why I had a big red excited face on me (waiting for the 7th race).

The only multiple bet I do now is a four horse win accumulator on the first four English classics (do it a day before the Guineas weekend).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Had the 4 up 5 times I think. All only small money bets 1 Euro lucky 15 usually.
    The most memorable one was when I was waiting on Salsify in the Fox hunters and poor Jane Mangan and Oscar delta had it all wrapped up and the horse threw it away trying to take the wrong course.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Think pp shops are doing a free bet now when you do a lucky 15, I never realised they where cutting treble the odds but I presume this why they giving out the free bet now to try keep people doing them.

But like the majority of pp shops the staff don’t tell you, you have to go asking for it even though it’s plastered over the screens in shops.

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    Think pp shops are doing a free bet now when you do a lucky 15, I never realised they where cutting treble the odds but I presume this why they giving out the free bet now to try keep people doing them.

But like the majority of pp shops the staff don’t tell you, you have to go asking for it even though it’s plastered over the screens in shops.

Is this with every lucky 15
    They have to do something as I went do a different bookmarker in the town,that are still doing treble odds.
    Can only see them losing more money in the long run as people will go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Lucky 15 with treble odds was far from a mugs bet IMO, particularly if you're going EW with decent place terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Is this with every lucky 15
    They have to do something as I went do a different bookmarker in the town,that are still doing treble odds.
    Can only see them losing more money in the long run as people will go elsewhere.

I’m not sure how it works mate I just saw it up on the screen then I overheard a lad at the counter saying he never got a free bet when he done his lucky 15. I wouldnt do a lucky 15 myself in a powers shop, mainly because their early prices are disgraceful and you don’t get BOG on multiples.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Got the 4 winners only once in my life.

They’re giving free bets yeah. Lucky bets that cost a tenner or more and you get a free €10 bet. Less than a tenner and it’s a fiver free bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I had the first 6 up out of 7 in a Super Heinz decades ago (win only).
    They were all short prices. The 7th was at Thirsk. I got about 300 pounds (?)
    Probably Rahon 13/8 fav in the Thirsk 5f Fillies Maiden Stakes at 17:00.
    "Close up, led over 2f out until well over 1f out, soon beaten".
    Luckily that race was not televised. I found out on teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Boylesports to announce they are to follow suit tomorrow. Cowardly bastards the lot of them. This is what happens when the small independents get snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Boylesports to announce they are to follow suit tomorrow. Cowardly bastards the lot of them. This is what happens when the small independents get snapped up.

Sheepdogs

• Advertisement

Surely the smaller shops are missing a trick here, keep the treble odds and bonuses on lucky bets and you will get more business, I have already stopped using paddy’s in my town, unfortunately the only other bookmaker in the town is following suit next week.
    Must be a joint protest amongst bookmakers because it’s an opportunity for bookmakers to win some business

Advertisement