Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Peaks Challenge

• 17-02-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Thinking of doing the four peaks challenge in June. Does anyone have any suggestions around a training plan to prepare for this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how is it being organiased, are they different weekends or all over a weekend?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BarnaP

Over 3 days I believe

I prepared once for a 10 day ~8 hr a day trek, basically made sure I got out for a day's hike every other weekend, otherwise kept 10k jogging fit with hills included, closer to it do a couple of weekends away where you can get 2 days in and you should be grand. Have a well broken in pair of walking boots , do you live near a range of mountains? will this be a "couch to 4 peaks" or are you decently fit now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    how is it being organiased, are they different weekends or all over a weekend?

Carrauntoohill on Friday, Mweelrea on Saturday and both Slieve Donard and Lugnaquilla on Sunday.

Carrauntoohill on Friday, Mweelrea on Saturday and both Slieve Donard and Lugnaquilla on Sunday.

You would certainly feel Lug on Sunday, though it’s a straight forward one at the same time, hopefully they get the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BarnaP

Not quite "couch to 4 peaks" but hill walking is new. Most of my walking is on fairly level ground but would be fairly consistent. Thanks for the tip of the 10K jogging fit with hills. Definitely bear that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Obviously it goes without saying but I will anyway, The best training for hill walking is getting out hillwalking at the weekends.
    For training during the week you could do incline walking on a treadmill (not holding on to it) and/or use a stairmaster.
    Its the consecutive days that will get you. Try and get out for Saturday and Sunday hikes a couple of times before you do it and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I'm currently training for a similar one day event, I agree with the above, the best training for hill walking is getting out hillwalking but I'm also including weights sessions in the gym for my legs mid-week. Getting jelly legs on a steep decent because your quads are knackered doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Advertisement