Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toddler always sick!

Options
  • 18-02-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all. I started my toddler (was 2 in November) in creche in September for around 3 days a week. I know people say it’s common for them to be sick a lot when starting creche and that their immune system is just building but every weeks it’s something new and as a result Iv been missing so much college. 2 respiratory infections since Christmas now he has vomiting and Diarrhea.

How long did it take for your little ones immune system to build/ where they sick this much?

I don’t know if I should take him out of the creche he’s in and find a new one or will they all be the same, I’m at my wits end :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Our toddler started in September on 3 days a week too and we felt like giving up a few times because he was constantly sick. It's only since Xmas we have noticed that he isn't sick at all anymore even when everyone else in the house has sniffles or coughs. It is worth it in the long run so definitely stick with it. Think of it like every time they get sick is one closer to them not being sick anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MyAnatomy

Our toddler started in September on 3 days a week too and we felt like giving up a few times because he was constantly sick. It's only since Xmas we have noticed that he isn't sick at all anymore even when everyone else in the house has sniffles or coughs. It is worth it in the long run so definitely stick with it. Think of it like every time they get sick is one closer to them not being sick anymore

Thanks for your reply. Hoping for it to end soon, it’s awful seeing him like this all the time and missing so many classes. Fingers crossed. Glad your toddler is getting better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I feel your pain, our little one started at 11 months, we missed 5 weeks in total from sept to dec from creche, alot of time off from work and family helping out but we were near breaking point with the stress of trying to juggle 2 demanding jobs and started looking for a child minder. Chest infections, fevers, just generally unwell, we wouldn't go 10 days without a call from the creche to report some issue or ask us to collect her.

We had a break through (if you can call it that) in January when she was diagnosed with asthma, she was prescribed an inhalor and it's now been 6 weeks and no sickness.

Shes like a new person, much happier, sleeping 12 hours, eating well. Honestly it was hell from sept to Dec, we're leaving her in creche as i think the mixing with other kids is good for her so put the child minder search on hold.

All I can say is it will get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

MyAnatomy wrote: »
    Hi all. I started my toddler (was 2 in November) in creche in September for around 3 days a week. I know people say it’s common for them to be sick a lot when starting creche and that their immune system is just building but every weeks it’s something new and as a result Iv been missing so much college. 2 respiratory infections since Christmas now he has vomiting and Diarrhea.

How long did it take for your little ones immune system to build/ where they sick this much?

I don’t know if I should take him out of the creche he’s in and find a new one or will they all be the same, I’m at my wits end :(

Our boy ( two and a half today) started creche at exactly two, he lasted until Xmas until we removed him, he was constantly sick from really bad vomiting to chest infections every other week

He hasn't been sick since, two is too young and parents leave their kids over sick

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Normal, they'll just pick up the bugs in school later on, every bug they catch is fought by and recorded on their immune system so they just gotta go through the motions, it's a pain and a shock at first I know but it does settle and it's amazing how quickly they recover from each bout. So it's go through the annoyance now, or later on in school.

I know a few parents who stay at home and never let their kids go near others with colds etc, which I find baffling - you can't keep them in a bubble forever!

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, our little one started at 11 months, we missed 5 weeks in total from sept to dec from creche, alot of time off from work and family helping out but we were near breaking point with the stress of trying to juggle 2 demanding jobs and started looking for a child minder. Chest infections, fevers, just generally unwell, we wouldn't go 10 days without a call from the creche to report some issue or ask us to collect her.

We had a break through (if you can call it that) in January when she was diagnosed with asthma, she was prescribed an inhalor and it's now been 6 weeks and no sickness.

Shes like a new person, much happier, sleeping 12 hours, eating well. Honestly it was hell from sept to Dec, we're leaving her in creche as i think the mixing with other kids is good for her so put the child minder search on hold.

All I can say is it will get better!

The creche experience likely contributed to the asthma, our boy is on inhalers too

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The creche experience likely contributed to the asthma, our boy is on inhalers too

Asthma is not caused by the environment, although conditions such as cold air or dustmites can cause attacks. It's a biological illness.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Normal, they'll just pick up the bugs in school later on, every bug they catch is fought by and recorded on their immune system so they just gotta go through the motions, it's a pain and a shock at first I know but it does settle and it's amazing how quickly they recover from each bout. So it's go through the annoyance now, or later on in school.

I know a few parents who stay at home and never let their kids go near others with colds etc, which I find baffling - you can't keep them in a bubble forever!

GP said while getting doses is part of building immunity, child has stronger defenses encountering said bugs at three than two

maxsmum wrote: »
    Asthma is not caused by the environment, although conditions such as cold air or dustmites can cause attacks. It's a biological illness.

Your surroundings can more often than not contribute to you developing asthma

Poorly ventilated homes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

MyAnatomy wrote: »

It's also a bad time of year, my eldest has been in creche for nearly 3 years and I always notice Jan/Feb there's definitely more going around. It's the same in most offices. Took about 6 months for him to build up a high tolerance but now he's rarely sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

My toddler and me have had 3 really bad bugs including a dose of flu since the new year, he’s not at crèche but I mind another toddler sometimes who is and he brings all the plague bugs with him! I don’t think there is anything you can do to stop them catching them but they will eventually build up some resistance, I’ve just been stressed so I must be a bit run down so that’s why I think I’ve got them too!����

Asthma is genetic not something you catch, it’s a predisposition to allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

In general, a child under the age of 7 or 8 will not receive a diagnosis of asthma. An asthma diagnosis is not determined by the number of chest infections a child gets, or how many times they've needed antibiotics etc. And as others have pointed out, picking up illnesses at creche will not give your child asthma. However, it could exacerbate symptoms if your child is predisposed to asthma e.g due to a family history.

Advertisement