Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car remapped

• 18-02-2019 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Considering getting my 2015 vw Passat 1.6tdi re-mapped. It’s very hard on fuel and was advised this could be a good way to help fuel economy. A crowd in celbridge do it.
    Has anyone any experience of getting this done or is it worth it. Got quoted approx €300 to get it done.
    Thanks
    PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That thing should be averaging nearly 60MPG. What mileage is it in fact doing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jimgoose wrote: »

Yes 100% this. You need to figure out exactly what your consumption is. What does the car tell you it is, and then you can figure out the most accurate figure yourself by fill you car with diesel, drive for a week and fill again. Record the mileage you've covered between fill ups and the amount of litres of diesel it takes to fill and you can then calculate you consumption.

If the car is drinking diesel then there could be something wrong, and a remap will never fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

"hard on fuel" is a very subjective term. That car should do 50+ mpg all day long on the motorway but if you're hopping around town in it, stop-starting and doing low miles, then it could very easily drop under 40mpg. And a remap won't sort that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

jimgoose wrote: »

You would have to drive very sensibly to get that type of mpg day to day.
    Small diesel in a large enough car, I’d say high 40’s might be more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Will remapping not damage the car long term? Surly it cant be all pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Tuco88 wrote: »

Annnnnnnnnd out comes the cynic! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

2015 car, can you get the new software from the dealer? The standard settings are ok and cost nothing for you. If you feel that car is not for you (not enough power, bad mileage, etc), do not try to compensate that "error" by remapping. Just buy another car what is more suitable for you. Or if your car have a mechanical issues, just fix it. You driven 4 years by that car (if you are the first owner), you should know exactly how it works and what is the normal or what is out of the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The engine was never right for that car.
    If you like to drive on abit you will be dogging that engine alot of the time and will therefore never get good economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Annnnnnnnnd out comes the cynic! ;)

Huh... I've been called many things in life but a cynic is new.. Bravo Sir, Bravo...

I was only asking, I have a 2L tdi myself.
    Well maybe you will enlighten me? On the subject of remapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OSI wrote: »
    Never seen remaps succeeding in getting any significant fuel saving. As above what mileage are you getting, and more importantly what kind of driving are you doing?

I've remapped a couple cars and am going to do latest in next month or 6 weeks.

Never had better economy.

I suppose technically you could have a bit better by using the increased power under acceleration. ie same acceleration for slightly less revs

In reality will you?

Also don't forget physics. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. ie A remap is not magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have remapped and gone further with all my cars since 2003. I kept them circa 5 years and I put huge mileage on them and never anything failed due to the remapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I never had any problems with cars I've had remapped. There is plenty of middle ground tolerance between how the manufacturer tunes it and how a good mapper tunes it. If you decide to trash the car hard then I'd imagine your clutch and/or gearbox will have a shorter lifespan because of that rather than the gains made by the remap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

w211 wrote: »
    If you feel that car is not for you (not enough power, bad mileage, etc), do not try to compensate that "error" by remapping. Just buy another car.

What's the point of remapping anything so?

What's the point of remapping anything so?
    To extend the d.i.*.k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Get her remapoed lad.
    While your at it get her decat and straight piped.
    She'll get more BOOO like that lad.

Savage lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Remapped one car in my time and when the engine was being replaced I was told that the 120,000 miler looked like it had done around 300,000-400,000. Never saved any fuel either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

Hi
    Considering getting my 2015 vw Passat 1.6tdi re-mapped. It’s very hard on fuel and was advised this could be a good way to help fuel economy. A crowd in celbridge do it.
    Has anyone any experience of getting this done or is it worth it. Got quoted approx €300 to get it done.
    Thanks
    PM
    The best man to remap a car is joe power www.tdr.ie.

He knows his vag remaps inside out , has a great reputation and wont push a car too far.

OSI wrote: »
    Never seen remaps succeeding in getting any significant fuel saving. As above what mileage are you getting, and more importantly what kind of driving are you doing?

Ive a chip on my car and it gets 6mpg more chipped from 120 to 150 and thats a generic chip not a custom remap

Huh... I've been called many things in life but a cynic is new.. Bravo Sir, Bravo...

I was only asking, I have a 2L tdi myself.
    Well maybe you will enlighten me? On the subject of remapping.

Think about emissions. To reduce NOX , the car is set up to burn more diesel to reduce emissions. Reverse this and you get more economy.

Then with more power it accelerates easier , holds its revs and doesnt bog down as much.

A lot of cars were derated ie 140bhp to 120bhp for CO2 figures as well to get their VRT and tax figures down.By remapping you just bring those back to what they were meant to be

On the other side you have the lads who push the car too far and will cause damage /wear the engine out prematurely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'v found you can have better power and acceleration and get same mpg

I'v never had them improve mpg just driveability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Wouldn't your insurance company need to be informed too?

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I'v found you can have better power and acceleration and get same mpg...

Of course - power and efficiency are two cheeks of the same arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

To extend the d.i.*.k.

Presume you've never availed of proper mapping then :D

Presume you've never availed of proper mapping then :D
    Sure, because I bought the cars what is for my needs. Buy the right car and you do not need the d.i.*.k extension.

Remapped one car in my time and when the engine was being replaced I was told that the 120,000 miler looked like it had done around 300,000-400,000. Never saved any fuel either.

You must have had a crap engine to begin with. I tuned a car from it’s standard 130bhp up to 220bhp from new. The engine was still perfect after 300k miles.

Sure, because I bought the cars what is for my needs. Buy the right car and you do not need the d.i.*.k extension.

I bought the right car for me, the remapp is a bonus and lets me get the best out of it. So you’re talking sh*te

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

magentis wrote: »
    Wouldn't your insurance company need to be informed too?

Yes.

Lots of people prefer to make excuses than do what their contract of insurance obliges them to do however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You must have had a crap engine to begin with. I tuned a car from it’s standard 130bhp up to 220bhp from new. The engine was still perfect after 300k miles.

For 90bhp you had to have upgraded the clutch at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Get her remapoed lad.
    While your at it get her decat and straight piped.
    She'll get more BOOO like that lad.

Savage lad.

Makita lowered, popcorn limiter, twin boo pipes with letterbox tips, 5M CB aerial, RS5 twists, Van Aaken sticker... Oh yes :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

How do you feel about performance engines being mapped then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Remapping is a waste of good money and simply causes more issues than worth
    Your main problem op is that you have a very heavy body being powered by a 100 odd bhp engine..lots of those sized cars should have had the 2litre engine as standard.. it won't ever be a sports car but once it's well serviced and driven normally it should hit mid 40s mpg. At work we had a 1.6tdi estate 2011 it was quite good overall.. put your money into a good service and diagnostic check to ensure there isn't any faults..and forget chipping.
    As for actual mpg of any car..forget the onboard computer. Simply fill it Absolutely to the max with diesel till you visually see it at top of filler cap then reset your tripmeter.. drive as you normally do till you're under a quarter of a tank..then refill to max again and see what's on the tripmeter. Definitely most accurate way..

• Advertisement

Makita lowered, popcorn limiter, twin boo pipes with letterbox tips, 5M CB aerial, RS5 twists, Van Aaken sticker... Oh yes :cool::cool::cool:

Hoorsprung ditch Feltspek. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement