Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe thunderstorm in Cork City on the 5th October 1995

• 19-02-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone remember a vicious thunderstorm that hit Cork City on the late evening/early night of 5th October 1995. Here is what I can remember. My parents had bought a house in Mulberry Heights in Fairfield Avenue in Farranree and we had an appointment that evening to view the house and sign a contract stating that we were going to buy the house. It started off as a beautiful sunny and mild day. My mother told me about the new house when we got off the bus after coming home from school.Here is my story we went to view the house and sign a lease stating that we were going to buy the house. Then afterwards we decided to drive to the old Statoil garage on the Carrigohane Road to buy a few things and by then it had clouded over and there had already been a shower. On the way home at 9pm when we were driving up past the Sacred Heart Church on the Western Road and there was a flash of lightning above Fitzgerald’s Park. This was followed by a loud clap of thunder and then there was torrential rain. We were then driving up Sunday’s Well and the rain was so heavy at that point you could barely see in front of you. There was also another flash of lightning and clap of thunder but it was when were driving through Hollyhill just by the Hollyhill Inn past the church that the biggest flash of lightning and loudest clap of thunder occurred. It shook us so much that for the rest of the journey home we weren’t even talking much. There were also a few more flashes and rumbles but by the time we got home to our house on Onslow Gardens there was just torrential rain. When we got home we had to just let it out of the car and run home and as a result the car seat in my fathers car got wet. My father then had to go out to close the door in the door an at this point there was another big flash of lightning and rumble of thunder and my mother even thought that was my father was struck by lightning. It then continued until around 11pm but then it moved on. The next day when my mother was in town two elderly men were talking about it on Particks Street and one of them commented how the storm was right above Cork City and about how intense it was given the time of year. It was on a Thursday night that it happened and it was the first time that I remember there being such an intense thunderstorm so late in the year. I would like if anyone also remembers that storm as it followed the hottest summer on record at the time and it was clearly a sign that Summer was over. More recently on the 7th October 2014 there was also another thunderstorm but thankfully that was nowhere near as bad as this one. Please post me your stories and weather charts from that evening as I am interested to learn more about it as it remains untalked about yet it was an exceptional thunderstorm and especially the time of year it occurred. Please even download some old RTE weather forecasts for that evening as a matter of interest.
    I Look Forward To Hearing From You
    Thanks

Advertisement