Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return of the....diesel

• 20-02-2019 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/is-diesel-dead-when-99-9pc-of-emissions-are-mopped-up-by-the-motor-itself-37831360.html

Interesting article about Peugeot, didn't really believe it but they have it all over the internet. The main question "is it bulls**t?"

If not then maybe diesel does have a place in market going forward, along with petrol/PHEV/electric etc then it becomes a choice of which fuel is best for which driver.....

I still do think they need to level off the petrol/diesel tax, maybe bring petrol down 5c and diesel up 5c?

Of course someone would need to verify the below is correct, not so long ago Peugeot had serious issues because of how dirty their engines where and also with buying Opel they ended up with worse technology

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/09/20160905-peugeot.html

https://media.peugeot.ie/file/35/3/308-spec.91353.pdf

Blue HDi comprises two key systems:• A Peugeot additive Diesel Particulate Filter, which dramatically reduces particulate emissions by 99.9% whatever their size and whatever the driving conditions.• An SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system upstream of the Particulate Filter which reduces 90% of the nitrogen oxides (NOx) produced by the engine.The three-stage cleansing process specifically targets the pollutants of diesel combustion, removing hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, reducing nitrogen oxides and eliminating 99.9% of particulates. Combining a Diesel Particulate Filter and SCR delivers the cleanest diesel engine possible and exceptional fuel econom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

The peugeot are not car. Even the French hate these and burns tons of these every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Saw petrol and diesel today at a circle k only 3 cent difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Philb76 wrote: »

I bet its diesel going up and not petrol coming down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Philb76 wrote: »

Currently, the tax on petrol is higher than that of diesel – 47c a litre on diesel compared to 59c a litre on petrol

So if it is the same price then the garage is making a tidy profit on diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

1.31 petrol 1.28 diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

w211 wrote: »
    The peugeot are not car. Even the French hate these and burns tons of these every year.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

With everyone scrambling to get on the EV bandwagon, it makes sense for Peugeot to stick with a technology they know well rather than falling into another fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ah yeah shure, the shaun-deleas-ai is littered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Well, with the DPF,erg valve and now all extra cleansing gear?

Bollox, they killed what made the diesel engine great in 2008. Reliable bulletproof block that ran on the sniff of diesel.

I'd rather a skeeletric one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/is-diesel-dead-when-99-9pc-of-emissions-are-mopped-up-by-the-motor-itself-37831360.html

Interesting article about Peugeot, didn't really believe it but they have it all over the internet. The main question "is it bulls**t?"

If not then maybe diesel does have a place in market going forward, along with petrol/PHEV/electric etc then it becomes a choice of which fuel is best for which driver.....

I still do think they need to level off the petrol/diesel tax, maybe bring petrol down 5c and diesel up 5c?

Of course someone would need to verify the below is correct, not so long ago Peugeot had serious issues because of how dirty their engines where and also with buying Opel they ended up with worse technology

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/09/20160905-peugeot.html

https://media.peugeot.ie/file/35/3/308-spec.91353.pdf

Blue HDi comprises two key systems:• A Peugeot additive Diesel Particulate Filter, which dramatically reduces particulate emissions by 99.9% whatever their size and whatever the driving conditions.• An SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system upstream of the Particulate Filter which reduces 90% of the nitrogen oxides (NOx) produced by the engine.The three-stage cleansing process specifically targets the pollutants of diesel combustion, removing hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, reducing nitrogen oxides and eliminating 99.9% of particulates. Combining a Diesel Particulate Filter and SCR delivers the cleanest diesel engine possible and exceptional fuel econom

Right then - can someone properly experty and independent of Peugeot with the right gear - actually verify this - in real world driving tests?????.

If yes - then we can consider it seriously.

In other news - even if the new Peugeot diesels are indeed super super clean - we also have a need to reduce the amount of fossil fuel we use.

Also am i right in thinking that EVs are actually more efficient users of their energy then the typical petrol or diesel.

The Ford Focus electric - a compliance vehicle so probably far from optimal was down as having an MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) of something like 100.

Whereas a Prius was something like 40 to 50 - this was US gallons i recall.

Model 3 is on 136 MPGe i think.

So still potentially better going for electric where they fit the user needs of a driver.

Am i missing something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Your first mistake was reading the Independent, and your second mistake was believing anything from one of the largest diesel engine manufacturers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They won't just go away you know.... (diesel engines), but the tech to get them approval just gets more complex and expensive,
    There's still gonna be a need for diesels in commercial and cars putting in high mileage...
    I reckon a diesel hybrid(maybe plug in) or diesel electric will be a thing down the line,
    But again more complexity and cost... So it'll probably only suit someone spending long hours at the wheel..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Markcheese wrote: »
    They won't just go away you know.... (diesel engines), but the tech to get them approval just gets more complex and expensive,
    There's still gonna be a need for diesels in commercial and cars putting in high mileage...
    I reckon a diesel hybrid(maybe plug in) or diesel electric will be a thing down the line,
    But again more complexity and cost... So it'll probably only suit someone spending long hours at the wheel..

Even if BEV had a full range of cars available I still believe diesel has a place in market. But limited compared to what it is now.

In regards to a hybird, their is diesel PHEV available, very limited. What you will see a huge introduction of mild hybrid diesel engines. Hyundai/VW etc are all going to release and engine very soon if it is not already out. This should also help reduce the emmisions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

99.9% when new and/or properly maintained. Probably needs AdBlue for NOx also.

Real world usage isn't going to be anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Old diesel wrote: »
    Right then - can someone properly experty and independent of Peugeot with the right gear - actually verify this - in real world driving tests?????.

If yes - then we can consider it seriously.

In other news - even if the new Peugeot diesels are indeed super super clean - we also have a need to reduce the amount of fossil fuel we use.

Also am i right in thinking that EVs are actually more efficient users of their energy then the typical petrol or diesel.

The Ford Focus electric - a compliance vehicle so probably far from optimal was down as having an MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) of something like 100.

Whereas a Prius was something like 40 to 50 - this was US gallons i recall.

Model 3 is on 136 MPGe i think.

So still potentially better going for electric where they fit the user needs of a driver.

Am i missing something

I don't believe any of those figures either.

BMW plastered 120 mpg on the side of there 3-series PHEV in Joe Duffy motors and even the salesman there lol'd at it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That's a different kettle of fish altogether:

The US EPA "MPGe" (miles per gallon equivalent) is a calculation based on the energy content of petrol, used to compare energy usage of EVs to petrol cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

The "120 MPG" bollocks you would have seen advertised on a BMW 330e would be the petrol consumption figure (not equivalent) measured in the very flawed NEDC cycle (essentially a useless number): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle

Here's the 330e vs. 320i in US EPA terms (keeping in mind that a US gallon is smaller than ours):
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39407&id=39134
    The 71 MPGe of the 330e is the equivalent of how much energy it uses in all-electric mode - it's not a fuel consumption figure, and would be more useful for comparing with other PHEVs. The 30 MPG is how much it uses when in petrol-only driving.

Advertisement