Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist hit side mirror and now it is not flush with bodywork

• 21-02-2019 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

Ok Cyclist hit the side mirror recently. We had the car in for a tyre change and they could push it back in. However it’s not flush with the body, see attached image

Seat Dealer said that it would cost €100 to strip it down and see what the problem is and then if any parts required that would be extra. However this SEAT dealer was looking for €200 for Bridgestone tyres when I can get them in Tyreland for €114 and we have had issues with them

None of us mechanically minded but has anyone had experience of this as to be honest we don’t want to deal with this particular SEAT dealer ever again. I have a local mechanic and not sure if he can fix it, have to contact him. However not sure if it’s an electrical thing. Mirror working ok and folds in and out just not flush with the bodywork

https://ibb.co/xhdGCWZ

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

€100 sounds reasonable for a fiddly job.

Why did you go to them for a quote if you don't want to deal with them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Looks like iit needs repositioning but You won't know until the you have a look inside the door which probably means inner door trim off . I could see a mechanic spending over an hour at that so €100 isn't outrageously expensive see main dealer hourly labour charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Car was in for service as we have 3 year plan and mirror was pushed in so I did not force it back. So asked them if they can have a look at it.

Its €100 for them to strip it down and find out the issue. Any extra parts cost would be more.

So €100 reasonable and could there be extra parts required?

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't be too hung up on the overpriced tyres in a dealer. They are not a normal tyre shop and you'll find most would charge a large premium on tyres. As for your mirror it's really hard to say. What car is this exactly? Model and year? Perhaps there's some documentation online that would show us what could be wrong and how hard it is to disassemble. I wouldn't be wild about paying a dealer 100 to strip it, that seems like a lot of cash for not much work.

Whole different story re the Tyres and Dealers shamble in fixing puncture might have posted on here about that.......long story

Car is Seat Ateca 2017 Xcellence TDI.

Not wild about paying dealer as their customer service not been great thus reason for staying away from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How did the cyclist hit the mirror?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    How does this help the OP in any way at all?
    If the cyclist was wrong then the cyclist pays or does being a cyclist absolve them of any wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Riva10 wrote: »
    If the cyclist was wrong then the cyclist pays or does being a cyclist absolve them of any wrongdoing.

I very much doubt OP has the cyclists information to claim off him directly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Riva10 wrote: »

How do you propose they locate the cyclist? If they can, how do you propose they enforce payment?

And, back to reality...

Mc Love wrote: »
    How did the cyclist hit the mirror?

With their bike :D

not sure how but they hit it on the side and mirror bent in no come back as cyclist just went off

But not a thread about how it happen more of how much to fix it and is €100 to much just to look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The problem with main dealers is they need to charge an investigation fee, otherwise they would spend the whole day looking at things for free. "oh it just needs a sensor? that's grand, i'll get my mechanic to sort that so" etc etc.

The fee is usually based on one hours labour, most things can be diagnosed within an hour. If it can be fixed during the investigation hour, the fee doesn't usually rise from the initial figure, the fee is all it'll be and if it turns out to be a big job and you give them the work, the investigation is waived. The investigation fee is only enforced if they tell you whats wrong and you don't repair with them. Obviously this is quite a simple issue but the same price is quoted whether you've a loose wing mirror or your car wont start, but only on Tuesdays and only in the rain when facing down hill.

I've seen a couple of scenarios like that before where the mirror housing was actually fine (intact) but the mounting points on the inner door skin got stretched from the force as the metal is quite thin there. All it took was for the door card to be removed, have the door straightened as best as possible inside and a couple of larger washers fitted to the bolts holding the housing in place. An hour would cover that, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the door card have to come off to get at the mirror? I’d imagine it could be bodged fixed using washers or something but not sure if a main dealer would go down any other way than the ‘order a mirror’ route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah in those it does. If it's anything like the ones we've had in, washers were the only way out bar sending it to a body shop to fix the door, the mirror housing stayed 100% intact, it was the holes in the door frame that it bolts through that got stretched to the point where the bolts were pulled through them, I have a pic of one I'll try find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I was sitting in traffic and a cyclist passing clobbered my passenger side mirror. He broke the mount and ****ed off. Almost 3k to replace. Had I hit him, I'd be paying

Advertisement