Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCP - How to choose?

• 21-02-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I currently have a 06 Fiesta running well but with a few bumps and bruises. I am looking to get a new car on PCP using the scrappage and maybe 2k as a deposit. Ideally, I'd like to keep monthly repayments to ~300.
    I'm 6'7" so something with a bit of height would be great. I'd like to stick to petrol as my work commute is not too far and other than that it will be city driving.
    I'm really struggling to figure out what I can afford that will offer a bit of comfort as I'm only thirty and already struggling to heave myself out of the fiesta so any suggestions are gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

I’m not sure if you made a typo there but from your driving description it sounds like a diesel wouldn’t be suited to you, they’re generally recommended for longer journey ‘motorway mileage’ rather than urban driving. Although I have a diesel myself and do a lot of city driving it’s not the end of the world just means so extra servicing/ attention to dpf etc but that’s a whole other post.

Volkswagen are doing either 0% or 1.9% PCP on the new golf (i think 0% may be over but not sure) so that could be worth looking at.

Hyundai are doing 3.9% so the i30 could be an option if the golf came in out of budget

Also, some people are advising not to go in with low value cars for scappage as the dealer may offer what seems like a generous figure for an old car but they are then offering little or no discount on the list price, so they are giving on one end but not taking off on the other if that makes sense.
    An option is to sell the car on DD etc for cheap and use that money towards your cash deposit, the advantage being the ‘deal’ is more straightforward and your left to negotiate whatever you can off the list price. Personal opinion and convience come into as some people may not be bothered trying to sell the car separately etc.

Hope some of that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nihaondaer

Good spot cheers - it was a typo, looking for petrol!

Just gave the local VW a call, gonna run up there after work.

Is there scope to look for a little off the list price or are they written in stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your happy to take a car that a VW dealer already has in stock then I'd say there is more room for negotiation but you may have to fight tooth and nail for further discount if you are availing of a scrapage scheme and VW incentives. Factory or custom orders on certain VW models have very long wait times and even the dealers cannot guarantee those dates.

Regarding what car, a crossover or SUV might be more suitable for a tall driver as you don't have to clamber down into it. Something like the T-Roc or Tiguan depending on your budget, would have a higher driving position than something lower down like a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

your not going to get into a new golf for a 06 fiesta + 2k deposit and have monthly's around the 300 mark. you might need to add 4-5k to that deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    I’m not sure if you made a typo there but from your driving description it sounds like a diesel wouldn’t be suited to you, they’re generally recommended for longer journey ‘motorway mileage’ rather than urban driving. Although I have a diesel myself and do a lot of city driving it’s not the end of the world just means so extra servicing/ attention to dpf etc but that’s a whole other post.

Volkswagen are doing either 0% or 1.9% PCP on the new golf (i think 0% may be over but not sure) so that could be worth looking at.

Hyundai are doing 3.9% so the i30 could be an option if the golf came in out of budget

Also, some people are advising not to go in with low value cars for scappage as the dealer may offer what seems like a generous figure for an old car but they are then offering little or no discount on the list price, so they are giving on one end but not taking off on the other if that makes sense.
    An option is to sell the car on DD etc for cheap and use that money towards your cash deposit, the advantage being the ‘deal’ is more straightforward and your left to negotiate whatever you can off the list price. Personal opinion and convience come into as some people may not be bothered trying to sell the car separately etc.

Hope some of that helps

Interesting regarding the scrappage.
    I have an 06 Seat Altea and thinking of getting a new car.

I would probably get about €900 for it in a private sale.

Are you saying I should not go for scrappage deals that offer €2-3k off but try and negotiate a better price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

murpho999 wrote: »

Are you saying I should not go for scrappage deals that offer €2-3k off but try and negotiate a better price?

I suppose I’m saying it all depends really.. just something to be aware of when doing the figures

Some people reckon your better off going in with just your cash deposit and doing a more straightforward deal, reason being car salesmen are notorious for dazzling you with figures and sales pitch’s, they do it everyday where as your average buyer only finds themselves in a garage every few years and may not be as experienced.

I don’t want to tell you which way is better, as I said just something to consider is all

I have a golf on order at the minute and received 3k off the list price so there is room there for haggling

murpho999 wrote: »

The manufacturer is giving the scrappage discount, the dealer still retains their margin on the sale. However it can be very difficult to get the dealer to reduce their margin on these scrappage deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Taking a golf worth 28k,
    Gfv would like be in the region of 10.5k
    300 per month would amount to 10.8k
    Assuming zero percent interest, that leaves a shortfall of circa 7k to be made up in discounts, contributions, deposits and trade in / scrappage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Nihaondaer wrote: »
    Hi, I currently have a 06 Fiesta running well but with a few bumps and bruises. I am looking to get a new car on PCP using the scrappage and maybe 2k as a deposit. Ideally, I'd like to keep monthly repayments to ~300.
    I'm 6'7" so something with a bit of height would be great. I'd like to stick to petrol as my work commute is not too far and other than that it will be city driving.
    I'm really struggling to figure out what I can afford that will offer a bit of comfort as I'm only thirty and already struggling to heave myself out of the fiesta so any suggestions are gratefully received!

Toyota is 3.9% at the moment which is good. The new RAV4 is nice but a bit on expensive side at nearly 40k....worth a look if going petrol as it is hybrid and you will save on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I would maybe look at the Hyundai Kona. I plugged in the values of 4K scrappage +2K deposit and was getting monthly repayments of the Executive edition of a little over 300 a month. That’s also excluding any discounts you get and you really should get at least 2k off the price. There is also a lower edition as well, which would make it cheaper.

I’m looking as well and literally decided to drop in on the Hyundai dealer today and took it for a test drive along with the i30. It was easy to get in and out of and the petrol had decent power (I’m looking more diesel but they didn’t have any to test out, so took the petrol instead). I think the only issue seems that some people don’t like its look, but actually I quite like the looks of it.

Other than that I think you’ll struggle at your price point. Maybe the Peaugeot 2008. I’ve not looked thoroughly at the scrappagge though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ddarcy wrote: »
    I would maybe look at the Hyundai Kona. I plugged in the values of 4K scrappage +2K deposit and was getting monthly repayments of the Executive edition of a little over 300 a month. That’s also excluding any discounts you get and you really should get at least 2k off the price. There is also a lower edition as well, which would make it cheaper.

I’m looking as well and literally decided to drop in on the Hyundai dealer today and took it for a test drive along with the i30. It was easy to get in and out of and the petrol had decent power (I’m looking more diesel but they didn’t have any to test out, so took the petrol instead). I think the only issue seems that some people don’t like its look, but actually I quite like the looks of it.

Other than that I think you’ll struggle at your price point. Maybe the Peaugeot 2008. I’ve not looked thoroughly at the scrappagge though.

The Kona is small, it is not called a compact Crossover for no reason. The OP is 6ft 7 and would probably need to bend himself in half to get into it.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Kona is small, it is not called a compact Crossover for no reason. The OP is 6ft 7 and would probably need to bend himself in half to get into it.....

With the 2008, I’d agree. The Kona is not bad. I actually don’t think he’d have too much an issue getting in. Only the OP will know by looking at it. But he’s coming from an 06 Fiesta, so this will be way more easier to get into. It can also work with his figures, so why it was suggested.

If he had more room on repayments I would look at something different, but anyways I’m 6’0 and the dealer I was with today easily was 6’5” and he’d no issue getting in. Also I found there was loads of space on the interior. Again the OP really would have to see for himself. It may be too small, but it fits the budget he set out.

I would also add that VW bank does used car PCP. That might be worth looking into. Not too sure on the details but you might get a 2-3 year old car that fits your needs and budget as well (like a Tiguan). Again I know they do it but not much more.

PCP repayments are less attractive on used cars though. The whole premise built around PCP is to make buying a brand new car more attractive. That's where the incentives come from manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

bazz26 wrote: »
    PCP repayments are less attractive on used cars though. The whole premise built around PCP is to make buying a brand new car more attractive. That's where the incentives come from manufacturers.

Yeah but VW will still pcp an approved used car at 3.9% which is attractive. New golf in comparison is still 0%.

They’re desperate to force any buyers back to the dealership table in 3 years.

You need to look at the entire PCP deal rather than just headline figures which can be made very glossy. How much the car is costing before the method of payment is discussed. Then a breakdown of how much it is costing you via PCP ie deposit, monthly payments and final balloon payment. Compare that to how much the same car would cost using a standard HP or car loan over the full term where you don't owe a balloon payment at the end of it. If PCP still works out cheaper then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bazz26 wrote: »
    You need to look at the entire PCP deal rather than just headline figures which can be made very glossy. How much the car is costing before the method of payment is discussed. Then a breakdown of how much it is costing you via PCP ie deposit, monthly payments and final balloon payment. Compare that to how much the same car would cost using a standard HP or car loan over the full term where you don't owe a balloon payment at the end of it. If PCP still works out cheaper then fair enough.

Exactly and once the interest races creep up, pcp starts to get expensive and you pay interest on the entire balloon payment over the whole term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Vw are good cars for tall folks. The polo is large for its class. Octavia is also roomy.

Golf is an expensive car from a 13yr

Advertisement