Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making the most of a Smart TV

Options
  • 21-02-2019 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

We got a free Smart TV for the bedroom with a new media provider and have set up the Netflix, which is grand. Don't want to pay for an extra set top box or the like, happy just to have the TV there as it is. Any tips on apps/USB additions to make the most of it without more subscriptions? How do we tune in RTE etc if we wanted that - does it require a box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

More details on the "Smart" TV you have maybe help people assist you.

Not all TV have the same software.

If it is an Android TV, you should have access to Playstore to load RTE/Virgin media player.

If the TV is saorview compatible it should be easy to connect to Irish Channels with just an Aerial (indoor will do if in a good broadcasting location).

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It may have a built in tuner for satellite or saorview. Do you know what tv it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Can you install apps on it?

I use All4 a lot - it is an app that gives a the programs from Channel 4 and More 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It should have a built-in tuner, but you'll need an aerial to get saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Get a fire stick and sideload some apps on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Cazale wrote: »
    Get a fire stick and sideload some apps on it.

Thanks all
    It's an LG 32in smart TV with LG apps and no channels tuned during the auto setup so I figured we'd need something else for saorview. Is there a tiny aerial you can add out of sight? I'm thinking of those yokes from the 80s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Smart TV is the big buzz word out of the sales men these days (+_+)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

maxsmum wrote: »
    Thanks all
    It's an LG 32in smart TV with LG apps and no channels tuned during the auto setup so I figured we'd need something else for saorview. Is there a tiny aerial you can add out of sight? I'm thinking of those yokes from the 80s...

You would need to research the Model number and if it is an Irish version with saorview compatibility. If it has that any modern indoor Aerial should work with it.

webOS 3.5 is crap and sideloading android apps is probably ruled out. So stuck with whatever apps LG provide.

Get a smartstick/chromecast for other apps, as already suggested.

If your in a good reception area for saorview, something like this aerial should work.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Saorview-Aerial-HD-Digital-TV-Indoor-Aerial-with-USB-signal-Booster-Amplifier/302894562873?hash=item4685ec3e39:g:VCIAAOSwd49bp1sy:rk:2:pf:0

s-l500.png

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you get a chromecast you'll be able to cast Netflix, YouTube, all 4 and rte on demand and live.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you get a chromecast you'll be able to cast Netflix, YouTube, all 4 and rte on demand and live.

They should be on the tv already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Second the All4 app for channel 4. TV3 app (virgin media) is ok too. Theres TED app also for ted talks if your into those. We have netflix, and the Now TV stick. I dont find now tv great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i take it you have no limits broadband OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wheety wrote: »
    They should be on the tv already.

Maybe but you'd be surprised plus you won't get the life tv without an ariel.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

fryup wrote: »
    i take it you have no limits broadband OP?

Thanks all
    Yes we've very good broadband and in an urban areas so might try the small aerial just to have the other channels. Thanks for channel 4 app recommendation I would never have thought of that. It's great. We also have a Chromecast in a box somewhere that we never used so will.plug that in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I bought an aeriel on ebay for a fiver or so and I get the saorview channels now - but I am in a direct line of sight with the transmitter in Three Rock - it may not work so well if you are not in a good receiving area.

I very rarely use live tv but occasionally - like for referendum results say - I like to have it as tv3 dont have an app for my tv and the rte app is very unreliable.

My 3 biggest uses of apps are netflix, all4 and youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What do you need to be considered to be in a good area to receive Saorview with only an indoor aeriel? Like how close would your house have to be to the transmitter to get a good signal to negate the need to get an aeriel installed on the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Enter your location here.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1 matt061977

Hi I got a Philips 6700 series ambilight 3 can I get something like Mobdro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

matt061977 wrote: »
    Hi I got a Philips 6700 series ambilight 3 can I get something like Mobdro?

I think that's the saphi os on it so you won't be able to.
    Whats the exact model number? It's on the sticker at the back of the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you might have to buy something like a firestick and sideload it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Skerries wrote: »
    you might have to buy something like a firestick and sideload it

Yip, I have a 4k firestick to watch apps as the saphi os isn't great.

Advertisement