Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Differnce's in jail sentences in Ireland

• 21-02-2019 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

While reading the paper today, i came across a story of a 22 year fella that mugged a bloke with a knife, robbing his phone and 110 euro that he had on him.
    He has previous convictions for robbery and possession of a knife also. The judge gave he 240 hours of community service.

My friends brother was a serious cocaine addict, he owed a few grand and his dealer drove him to a bookies and made him go in and rob it. He also used a knife and threatened a woman behind the counter but all he managed to get was her phone. He got caught for it. While he was awaiting trial , he went to rehab and got clean. He had no previous conviction also. His case went to court and the judge gave his 6 years with 3 suspended.

While i do think he deserved jail, how come he gets 3 years and the other bloke gets community service for pretty much the same crime.

I also know of another lad who got in a fight, after the fella he was fighting walked off, the lad followed him and stabbed him in the back a few times killing him. He got done for manslaughter and was out after 6 years. But when i read similar stories in the news , sometimes they get life which is a lot more years in jail, for doing the same type of crime.

It seems to me , a lot of judges in this country are on another planet when it comes to sentencing. Some people get the book thrown at them while others get a slap on the wrist for the same crimes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Dunno about Europe as I think they have similar justice systems to ours but ask an American about this business of letting people with double digit convictions stroll around free and they'll look at you like you're from another planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In the first case a new phone must be bought, so more VAT for state.
    AOK by judges. Wrist slap - to be seen to be doing something.

In the second case, a major tax driver for the state (gambling institution) was threatened.
    Can't have that.

It's all about MONEY, hence notorious garlic VAT case - don't mess with the state's money or you are going down with no mercy. Always consider how the state's coffers are affected when you are attempting to make sense of a judge's take on a situation.

A judge sees a law-abiding middle income earner with commitments in the same way a wolf views a slow deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

El_Bee wrote: »
    Dunno about Europe as I think they have similar justice systems to ours but ask an American about this business of letting people with double digit convictions stroll around free and they'll look at you like you're from another planet.

Yes we need the American justice system here.
    :cool::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There is something seriously wrong with sentencing for violent crime in this country.

• Advertisement

Yes we need the American justice system here.
    :cool::confused:

At the very least you should be able to take a judge to court for damages if a violent offender who has multiple convictions attacks you, we have an insane compo culture in this country we should be able to turn it back on these judges who live in la la land

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Let me be the first to say it “six years for importing garlic!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Women get off lightly in comparison too.

Look at the horrible woman who stabbed her daughter to death (the Kuwaiti one), a few years in Dundrum and society in general with their sympathy comments about how she must have been unstable.

But Alan Hawe is worse than Hitler, even though he did exactly the same as the Kuwaiti wan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wonder where you'd be from if you told an American about the multitudes walking around with triple digit convictions?

There is a ludicrous liberal slant with the justice system in Ireland; a system that is completely broken and does not serve the people in this country.
    (Unless of course, you are in legal profession).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Let me be the first to say it “six years for importing garlic!”

Let me be the first to correct you, it was "six years for committing a €1.5m+ tax scam". And it was reduced on appeal to two years

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Women get off lightly in comparison too.

Look at the horrible woman who stabbed her daughter to death (the Kuwaiti one), a few years in Dundrum and society in general with their sympathy comments about how she must have been unstable.

But Alan Hawe is worse than Hitler, even though he did exactly the same as the Kuwaiti wan.

Alan Hawe wasn't mentally ill and he killed his whole family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Let me be the first to correct you, it was "six years for committing a €1.5m+ tax scam". And it was reduced on appeal to two years

Yep, then Mick Wallace commits €1.4 million tax fraud, unlike the guy in prison never paid it back, moves assests (e.g. a vinyard to his brother) and he gets.... nothing! not even community service. The point the OP is making is sentencing seems inconsistent which I 100% agree with. I agree there should be scope for aggravating/mitigating factors but I believe there should be mandatory minimum sentencing. I was in court hearing an appeal from a guy who got the minimum fine (for using agridiesel in a truck) and successfully argued that normally you get half the minimum fine for a first offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Speakinig of americans . If you buy the Star today, go to page 13. A scrote from Dublin tried to rob a backpack off an american tourist who happened to be a military policeman. In the ensueing scuffle , they crashed through a window causing 2 grand of damaged. Security held him down, he tried to headbutt them and head butted glass in the garda station. He got 2 years and 9 months . But when you talk about people walking around with double digit convictions, this scumbag had 147 convictions. There needs to be a system here, where you get 3 strikes and your out.

I live in a fairly big town just outside of Dublin and the amount of houses getting robbed is unreal. Theres loads of work here now, so the bleeding hearts cant use that excuse anymore.Get caught robbing 3 times , 10 years , no concurrent sentences, suspened sentences etc. Do 3 serious crimes , 25 years . If your not from Ireland , id deport them straight away after trial, this country has a joke of a legal system.

At the very least you should be able to take a judge to court for damages if a violent offender who has multiple convictions attacks you, we have an insane compo culture in this country we should be able to turn it back on these judges who live in la la land
    don't say it...

Don't say it...

OK ill say it. You're the one talking about enhancing compensation culture by suing judges for damages because of the crimes of a third party!

don't say it...

Don't say it...

OK ill say it. You're the one talking about enhancing compensation culture by suing judges for damages because of the crimes of a third party!

Compo culture is largely their fault, let them reap what they've sown, also they have a duty of care to society, if I get brained by some scumbag with 50 convictions then they've failed in that duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Alan Hawe wasn't mentally ill and he killed his whole family.

I would classify anyone who kills their whole family as mentally ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

While reading the paper today, i came across a story of a 22 year fella that mugged a bloke with a knife, robbing his phone and 110 euro that he had on him.
    He has previous convictions for robbery and possession of a knife also. The judge gave he 240 hours of community service.

My friends brother was a serious cocaine addict, he owed a few grand and his dealer drove him to a bookies and made him go in and rob it. He also used a knife and threatened a woman behind the counter but all he managed to get was her phone. He got caught for it. While he was awaiting trial , he went to rehab and got clean. He had no previous conviction also. His case went to court and the judge gave his 6 years with 3 suspended.

While i do think he deserved jail, how come he gets 3 years and the other bloke gets community service for pretty much the same crime.

I also know of another lad who got in a fight, after the fella he was fighting walked off, the lad followed him and stabbed him in the back a few times killing him. He got done for manslaughter and was out after 6 years. But when i read similar stories in the news , sometimes they get life which is a lot more years in jail, for doing the same type of crime.

It seems to me , a lot of judges in this country are on another planet when it comes to sentencing. Some people get the book thrown at them while others get a slap on the wrist for the same crimes.

6 years for what is, in essence, an armed robbery could have been a lot worse.
    3 Years suspended and he probably got 9 months knocked off the 3 years in prison.

Advertisement