Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My solution to public service strikes

Options
  • 21-02-2019 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

All new hires to be hired on no strike contracts, they can join a union, absolutely, as is their right, but the law doesn't enshrine the right to strike.

All new hires will be hied on the same contracts as existing staff except for the fact that they must sign a no-strike agreement, lots of private sector companies have this.

Public sector workers only have to work for 20 years anyway on a massively over-inflated salary with a pension that the private sector would have to contribute 40% of their salary to get.

In 20 years, most of the current staff will be retired and we will have a public sector made up of workers who will be unable to strike.

Newly hired teachers will also have to work during the summer. 18 weeks of annual leave is absurd!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Be more of a social club than a union. If they could take no industrial action?

Some companies prohibit unions such as Ryanair did up until recently.

You probably get more from working with your staff than against them. In the long run anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Crock Rock wrote: »
    All new hires to be hired on no strike contracts, they can join a union, absolutely, as is their right, but the law doesn't enshrine the right to strike.

All new hires will be hied on the same contracts as existing staff except for the fact that they must sign a no-strike agreement, lots of private sector companies have this.

Public sector workers only have to work for 20 years anyway on a massively over-inflated salary with a pension that the private sector would have to contribute 40% of their salary to get.

In 20 years, most of the current staff will be retired and we will have a public sector made up of workers who will be unable to strike.

Newly hired teachers will also have to work during the summer. 18 weeks of annual leave is absurd!

So , say for example we had this no strike scheme in operation and the staff who could strike, went on strike and the ones who couldn't strike decided not to pass the pickets were sacked for breaking their no strike agreement , what would happen then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

giphy.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Great Idea

Also Illegal- Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Great Idea

Also Illegal- Try again.

Which specific part of my proposal would be illegal?

Non-strike contracts are fairly commonplace.

You cannot fire someone for union membership, but you CAN fire them for striking.

I await your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Which specific part of my proposal would be illegal?

Non-strike contracts are fairly commonplace.

You cannot fire someone for union membership, but you CAN fire them for striking.

I await your reply.

Do you think no strike contracts should be introduced across the board, or only in the public sector?

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you think no strike contracts should be introduced across the board, or only in the public sector?

Striking, in general is not tolerated in the private sector.

Public sector workers strike all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are you saying people in the public sector retire after 20 years now? ( They don't lol) Or you think they should?

Who do you expect the teachers to teach when the school is closed for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you'll have to excuse my ignorance here, so i apologise in advance. WTF would anyone sign a contract they dont agree with? i'm sure unions have their purpose but for wage increases? you dont like the terms, dont take the job.

am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’d happily sign a no strike contract if I could one of these gold plated pensions after just 20 years service you speak ok. Can you direct me to one please?

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Are you saying people in the public sector retire after 20 years now? ( They don't lol) Or you think they should?

Who do you expect the teachers to teach when the school is closed for the summer?

• There should be summer school for those who need it.
    • Work in the Department of Education.
    • Mandatory participation in correcting of exams (this should be part of their salaried work for no extra pay).
    • Upkeep of school grounds.
    • Admin work in the department.

There's lots to do.

you'll have to excuse my ignorance here, so i apologise in advance. WTF would anyone sign a contract they dont agree with? i'm sure unions have their purpose but for wage increases? you dont like the terms, dont take the job.

am i missing something?

Don't agree with the contract then you don't get a cushy public service job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

What new entrants are on over inflated salary?

If you think the PS is so cushy why didnt you join?

Ninthlife wrote: »
    What new entrants are on over inflated salary?

If you think the PS is so cushy why didnt you join?

• Too late in my career. I'm 28 now.
    • Jobs are like hens' teeth.
    • I'd have to take a couple of years out to retrain.
    • Nepotism and cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What a silly crock of s***.

• Nepotism and cronyism.

What nepotism or cronyism would prevent you getting a job?

At 28 you could join and have 40 years service at 69

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Nepotism and cronyism.

• I joined at 38
    • They are taking on hundreds of people at all stages of careers
    • What do you do that wouldn't transfer?
    • The tests are done on a strict order of merit.

What nepotism or cronyism would prevent you getting a job?

In schools it's parish politics as the parish priest has a say in appointments, especially in National Schools.

Need I point out other sources of Nepotism?

• Nepotism and cronyism.

I'm 40, and only started recently. Still waiting on my placard.

Oh, and I'd to interview in front of 5 people. None of which I knew or was related to. I actually had to note something like that down on my application if I remember right.

• There should be summer school for those who need it.
    • Work in the Department of Education.
    • Mandatory participation in correcting of exams (this should be part of their salaried work for no extra pay).
    • Upkeep of school grounds.
    • Admin work in the department.

There's lots to do.
    -Ok there already are summer schools.

-I worked previously in the department of education they are well staffed, and the roles aren't interchangeable, there would also have to be massive investment in office space etc.

-What would they be marking over the summer...whose work?

-Teachers are not ground keepers.

Do you think people in the public sector retire after 20 years?

• Advertisement

In schools it's parish politics as the parish priest has a say in appointments, especially in National Schools.

No, give me cold hard facts. None of this chinese whispers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its undemocratic.

Some angry outrage trolls would see everyone starving with no rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

That is becoming very much the exception nowadays. I won't say it doesn't happen but it is very much no longer the norm.

• Nepotism and cronyism.
    What a load of crap.

I know plenty of people who joined the CS older than that.
    Hens teeth lol..mAre you on publicjobs.ie? There are a lot of jobs, panels etc, just look.
    You can get training on the job.
    Recruitment is extremely transparent and usually through PAS, I'd say a lot less of cronyism etc in CS than private.

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm 40, and only started recently. Still waiting on my placard.

Oh, and I'd to interview in front of 5 people. None of which I knew or was related to. I actually had to note something like that down on my application if I remember right.

why do you think that might be?

To ensure the integrity of the competition and the interview board. So that if some loon screams nepotism/cronyism it can be shown the process is transparent and fair to all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I think he means agreeing to the no canvassing rule. If you try and get someone to 'put in a word' you're disqualified.

I would assume so that there to prevent any semblance of impropriety.

Or maybe it was to match up family members and I lucked out. ðŸ˜

To ensure the integrity of the competition and the interview board. So that if some loon screams nepotism/cronyism it can be shown the process is transparent and fair to all

thats actually a solid reply :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Start printing P45s as soon as they go on strike

Advertisement