Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zika virus outbreak in Lahinch?

• 21-02-2019 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

So Rory Macilroy has decided to skip the Irish open to concentrate on the British open. Quite a poor PR move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭political analyst

What has golf got to do with the Zika virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What has golf got to do with the Zika virus?

He refused to represent Ireland in the Olympics due the virus. Same with the Lowry clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

That's one extra car space in Lahinch for the Open...
    Lahinch is a beautiful course, it's sad he's not going to turn up.

Gives someone else a chance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He refused to represent Ireland in the Olympics due the virus. Same with the Lowry clown.
    It was a very weak excuse tbf. You'd have more respect if he'd just been honest by saying it wasn't worth his while, that majors matter more than Olympic medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well he is foreign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

He's just trying to Zika tension! .................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭touts

Almost every major tournament he has played in recent years he will have one round that threatens the course record. One round that threatens to exceed 80 and two average rounds in or around par. That's all mental and skipping the Irish Open will do **** all to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So? More money in the UK one no doubt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think Furio said it best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What dates are we talking about?

Myself and the wife go to Lahinch frequently and I wouldn't fancy being stuck there with a bunch of Golf bores.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

touts wrote: »
    Almost every major tournament he has played in recent years he will have one round that threatens the course record. One round that threatens to exceed 80 and two average rounds in or around par. That's all mental and skipping the Irish Open will do **** all to solve the problem.

The same golfer who has won 4 yes 4 majors in his career?

99% of golfers win none!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

If they around the same time, the British open is a major of course he should not play the Irish open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I cannot find anything likable about the guy.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    If they around the same time, the British open is a major of course he should not play the Irish open.

Irish open is 2 weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭touts

The same golfer who has won 4 yes 4 majors in his career?

99% of golfers win none!

He hasn't won a major in years and it's because he can't string 4 good rounds together. He clearly has the talent but I think something is mentally blocking his ability to win. Skipping the Irish Open isn't going to solve that.

touts wrote: »
    He hasn't won a major in years and it's because he can't string 4 good rounds together. He clearly has the talent but I think something is mentally blocking his ability to win. Skipping the Irish Open isn't going to solve that.

Can’t see him ever winning another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Irish open is a bit of an ordeal for McIlroy with sponsors commitments and so forth. The reason he gave up the sponsorship was to focus on playing before the Open. I'm sure he would love the money the McIlroy foundation would make in sponsoring it but he is a golfer, first and foremost.

It should be noted that McIlroy was a huge figuring in reviving the Irish Open from just another European Tour event to a top class competition. He owes the Irish Open nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Funny thing about Rory

From the first time I saw him I knew he was a complete and utter gowl

I just knew

Advertisement