Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Maher

Options
  • 21-02-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

just thinking out loud why cant we have a show like Bill Maher on RTE or would it be allowed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't really rate him. There is something forced and uneasy about his comedy.
    I think Colbert, Noah and Meyers are more likable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It would never work with the lightweights we have on television here. Look at Tubridy for example. He goes very easy on all the people he likes and acts like a petulant child with those he doesn't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Whilst I agree with some of his views (I get the podcast version of the show), his default Republican bashing does get a little tiresome, comedian instincts and political differences aside. I much prefer 'new rules' to the monologue too, it at least has some bite.

But yes, there should be someone like him here, not for a particular set of beliefs, but the willingness to debate and deal with uncomfortable topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

He has some great one liners but can waffle on about things he knows nothing about, his laughing at conservatives for not accepting science while being anti vaccine is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ipso wrote: »
    He has some great one liners but can waffle on about things he knows nothing about, his laughing at conservatives for not accepting science while being anti vaccine is ridiculous.

Well, he just spouts plain old bollocks sometimes. "We have 12 aircraft carriers, nobody else has any." Er, other countries do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aren't the rules about balance and impartiality far stricter here than America anyway though? I doubt you'd be able to do a Bill Maher (or any other type of similar) show over here even with the right presenter. They'd be completely shackled by rules of balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

He's the best of a bad bunch, I'm that he will actually speak frankly to conservative voices like Steve Bannon and Ann Counter without haranguing them or putting words in their mouth. He doesn't live in the same bubble that other media types inhabit, and knows the white working class vote still counts for something. The other talk show hosts are totally insipid and still sore about Trump's victory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    Aren't the rules about balance and impartiality far stricter here than America anyway though? I doubt you'd be able to do a Bill Maher (or any other type of similar) show over here even with the right presenter. They'd be completely shackled by rules of balance.

I believe so; wouldn't call myself an expert on broadcasting legislation but I'm fairly sure in current affairs programming there's a requirement to have a balancing view on any subject.

Definitely goes a long way to ensure some kind of rational, mature debate; the recent referenda point towards that as a good example. As emotional as the discussions became, they were still 'round table' debates so all sides got to put their views to the public.

Obviously the flip-side of that tactic is that sometimes you end up with total cranks on the other side, when the subject is more demonstrably straightforward.

Happily, where attempts have been made to bring ... 'American' style tactics into these debates, they have been failures. The very last thing I want in Irish political life is demagoguery. I like and appreciate how grown-up and ... well, boring, our current affairs can be. Maher'esque types can stay the hell away - and that's speaking as someone who'd think of himself as Left Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He's the best of a bad bunch, I'm that he will actually speak frankly to conservative voices like Steve Bannon and Ann Counter without haranguing them or putting words in their mouth. He doesn't live in the same bubble that other media types inhabit, and knows the white working class vote still counts for something. The other talk show hosts are totally insipid and still sore about Trump's victory.

His whole gimmick is 'I am left wing but I won't debate anyone who is left wing on topics that matter instead talk to those on far right'

Yes he isn't establishment like fox, cnn or MSNBC but deep down he is desperately attempting to garner the conservative viewer just like they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Don't really watch his show anymore it got very tiresome for me, the only US politics type show I'd watch now is John Oliver

• Advertisement
Advertisement