Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The live aid cinematic universe

• 21-02-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

We've had Queen in Bohemian Rhapsody, which also featured a cameo by U2
    cp29u5z8sdw11.jpg

Now the Elton John's Rocketman is coming out.

What other Live Aid bands deserve the biopic treatment??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Phil Collins had an interesting day.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phil-collins-live-aid/

Led Zeppelin's reputation rests on their killer set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They didn't play at the event (snubbed by Geldof) so slightly off topic but I sincerely hope there will be a Thin Lizzy biopic some day.

I mean, it's got everything.

Eh? It was roundly panned. They blamed Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They should do a doco on how all the fighter jets it paid for we're used and where they are now

• Advertisement

Eh? It was roundly panned. They blamed Collins.

He was a Plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Adam Ant ......ahem!!!!,his record sales plummeted after his sh*te performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

While there have been several Who based films, none has been a proper biography, that could be quite good taking in the whole 60 'Mod' scene and the origins of some of the songs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm somewhere in that movie, about 20 metres away from the stage snapping away with my camera - this is one of the 550 photos I took that day

freddie.jpg?t=1279027836

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't care. There's some great bands mentioned but biopics are such smaltzly propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm somewhere in that movie, about 20 metres away from the stage snapping away with my camera - this is one of the 550 photos I took that day

freddie.jpg?t=1279027836

Wow close to 356.7 c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Would prefer to see a good documentary than another biopic. Bohemian Rhapsody was very entertaining and well worth watching but so much was just left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

Led Zeppelin's set at Live Aid was the greatest load of shyte of all time. I have never heard worse to this day and I include pissed pub bands in that. I'll never forget Robert Plant murdering Rock And Roll. One of my favourite bands of all time but that performance was just diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow close to 356.7 c

C? That's Mr Farrenheit, how dare you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can we not do away with this cinematic universe bollix? It's just tired and derivative at this stage.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

Anyway, to answer the original question.......I'd love to see a Judas Priest biopic.

╚╬╝\m/ \m/╚╬╝

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think it works better when they are dead, so here's a couple more from the class of 2016:

473798.jpg473799.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'd like to see a Bono super hero movie where he saves the third world from debt.

I think it works better when they are dead, so here's a couple more from the class of 2016:

473798.jpg473799.jpg

Camera? Lens? Do you have a flicker or whatever with all this lot on it would love to see it. It would be a great thread in the photo forum - concert of the century.

Camera? Lens? Do you have a flicker or whatever with all this lot on it would love to see it. It would be a great thread in the photo forum - concert of the century.
    Olympus OM10, Tamron Adaptall 200mm, plus 2 x convertor

Saving the best for the book:p. There's a random film photography thread over in Photography with a selection of Live Aid and other concerts I took the camera to

Here's a panoramic shot of the stage as I was moving towards the exit (had to catch a late train back to Leeds)

473806.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^ I’m going to guess you either went “safe” with an Olympus Trip or had an FM2 or Canon AE 1 :D

Edit, agh nearly right :D

Phil Collins had an interesting day.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phil-collins-live-aid/

This was the start of his transatlantic journey. As they flew over Wembley that day we were directed to look above

473840.jpg

Beasty, you must be dead proud of those photos. And just to think like, it would have taken years and tons of money to see all those bands in concert and here you were, just one afternoon, and you get legend after legend every 25 mins :D

Beasty, you must be dead proud of those photos. And just to think like, it would have taken years and tons of money to see all those bands in concert and here you were, just one afternoon, and you get legend after legend every 25 mins :D

I also managed to get photos of the Stones in Leeds in 1982, Bowie in Milton Keynes in 1983 (and Manchester later in that decade), Elton John in Leeds in 1984, AC/DC in Manchester in 1982 and 1986, Queen in Freddie's last concert with them at Knebworth in 1986, the Human Rights Now Concert at Wembley in 1988 (amongst others) - have a decade of photographic memories from the 1980s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Pau (Too) Young.

The film follows Paul as he tries to buy cigarettes, get served in a pub and rent a raunchy VHS tape - getting refused each time due to his age.

Fun fact. Paul young wasn’t that young. That was just his surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

freddie.jpg?t=1279027836

Class. Thanks for sharing Beasty.

I also managed to get photos of the Stones in Leeds in 1982, Bowie in Milton Keynes in 1983 (and Manchester later in that decade), Elton John in Leeds in 1984, AC/DC in Manchester in 1982 and 1986, Queen in Freddie's last concert with them at Knebworth in 1986, the Human Rights Now Concert at Wembley in 1988 (amongst others) - have a decade of photographic memories from the 1980s

Ah Beasty- there's a book in it- not just the photos but the stories too around attending the particular gigs- I mean, how many people brought an SLR to concerts in the 80s? Even in the early 2000's I was chased around a Bob Dylan concert in Nowlan Park in Kilkenny by "security types" when i brought my Canon SLR with a zoom lens- I took "refuge" by going up to a Guard :P- I have to laugh considering any crappy mobile phone today would probably have taken better photos- but back then I was classed as some sort of paparazzi :D

Fun fact. Paul young wasn’t that young. That was just his surname.

Yes, he was a late bloomer at just under 30 in term of 80's music success but still a big hit with a female teenage fanbase. I think Elvis Costello was the male teenage fanbase equivalent?

• Advertisement

Ah Beasty- there's a book in it- not just the photos but the stories too around attending the particular gigs- I mean, how many people brought an SLR to concerts in the 80s? Even in the early 2000's I was chased around a Bob Dylan concert in Nowlan Park in Kilkenny by "security types" when i brought my Canon SLR with a zoom lens- I took "refuge" by going up to a Guard :P- I have to laugh considering any crappy mobile phone today would probably have taken better photos- but back then I was classed as some sort of paparazzi :D
    It's pretty much written already, and there are plenty of stories within it. Used to smuggle the camera body typically round my back. The long lens fitted neatly into a thermos flask (with it's inner section removed). Was at the front for Alice Cooper at Manchester Apollo one evening, snapping away with b&w film. He gave me a few funny looks when I was back the following night, this time with colour negatives. Was nearly through the first film when the crowd parted to my left. There was a burly security guard beckoning me with his finger, and of course I had to oblige. He asked for the film and then exposed it there and then... Still, I had my first evening's memories!

Advertisement