Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Prius service charges

• 21-02-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have a new model Toyota Prius ,which was serviced today by Main dealer.

The service was supposed to cost 160 euro ,however I received call advising me that brake fluid needed to be changed (98 euro) and air filter replaced at additional cost of 126 euro in total,which I agreed to.

I subsequently checked the Toyota website ,to find that brake fluid change cost listed at 49 euro.

When I went to pick up the car,I was told by the Service Manager that web site price was incorrect and that he had sent a mail to Toyota .
    Anyway I was charged the full price.
    Does anyone know what my rights are in these circumstances.

On another point Toyota offering 2 Year Full Service plan for 299 this would include brake fluid change,
    I was never advised about this and when I asked could I avail of this offer,
    I was told it was too late too avail of it for this service,but it would be ok for next 2 years.I really don`t understand why I could`nt avail of that deal today

I`m really dissappointed with Dealer and Toyota,any suggestions where I go from here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

lob020 wrote: »
    I have a new model Toyota Prius ,which was serviced today by Main dealer.The service was supposed to cost 160 euro ,however I received call advising me that brake fluid needed to be changed (98 euro) and air filter replaced at additional cost of 126 euro in total,which I agreed to.I subsequently checked the Toyota website ,to find that brake fluid change cost listed at 49 euro.When I went to pick up the car,I was told by the Service Manager that web site price was incorrect and that he had sent a mail to Toyota .Anyway I was charged the full price.Does anyone know what my rights are in these circumstances.On another point Toyota offering 2 Year Full Service plan for 299 this would include brake fluid change,I was never advised about this and when I asked could I avail of this offer,I was told it was too late too avail of it for this service,but it would be ok for next 2 years.I really don`t understand why I could`nt avail of that deal today
    I`m really dissappointed with Dealer and Toyota,any suggestions where I go from here ?

How long do you have the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭lob020

Naos wrote: »
    How long do you have the car?

2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

98 euro is very spicy for a brake fluid change, particularly for a non premium brand. €40-60 is the going rate so the Toyota website was on the money at €49. Not sure what air filter was replaced for 126 but it sounds expensive too no matter what air filter it is on a Prius.

Generally with Toyota service plans you have to take them out when you buy the car new, you can't set them up afterwards (but this is possible with some other manufacturers).

98 euro is very spicy for a brake fluid change, particularly for a non premium brand. €40-60 is the going rate so the Toyota website was on the money at €49. Not sure what air filter was replaced for 126 but it sounds expensive too no matter what air filter it is on a Prius.

Generally with Toyota service plans you have to take them out when you buy the car new, you can't set them up afterwards (but this is possible with some other manufacturers).

Just for clarification,the brake fluid change cost 98 and the filter was 28 _ total 126
    The service plan is available for new or used Toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I have a new model Toyota Prius ,which was serviced today by Main dealer. The service was supposed to cost 160 euro ,however I received call advising me that brake fluid needed to be changed (98 euro) and air filter replaced at additional cost of 126 euro in total,which I agreed to.

Stay away from that dealer.

In the Prius the brakes work much less than in a regular car and as result the brake fluid ages much slower. In mine 10 year old it still was in order. When enquired the dealer, the price was €49 as advertised...

I also don't know what type of gold the air filter they put in is made from... Air filter job is typically not longer than 15 minutes, and the filter itself is ~€15 (exp. https://www.micksgarage.com/d/air-filters/toyota/toyota-prius/prius-2015-onwards/1-8-hybrid-122-1798/products/1825021-14940-118976/mahle-original-air-filter), so dealer would could sell them for around €40.
    I subsequently checked the Toyota website ,to find that brake fluid change cost listed at 49 euro.When I went to pick up the car,I was told by the Service Manager that web site price was incorrect and that he had sent a mail to Toyota. Anyway I was charged the full price.Does anyone know what my rights are in these circumstances.

You paid, you accepted the charge. Nothing to be done.

Don't be with Toyota. You've been burned by chancers...

Write to the dealer and to Toyota how disapointed you are with the service you've received. And don't step your foot in said dealership ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭CoBo55

grogi wrote: »
    Stay away from that dealer.

In the Prius the brakes work much less than in a regular car and as result the brake fluid ages much slower. In mine 10 year old it still was in order. When enquired the dealer, the price was €49 as advertised...

I also don't know what type of gold the air filter they put in is made from... Air filter job is typically not longer than 15 minutes, and the filter itself is ~€15 (exp. ), so dealer would could sell them for around €40.

You paid, you accepted the charge. Nothing to be done.

Write to the dealer and to Toyota how disapointed you are with the service you've received. And don't step your foot in said dealership ever again.
    Using the brakes doesn't age the fluid, brake fluid absorbs water, this water can cause many problems in abs units, it also lowers the boiling point of the fluid which can be extremely dangerous and cause brake failure.

Is the thing with brake fluid that it's hygroscopic so it ages regardless of mileage and usage, that's why it's on a time based interval not mileage, it probably is a maintenance item after 24 months. That said I've never had the brake fluid changed in any of my cars and I've never died but if I had a fairly new car I'd do it for the sake of keeping the records right if nothing else.

Isn't there also an incentive to stay in the dealer network for servicing in that they will extend the battery warranty up to 8 or 10 years or something once you maintain a dealer history?

Maybe try a different dealer next year.

Is the thing with brake fluid that it's hygroscopic so it ages regardless of mileage and usage, that's why it's on a time based interval not mileage, it probably is a maintenance item after 24 months.

I know. But in Prius it never even get's hot, which slows down the water absorbtion. With mine, after many years of service the water contents was still below the warning threshold.
    Isn't there also an incentive to stay in the dealer network for servicing in that they will extend the battery warranty up to 8 or 10 years or something once you maintain a dealer history?

You need to perform addtional hybrid battery test every year to get that - it's not part of standard servicing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I know. But in Prius it never even get's hot, which slows down the water absorbtion. With mine, after many years of service the water contents was still below the warning threshold.

You need to perform addtional hybrid battery test every year to get that - it's not part of standard servicing...

All brake fluid gets hot that's how a brake works, those fluid testers are completely unreliable and testing at the highest point in the system is even more inaccurate as the absorbed water makes its way to the lowest parts of the system. Open a bleed nipple pump out some fluid and test it, you can actually see the water sometimes if the fluid is old. For the sake of 50 euro I wouldn't take the chance. I had the pedal go to the floor in a classic car once caused by a mildly binding brake + old fluid which boiled in the wheel cylinder, I still get the shivers thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Always baffled me when I worked in Toyota as a mechanic how they charge so much for brake fluid change when it literally takes 15-20 mins.
    Seen clutches on Yaris been replaced in less than 2 hours and they charge ridiculous labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The €160 for a service should include the Hybrid Health Check.
    Is the thing with brake fluid that it's hygroscopic so it ages regardless of mileage and usage, that's why it's on a time based interval not mileage, it probably is a maintenance item after 24 months. That said I've never had the brake fluid changed in any of my cars and I've never died but if I had a fairly new car I'd do it for the sake of keeping the records right if nothing else.
    Never changing is bad - it's made a massive difference for me in the past with old cars, the brakes were very spongy in comparison before changing the fluid. And it's in emergency situations when bad fluid will let you down even more.

But 2 years seems excessive? I would have expected 4-5 years to be a more typical interval.

Nope - you can bring it into a dealer just for the Hybrid Health Check for €50, and that will extend the warranty up to 10 years. I do this, and service my Prius myself.

The €160 for a service should include the Hybrid Health Check.

In that case there is no point really to do basic servicing of those cars outside of the dealers network. I don't know if you'd get basic service for much less than €110 if you still want to go to Toyota to do hybrid battery check...

For DIY it can be cheaper, though I had to buy several new tools the first time... and then have since broken one of said tools (oil filter removal thing). It'll eventually be cheaper for me :)

For DIY it can be cheaper, though I had to buy several new tools the first time... and then have since broken one of said tools (oil filter removal thing). It'll eventually be cheaper for me :)

You broke a screwdriver?! When I was into DIY (cannot be bothered anymore apart from extremely simple tasks, such as air filter), I would just punch the filter through...

I guess you haven't changed one in a while! With modern oil filter designs, the housing is re-used and you only replace the paper cartridge inside - no more single-use metal cans, and brutality is no longer an option. :) Basically, I need a 64mm socket for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I guess you haven't changed one in a while! With modern oil filter designs, the housing is re-used and you only replace the paper cartridge inside - no more single-use metal cans, and brutality is no longer an option. :) Basically, I need a 64mm socket for this one.
    In fairness I remember being very surprised the first time I bought a filter and it wasn't in a can.

If you only have bangers and this is your first new-ish car then it's not unusual to not know these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

The cartridge type of oil filters are great. You can see what ... you actually using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

.......Basically, I need a 64mm socket for this one.

Thanks Zilog ! I never knew such things existed.

I've been using
    hz2172.jpg

which I bought in the mid 80's. I think a 64mm socket will be much easier ot use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭blackbox

Modern? This is reverting to what was used before cartridge filters were introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Is the dealer on the northside of Dublin, north-east to be specific? I'd recommend going to another one, either in west Dublin or south Dublin; Carroll and Kinsella Blackrock or Long Mile are good to deal with.

• Advertisement

Is the dealer on the northside of Dublin, north-east to be specific? I'd recommend going to another one, either in west Dublin or south Dublin; Carroll and Kinsella Blackrock or Long Mile are good to deal with.

It's actually 1of the above mentioned.I just checked website and price for brake fluid change has not been altered,so if it's an error why has it not been corrected.I have written to Toyota Ireland and dealer,no response so far
    BTW cost of brake fluid is about 15 euro so they are charging about 85 euro for labour and according to another poster that takes 15/20 mins ,nice work if you can get it
    Thanks for all contribution s so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

It's actually 1of the above mentioned.I just checked website and price for brake fluid change has not been altered,so if it's an error why has it not been corrected.I have written to Toyota Ireland and dealer,no response so far
    BTW cost of brake fluid is about 15 euro so they are charging about 85 euro for labour and according to another poster that takes 15/20 mins ,nice work if you can get it
    Thanks for all contribution s so far

A few posts to their facebook profile wouldn't be long getting the attention this deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

tcawley29 wrote: »
    A few posts to their facebook profile wouldn't be long getting the attention this deserves.
    Sure, here you can not be too negative or mods will erase the text. On facebook you can say what every you think about one or other company/service.

Update
    Still no reply from Toyota Ireland or Main Dealer,and I thought Toyota had such a good reputation for Customer Service
    Posted negative comment on Facebook page also
    I guess next step is Consumer affairs,any other suggestions appreciated

w211 wrote: »
    Sure, here you can not be too negative or mods will erase the text. On facebook you can say what every you think about one or other company/service.

We don't delete anything that can be demonstrated as factual. If we left up every negative review that had no foundation of proof, someone would have taken boards to the cleaners already and then you'd have nowhere to go to tell people how you think they should fix their cars.

Ranting on Facebook is generally a sure fire way to get no results. If you want to seriously discuss it, go in and speak to the manager (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

When did you buy the car? I thought all new Toyota's come with a free 3 year service. https://www.toyota.ie/current-offers/toyota-offers.json

"3 Years Servicing as Standard
    When you buy a 191 Toyota you will receive 3 years servicing as standard! That is peace of mind motoring for 3 years, knowing that your servicing costs are covered."

"This offer is limited to Toyota passenger vehicles sourced only from Toyota Ireland, purchased from a main Toyota Dealer in the Republic of Ireland on all new Toyota passenger cars ordered and registered from the 1st July 2018. "

When did you buy the car? I thought all new Toyota's come with a free 3 year service. https://www.toyota.ie/current-offers/toyota-offers.json

"3 Years Servicing as Standard
    When you buy a 191 Toyota you will receive 3 years servicing as standard! That is peace of mind motoring for 3 years, knowing that your servicing costs are covered."

"This offer is limited to Toyota passenger vehicles sourced only from Toyota Ireland, purchased from a main Toyota Dealer in the Republic of Ireland on all new Toyota passenger cars ordered and registered from the 1st July 2018. "

It's a 161 car,not covered by 3 year's free service, anyway standard service does not include brake fluid change as far as I know
    It's a great car,just so disappointed with Toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Update
    Still no reply from Toyota Ireland or Main Dealer,and I thought Toyota had such a good reputation for Customer Service
    Posted negative comment on Facebook page also
    I guess next step is Consumer affairs,any other suggestions appreciated
    Write a letter on the Irish Times,get plenty of attention then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

It's a 161 car,not covered by 3 year's free service, anyway standard service does not include brake fluid change as far as I know
    It's a great car,just so disappointed with Toyota

How many kilometres on car?
    Was it the 2nd service or 3rd or 4th?
    Brake fluid is to be changed every 2nd service on the prius. The cabin filter and air filter are to be done as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The wife's 161 yaris hybrid is due a service in April. Are we better off getting the 2 year €299 offer?

Advertisement