Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting a car after completing a driving ban

Options
  • 21-02-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I'm just about to complete a 2 year driving ban . I obviously sold my car during this time so I'm looking to hire a car as soon as I get my licence back. Does anybody know if car hire companies can check if you have been off the road as I'm sure if I'm up front about it I've no chance . Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tell the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Tell them nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think Irish rental companies check like they do in the UK, but read over the terms and conditions of the specific firm you're going to rent with. Some may stipulate you've to disclose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bubblehead2019

I don't think Irish rental companies check like they do in the UK, but read over the terms and conditions of the specific firm you're going to rent with. Some may stipulate you've to disclose it.

Good idea nice 1 !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tell them nothing

Dreadful advice.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Do us all a favor and stay off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

TCP/IP wrote: »

What a sanctimonious attitude. Let's never hope you're in a position where you're perpetually punished for a mistake you make and subsequently regret.

OP, be honest, all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thats a bit harsh without even having an idea why the OP got a ban in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

vectra wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh without even having an idea why the OP got a ban in the first place.

2 years is a long ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

fullstop wrote: »
    Dreadful advice.

If he's not obliged to tell them why should he?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Car99 wrote: »
    2 years is a long ban.

Exactly. He's paid his dues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If he's not obliged to tell them why should he?

He shouldn't.

p.s. Read the first post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Does it not have the ban showing on your license as some kind of code, similar to an endorsement?

2 years is a long ban.

And your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

2 years is a long ban.

Potentially imposed by the courts harshly for a simple mistake. Happened to a lad in work. Got slapped with a dangerous driving charge because the other side had the money for a good legal team. He pulled out of a side road at the wrong time.. worst injury was a broken wrist.. And no, there was no more to it.

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Potentially imposed by the courts harshly for a simple mistake. Happened to a lad in work. Got slapped with a dangerous driving charge because the other side had the money for a good legal team. He pulled out of a side road at the wrong time.. worst injury was a broken wrist.. And no, there was no more to it.

Exactly,
    I know of a similar situation.
    Not everyone that gets a ban is a danger to other road users.
    And as stated above,
    OP has served their penalty, allow them to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

TrailerBob wrote: »

Exactly. Decades ago my Dad was in collision with a car that pulled out of a side road without warning. Guard asked if he wanted the other driver to be charged with dangerous driving, he replied "look, he didn't mean to do it, what's the point".

Driver of the other car had a momentary lapse of concentration and my Dad could have had him crucified, but didn't. A lesson I've tried to take with me in the years since.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

What a disgusting attitude to have. He paid the price for whatever he did and served his time. Let's hope you never make a mistake.

canonball5 wrote: »
    What a disgusting attitude to have. He paid the price for whatever he did and served his time. Let's hope you never make a mistake.

It’s not disgusting you don’t get a two year ban for no reason if OP was speeding and racked up 12 points that does not get you a two year ban. Could it have been something to do with drugs or alcohol let’s just pretend it was would it not be better to have that type of person of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It’s not disgusting you don’t get a two year ban for no reason if OP was speeding and racked up 12 points that does not get you a two year ban. Could it have been something to do with drugs or alcohol let’s just pretend it was would it not be better to have that type of person of the road?

He was off the road for 2 year. What more do you expect?
    Sentence served and now move on.

I don't understand people who think offenders should be penalised harder than judge says.

I rented the car recently from europcar and I quickly went through their rental agreement and there was nothing about precious convictions.

• Advertisement

No, you can cop a two year ban for driving without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

What do you mean “that type of person”? Maybe it was drugs or alcohol but he has served his ban and has every right to go back on the road.

What do you mean “that type of person”? Maybe it was drugs or alcohol but he has served his ban and has every right to go back on the road.

I mean the type of person that would do that.
    This type of person should be off the road for good. How many people die each year through this type of incident. But we don’t know why the OP was banned for two years though so we are talking generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Shouldn't concern the car hire company ..once you are in possession of a clean full license at time of rental..but why not simply purchase a small cheap car?? If you're renting you'll drop a lot of euros per week and nothing to show for it..and I'd also be very aware of the rental getting any damage scratches and that would cost big unless adequate insurance protection in place ...

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Shouldn't concern the car hire company ..once you are in possession of a clean full license at time of rental..but why not simply purchase a small cheap car?? If you're renting you'll drop a lot of euros per week and nothing to show for it..and I'd also be very aware of the rental getting any damage scratches and that would cost big unless adequate insurance protection in place ...

Insurance quotes would for a personal car coming off the back of a 2 year ban would be astronomical if you can even get one, and in a lot of cases would require going to the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland and getting a quote for refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

This type of person should be off the road for good. How many people die each year through this type of incident. But we don’t know why the OP was banned for two years though so we are talking generally.

He got a 2 year ban. He's past that now and from his own words he didn't drive while he was banned. We can assume from that point he's law abiding to some degree and the result of the ban was more then likely a mistake.
    It can happen to anyone. He's not a bloody murderer.
    God forbid you ever make a mistake while driving.

No it wouldn’t be better to have them of the road. You do something wrong and you get punished depending on the severity. So what if it was a 2 year ban for drink driving, how many of us drove the morning after over the limit and didn’t even enter our heads before the recent highlighting of it?

I’d say close to every single driver on the roads has done something that had they been caught or luck wasn’t on their side in an incident (or incident didn’t happen etc) then they would face a driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I wonder how many people get injured falling of their horse...

The type of person... What the hell this means.

You do know people make mistakes. And there are no certain types. People of all walks of life do make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Why not go after the gob****es that caused mayhem by crashing on the N7 last night.

Now they are the real offenders.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    I wonder how many people get injured falling of their horse...

The type of person... What the hell this means.

You do know people make mistakes. And there are no certain types. People of all walks of life do make mistakes.

That's the beauty of life, people are entitled to their own opinions and I respect yours but in turn, that means I am entitled to my opinion. Maybe the OP will help the thread by explaining how he ended up with a 2-year ban of course if he or she would like to keep that private I respect that completely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement