Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identify a beetle

Options
  • 21-02-2019 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Any idea what kind of beetle this is? I found it on my car earlier today and hadn't seen it before.
    It was about 30-35mm in length so it was quite big.
    I removed it off and put it into the grass before driving off.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

New Home wrote: »

Not great night time viewing, I'm itching now! Had a look through about 20 pages of images in that type but nothing matching.
    It's colour was an extremely striking dark green. I'll have a hunt in the garden again for it tomorrow but I can't imagine it hung around

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you do get another picture and nobody from here has an answer for you, send an email to Biodiversity Ireland and ask them if they can help you out. :)

(And if I get nightmares populated by bed bugs (and worse!), I'll know who to blame!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi OP, that is a male great diving beetle.

GreatDivBeetleMBJM.jpg

Was it found near a pond. water butt or standing water ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

SlowBlowin wrote: »

GreatDivBeetleMBJM.jpg

That's it.

I often get them here, about a quarter mile from a lake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

SlowBlowin wrote: »

GreatDivBeetleMBJM.jpg

Ahaaa that's it alright! No lakes near me but just past my boundaries are wet/bog lands and a river.
    Did I do the incorrect thing now and put him in the grass, it was fairly damp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

stesaurus wrote: »
    Ahaaa that's it alright! No lakes near me but just past my boundaries are wet/bog lands and a river.
    Did I do the incorrect thing now and put him in the grass, it was fairly damp?

It will be fine. They are excellent fliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

I had a huge one washed out of a gutter that had been blocked for ages....it just trundled off into the grass..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Great photos by the way, love the water droplets on it's back! A step up from the usual fuzzy out of focus shots we often get on here to identify.

Advertisement