Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yawn

Options
  • 02-08-1999 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

yes yawn
    so there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Why Do We Yawn?

If you've ever felt sleepy late at night or bored during a movie, then you know what it's like to yawn! In fact, people aren't the only ones who yawn: watch a cat or dog get ready for a nap, and you'll probably see its mouth open wide and its tongue pop out as it takes a gigantic yawn. Well, whether you're talking about the yawn of a human being or the yawn of an animal, the reason for yawning is the same - to bring more oxygen into the blood and take more carbon dioxide out of the blood.

When you breathe in normally, you take oxygen from the air into your lungs. The lungs let the oxygen pass into your blood, which carries the oxygen all over your body. Every cell in your body needs oxygen, every minute of the day. When cells use up oxygen, they need to get rid of a waste product called carbon dioxide. The blood carries the carbon dioxide to the lungs, and the lungs exhale the waste out into the air. When you breathe out, you are getting rid of carbon dioxide.

When you are tired, bored, or sitting in a stuffy room, you breathe more slowly. When your breathing slows down, the lungs aren't able to bring in all the oxygen your body needs or get rid of carbon dioxide the way they should. When carbon dioxide can't get out of your body as fast as it normally does, it starts to build up in the blood. So in steps your brain to the rescue - it sends a message to your lungs to take an extra-deep breath called a yawn! A yawn makes you breathe in oxygen very deeply, and then breathe out carbon dioxide fully.

You can try a quick experiment to feel how much more deeply you breathe when yawning by putting your hand over your ribcage. Breathe in and out normally and you'll feel your chest move up and down, but only very slightly. Now pretend to take a big yawn, and feel what happens. As you breathe in, you'll feel your lungs inflate as they take in a lot of oxygen. When you breathe out, you'll feel them deflate as they get rid of lots of carbon dioxide. And speaking of practicing yawning, watch what happens if you ever yawn when someone else is around - chances are good that person will yawn, too! No one really knows why yawning is contagious, but it definitely seems to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

lord above!

just wtf are you on lately then eh???
    smile.gif

you seemed bored, so I thought I'd post on your topic... or put everyone to sleep as well.

Hey just trying to inject some surreal posts into this forum, and keep my counter higher then that WWMan biggrin.gif

so why you yawning then? Tell Uncle Hobbes.

um probably cause im tired smile.gif
    im sick atm so I can barely get any sleep:/
    ya wheres everyone gone??

yee all dead?????

WAKE UP!

heehee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

YAWN! redface.gif
    stop yawning your making me yawn ;p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yawn. 1. vi Yaw'n. Open the mouth wide esp. in sleepiness or boredom.. (of mouth or cavity or chasm) gape or be wide open. 2. n. Act of yawning. Further ref: Real Life forum on boards.ign.ie.

...which is an exact quote from the oxford english dictionary.

Hecate smile.gif You should be reading the New M$ Dictionary, ignore that Oxford one... be one with the new world order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Have u noticed that when one person in a room yawns so do others ?
    U see when u yawn you are equalising the pressure in your eardrums with the pressure outside. Consequently the pressure outside changes thus everyone else has to yawn to equalise to the new outside pressure.
    Does this make sense ? I hope not.

Canaboid.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

well what about if someone on tv yawns and then u want to yawn... well? well?! EH!?!?!?!!

wink.gifredface.gifsleepy.gif

[This message has been edited by Acous (edited 04-08-99).]

heh heh, think this one contridicts my last quote.
    Is yawning contagious? Why do we yawn?

Yawning is a deep usually involuntary intake of breath through a wide open mouth often as an involuntary reaction to fatigue or boredom. (Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary)

No one really knows if yawning is contagious or not. It has been a mystery among scientists for centuries. (L. Gene Hornsby, M.D., Director, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, The University of Texas at Houston, Texas)

Nobody knows why and there seems to be no speculation either. Yawning is a physiologic mechanism coming from being bored, sleepy, waking up slowly, etc. It is considered to be a slow breath. (Wayne Lawson, M.S., R.R.T., Department of Respiratory Care, UTHSCSA)

Yawning is psychological because you can tell yourself not to do it and you won't. This is the reason why it is not contagious. Because if it was contagious, you would not be able to do anything about it. Your subconscious is responsible for making you yawn. Yawning is not used to give you more oxygen. (Jerry Yee, M.D., Department of Medicine, UTHSCSA)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Graysonn

This is why I yawn...

I do not care for anything. I do not care to ride, for the exercise is too violent. I do not care to walk, walking is too strenuous. I do not care to lie down, for I should either have to remain lying, and I do not care to do that, or I should have to get up again, and I do not care to do that either. Summa summarum: I do not care at all.

Speak the truth, but leave immediately after

ahha grayson smile.gif)
    bad mistake there smile.gif

"I do not care to ride, for the exercise is too violent."

heehee
    |)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Graysonn

It's Kierkegaard. Turn of the century sort of thing. Ahhh... F*ck Why do I bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

HOW MANY BONES HAS A BODY GOT!

A CHILDS GOT MORE BONES THAN A GROWNUPS GOT!

AND THATS A NATURAL LAW!

THEM BONES! THEM BONES! NEED CALCIUM!THEM BONES! THEM BONES! NEED CALCIUM!THEM BONES! THEM BONES! NEED CALCIUM!

AND THATS A NATURAL LAW!!!

A PINT OF MILK HELPS YOUR! BONES

and thats a natural lawwwwwwwwww!

thank you very much and goodnight

Advertisement