boards.ie Mobile
Page 24 of 24
« First < 14222324
Politics>What is wrong with the health service, HSE
Schnitzler Hiyori Geta 11:05 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by blanch152:
Why should the state give someone a wage?
I'm not against the idea in theory, but I'd support UBI over the current dysfunctional welfare-benefit system. It's that system which is partially the answer to the OP question.
[Quote] [Thank]
Matt Barrett 14:04 11-02-2019
Cap childrens allowance. You shouldn't be able to make a tax payer funded career out of having children. Have as many as you like, the state will only support so much. As regards health, if people are here, they need be looked after in a civil society, and yes people take advantage but many don't. The children's hospital over run is a good example of what's wrong with the HSE. Throw money, no accountability, move along. Why they're stopping at nurses is the mystery. Maybe the issue is too transparent to throw money at unlike the mystery children's hospital cabal.
[Quote] [Thank]
Good loser 00:04 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by blanch152:
50% of the population have a medical card of one kind or another.

If there are deserving cases that are losing out, and I am not doubting you on that, then it is clear that there are very many undeserving cases getting a medical card.
Might have heard years ago (Blaney time) that 80% in Donegal had medical cards.
Can anybody confirm?
[Quote] [Thank]
Nesta99 04:24 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
The figures always baffle me with approx 1.5million people with medical cards and 500k with GP cards. Thats a good chunk of the population that are living on a pretty meagre monthly even considering the aging population and over 70s MC entitlement. (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...nder_70s.html)

It is very common to have patients who are outside the threshold of means testing for medical cards but have chronic conditions like asthma/diabetes etc who neglect their condidtions as a result of struggling with the cost of their monthly meds (€180 pm cap these days??). That subsequently costs the HSE significantly more for the acute care of a flae up in the condidtion than it would cost to allow the patient manage their condition. (A bugbear of mine is/was when a GP service charge for bloods to be drawn even for MC patients!! although its probably preferable than the UK system where GPs dont take bloods at all and patients have to be referred to go to the phlebotomy department of their closest hospital and queue up).
It's a bit off topic but there is massive waste in the system of repeat prescriptions being dispensed without review by a GP or pharmacist and months, maybe years of unused prescription drugs build up, going out of date in the back of someones cupboard. It's often the elderly that this happens with but its not necessarily their fault - they just get their 3 monthly prescription filled and dispensed without asking questions. The amount of times people arrive in with a relatives bag of prescription drugs that are unnecessary, from being superceded by a newer better and not necessarily more expensive drug, drugs for a past ailment that no longer requires treatment etc. It has to run to a waste of millions per annum.
[Quote] [Thank]
L1011 07:39 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
DPS cap is 122 I think, having dropped a few times from its peak. Never reached 180
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 24 of 24
« First < 14222324

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet