boards.ie Mobile
View Poll Results: would you choose solitary confinement or general population in prison if you could?
Solitary confinement 140 66.35%
General population (stay with other inmates) 71 33.65%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll
Page 15 of 15
« First < 5131415
After Hours>How bad is Mountjoy?
weldoninhio 13:31 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by dar100:
You seem to be caught up in my education a lot!!!

I work in the not for profit sector, i don't earn a lot, my educational endeavours, paid for at my own expense, not with Susie grants are my love for education not necessarily needed to do my job . I now work in an area where i don't receive increments, nor pensions (my choice of course). My main body of work entails providing interventions aimed at limiting the impact of those using the service have on Joe Public, so they are not out stealing from you or any others in society.

I could quite easily, like you, ask where is the financial redress for the impact that illegally being excluded from school system at 10 years of age and not having alternatives for schooling offered? This is just one small example of the types of impact that in some manner impacted on my offending as a child.

I was brought up with nothing, in an environment stuck in the most extreme social deprivation you could imagine, where people had to lie about their address to try even get an interview, crime and drug abuse was at epidemic levels, denied by governmental institutes as not a problem, 80% unemployment, intergenerational issues going back years, all placed in ghettos with no services, no hope, and an overwhelming sense of powerlessness. This is without even mentioning the traumas perpetrated behind doors and by those placed in positions of power.

I hope this can in some way contextualize the issues, not excuse or rationalise, but provide the structural, political, and socioeconomic parameters in which crime and criminality occurs in. Sadly, I was not of the variety that wears a shirt and take millions from people at the a stroke of a pen, those individuals are not classed as criminals as those that legislate for law identify with them.

Now, of course all who grow up in such environments don't commite crime, but, its not that simple. Some people engage like this as its all they know, and in some cases the only way they can survive, what's a child to do when the parents are addicts or alcoholics, and food is a scarcity?? This is the reality currently for children in Ireland, and was far more serious in the late 80's early 90'.

Going to school.and getting good grades, or even attending school is not a priority when your hungry or trying to be a parent to an adult. This is Ireland, and this is the reality for many children, the same children who commit crime, end up in prisons, and drugs. Its our hidden harm, but only hidden until it impacts on others outside of these environments.

Feck, just realised this post is in Afterhours😀😀😀😀
Are you Frank McCourt??
[Quote] [Thank]
dar100 13:36 12-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by weldoninhio:
Are you Frank McCourt??
Angela?
[Quote] [Thank]
weldoninhio 13:38 12-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Angela?
When I was growing up we didn’t even have a house, just a puddle. And we weren’t given swimming lessons. We had to fight over dirt to eat for dinner. Oh woe is me!!
[Quote] [Thank]
dar100 13:42 12-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
Originally Posted by weldoninhio:
When I was growing up we didn’t even have a house, just a puddle. And we weren’t given swimming lessons. We had to fight over dirt to eat for dinner. Oh woe is me!!
You still managed to master some fairly good keyboard warrior skills in that there puddle.... moma must of having a second more affluent puddle on the side
[Quote] [Thank]
dermo888 14:11 13-02-2019
You still managed to master some fairly good keyboard warrior skills in that there puddle.... moma must of having a second more affluent puddle on the side
I could'nt help reading your profile, and posts, and have to admit, your the kind of man who can sway the heart and mind of the hardest right winger.

Many stay stuck in the rut. Others fight it. Some finally succeed. Your in the last category. Sorry if I sound like a patronising prick..
[Quote] [Thank]
poisonated 23:05 13-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
I can’t imagine mountjoy is pleasant. I know that if I was sent there I wouldn’t cope. I think anyone who is able to survive that and then better themselves is commendable.
[Quote] [Thank]
Jane_Dough 23:05 13-02-2019
Are there any D4s in Mountjoy?
[Quote] [Thank]
tuxy 23:09 13-02-2019
Originally Posted by Jane_Dough:
Are there any D4s in Mountjoy?
Probably, apparently white collar criminals get to work in the kitchen all day and then locked up at night so it's a type of segregation.
[Quote] [Thank]
Sleeper12 23:11 13-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
There was a documentary on one of the Irish channels tonight about the Midlands prison. I only caught a few minutes of it. It's a lot more modern than Mountjoy but for anyone interested in this thread might find the documentary interesting. I'm sure it will be on rte player
[Quote] [Thank]
Gadgetman496 23:39 13-02-2019 (4 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Sleeper12:
There was a documentary on one of the Irish channels tonight about the Midlands prison. I only caught a few minutes of it. It's a lot more modern than Mountjoy but for anyone interested in this thread might find the documentary interesting. I'm sure it will be on rte player
That's a 4 part documentary filmed over a full year called "Inside Ireland’s Biggest Prison - True Lives" and tonight's was part 2 of 4. the first one aired on Wed Feb 6 2019.

It's on Virgin media One

Player

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie...Biggest-Prison
[Quote] [Thank]
laoisgem 23:41 13-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Sleeper12:
It’s a 4 week documentary, started last week, on virgin media one 😉 inside Ireland’s biggest prison

What gadgetman said 🙂
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 15 of 15
« First < 5131415

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet