Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aaronLARGY

Hi, I'm not a regular boards poster but I've been lurking around this section since I passed my own test in September. It took me three attempts and involved a lot of stress along the way, but now I have a new interest in reading about other people's stories and experiences. For anyone who hasn't seen this before, here's a collection of funny driving test stories from an instructor in the UK. Some of these are absolutely hilarious and the best time to read them is when you've recently passed your test!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

aaronLARGY wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not a regular boards poster but I've been lurking around this section since I passed my own test in September. It took me three attempts and involved a lot of stress along the way, but now I have a new interest in reading about other people's stories and experiences. For anyone who hasn't seen this before, here's a collection of funny driving test stories from an instructor in the UK. Some of these are absolutely hilarious and the best time to read them is when you've recently passed your test!

Some of those are hilarious! Reminds me of my test. Not as funny as some of them but my instructor was waiting for me in the carpark across from the Tallaght test centre. He told me to meet him an hour before the test so I could warm up and do a couple of laps of the route.

He goes, "Right before we head off I need you to press the brake pedal for me". He went around the back to check if they were working. "Don't take the piss" he shouted. "Stop messing and press the pedal". I was pressing it I told him. He goes "well they're not coming on!". I was so annoyed. I told him to press the pedal so I could check for myself. So he went around and sure enough they weren't coming on. I was so pissed off with myself. Changed the tyre that morning but never checked the lights.

Turns out he was messing with me. Lights were working grand and when I told him press the pedal, he was just tapping the floor with his foot. Really helped calm my nerves. Told me he does the same routine with all of his pupils before the exam :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Passed EB in Cork today... sun came out for the first time in weeks and blinded the f£$k out of me!
    Got two blues and happy with them as I would have had a crash if I suck to the rules of the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

Passed my B in Wilton today. I didn't notice her do a whole lot of writing. I just drove with an attitude of "It's not me she's testing, it's my driving." kinda thing. That made everything a lot calmer and smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Passed today in Birr what a feeling when your pulling of the Ls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jester252 wrote: »
    Passed today in Birr what a feeling when your pulling of the Ls
    I hate to be picky but legally you have to display the l plates and be accompanied until you receive your full licence. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

lazygal wrote: »
    I hate to be picky but legally you have to display the l plates and be accompanied until you receive your full licence. Congrats!

No court in the country is going to convict or fine you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

ripping of the L plates and fecking them in the nearest bin was the first thing i did and by god it felt great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

No court in the country is going to convict or fine you for it

And everyones meant to take your word for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

lazygal wrote: »
    Oh I was told to say that my liences is on the way

• Advertisement

Technically its against the law but no one I know has ever been asked let alone convicted for driving without their licence in their possession. Go out and enjoy the freedom. Congrats on passing your test. There is no better feeling than getting your hands on that piece of pink paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭crazygirl101

congrats!! now I'm one for sticking to the rules but I ripped mine off!! lucky I did as they lost my license and I ended up waiting two months to get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Technically its against the law but no one I know has ever been asked let alone convicted for driving without their licence in their possession. Go out and enjoy the freedom. Congrats on passing your test. There is no better feeling than getting your hands on that piece of pink paper.

I was told at the motor tax office last monday that it is ok once you have the receipt for the full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Passed my test today!! Woot!!! Absolutely delighted!! First time out, in Tulllamore, and came back with only 1 blue!! I kicked that test's ass!! It's such a great feeling!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Passed today on my first go in Rathgar :D Absolutely delighted. I was worried when I saw the snow yesterday, thinking my test would be cancelled. The first couple of tests today were cancelled due to ice but luckily mine was in the afternoon. Got 6 blues and a good few greens. Was reasonably happy with how it had gone but still let out a huge sigh of relief when he told me I'd passed. I was mega nervous beforehand and am so happy I never have to go through that again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Passed today in Limerick at my first attempt. Was nervous doing the rules and checks but luckily nothing was marked there. A couple of grade 2s in which some were marked hardly I though, but still passed. This forum has really helped me. Thanks to everyone again for the advice, it really does help a lot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Passed first time in Wilton today with a clean sheet! :D Had a lovely tester and got chatting to her about one of my neighbours that she knew so the 20 mins flew!
    Although when I didn't see her going near the sheet once, after about 10 minutes I got a bit freaked out thinking either this test is going perfectly or I could have a million marks that I don't know about!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Passed about a month ago. I wasn't very excited because thanks to my instructor, it just felt like another lesson. Even after getting the licence I didn't feel that satisfied.

But after finally driving unaccompanied for the first time tonight, a wave of triumph just swept over me.

Passed about a month ago. I wasn't very excited because thanks to my instructor, it just felt like another lesson. Even after getting the licence I didn't feel that satisfied.

But after finally driving unaccompanied for the first time tonight, a wave of triumph just swept over me.

You waited a fair bit to drive on your own. I tore down the L plate and took a bit of a road trip the day I passed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you have to wait for the licence before you drove alone? My husband did, and drove by himself for the first time on Friday, when he eventually got it. He's done several trips since then, and he's gaining confidence all the time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Circumstances meant that yesterday was actually just my first opportunity to drive alone. And I relished it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Passed at the start of the month in Rathgar.
    Fantastic feeling to have the process over an done with - forms in the post for new licence so just a waiting game now which isn't much fun as I have changed my mind about 500 times as to what car to get & how much to spend.

I guess thats a nice problem to have.
    On the downside I now have about 10 years worth of lifts & pick-ups to payback.

Passed at the start of the month in Rathgar.
    Fantastic feeling to have the process over an done with - forms in the post for new licence so just a waiting game now which isn't much fun as I have changed my mind about 500 times as to what car to get & how much to spend.

I guess thats a nice problem to have.
    On the downside I now have about 10 years worth of lifts & pick-ups to payback.

Still have to wait for the experience of getting my first car. Using the parents car until I'm out of uni and have the money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Still have to wait for the experience of getting my first car. Using the parents car until I'm out of uni and have the money. :rolleyes:

It's not as much fun as it seems believe me, petrol ,repairs, servicing worrying about people scratching it, with your parents car none of them worries :D

Shankly88 wrote: »
    It's not as much fun as it seems believe me, petrol ,repairs, servicing worrying about people scratching it, with your parents car none of them worries :D

Ohh believe me, I'm well used to having to buy petrol. The others?... not so much :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Passed this morning thank god to have it done!, all went well until I noticed the airbag warning light came on when I was doing the hill start (loose connector under passenger seat) but the tester didn't notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

akura wrote: »
    Passed this morning thank god to have it done!, all went well until I noticed the airbag warning light came on when I was doing the hill start (loose connector under passenger seat) but the tester didn't notice.

lol :p:D

Congrats anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Abusaber

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker in these forums, passed my test today in finglas, first time, to say I am delighted is an understatement.
    Thanks to everyone who posted any bit of advice.

I want to share a couple of things: the first ten minutes of the test are crucial, after 10 minutes the tester never really bothered to check whether I did the observations when turning left or right correctly, he was just sitting there relaxing, and enjoying the ride..!!

You should study these videos religiously, they really helped me big time, mind you, I did not do any pre-tests.

http://www.ism.ie/advice/learn-to-drive/videos

Once again, thank you to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 One Of Shanks

Got mine today. 1st time, Rathgar.

Got a really sound tester. He was doing his may west to put me at ease and couldn't have been nicer.
    Very likeable fella. To be fair he seemed like he was hoping i passed rather than hoping i failed, which is about as much as you can ask for.
    No complaints about the bits he marked me for, and without asking, he explained each of them in detail afterwards.

You hear some scary stuff mentioned on various forums about testers but this lad was very pleasant. Even if he had failed me I couldnt have complained about his manner or anything, he was very pleasant.

The 15 minutes in the waiting area is probably the most awful part of it. At least yer in control of your own destiny after that, but the waiting is a killer.

I would echo what the above poster said about a good start being important.

I got through the first 20 mins without him writing anything, and although i made several mistakes after that, i sort of think he knew I wasnt the worst of drivers by then so I had a decent shot.

It's a horrible nerve-wrecking experience but nice to be able to report back on a very pleasant and fair examiner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

I passed first time in Finglas a couple of months back.

Have to agree with other posters in that if you give the impression of being a good driver and have confidence then the tester will generally pick up on that and, I'd imagine, decide early on that you're good enough.

I had an extremely pleasant tester who helped put my nerves at ease and let me off on a bad right turn I took, which was genuinely a moment of nerves in an otherwise confident drive.

Actually I forgot to signal a couple times pulling in and out and ended up doing it at the last second but he seemed to recognise that this was down to nerves too probably because it contrasted so much with my good driving just before and after.

Basically if you know you can drive, then just drive and forget about trying to remember every little thing.

Advertisement