Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsuccessful - post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

susanna wrote: »
    Failed in Raheny today and I can't understand what happened at all. I got 20 Grade 2's... thats right, 20! Which seems crazy to me. I did pre-tests with two different instructors and I passed both with very few errors. I drove no differently today to how I normally would. No obvious problems or so I thought. I can see where I picked up some of the marks but 20 seems way over the top.

I got a Grade 2 on Rules and Checks even though I know I got them right. I spoke to my instructor and told him what I'd been asked and how I answered and he said it was perfect. I also checked the Rules of the Road afterwards and my answers were right! In the car I was asked to show the full and dipped lights, windscreen washer and rear window heater, got them fine. No bonnet checks as it was raining. So where on earth did he pluck that grade 2 from?

Whatever anyone says about it being fair for everyone, there is definitely an element of luck involved. I really think my tester was completely unreasonable. Its just soul destroying when you work so hard for it and you think you're doing well, and then you get a crazy result like that. Its knocked my confidence so much.

Sorry I'm just so frustrated and needed a rant!

If two instructors marked you on pre-tests (Mock Test ?) as being ready for the test, you yourself then believed you drove to the same standard in the actual test, I would seriously question the competency of both instructors.

Examiners do not pluck faults from thin air.

For example, Rules/Checks also includes proper adjustments of the door, mirrors, seat, seatbelt and head-restraint. Driving off at the beginning of the test with any of these maladjusted would result in a fault.

Your instructor should have known this:-
    Where a 'Checks' fault is incurred in relation to the Doors, Mirrors, Seat, Seatbelt, or Head-Restraint adjustment as per the preamble requirement, it should be recorded opposite Rules/Checks and is inclusive of any Oral Test faults.

See:- Driving Fault - Marking Guidelines

By 1st January 2009, all driving instructors must have passed a theory test based on the Rules of the Road, the above Marking Guidelines and also:-
    Application of Standards for the Practical Test

Any proper instructor should already know all the above, have already passed the exam or at least be studying for the test.

Your instructor appears not to have read even the first line:- Fault Assessment (Pdf File)

You need luck to get a good instructor, you can then deal with anything that occurs in the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Well as far as I'm aware everything was adjusted fine. My mirrors were already adjusted as I needed them, as was my seat. Doors were closed properly, seatbelts all ok.

I didn't make a point of fiddling with my mirrors or my seat, because they were already in the correct positions. I looked at the mirrors and was satisfied they were ok. Moving them out of place and changing them back would have been ridiculous!

Anyway it was three weeks ago now, I've reapplied for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Failed today in Raheny!

Want to cry for a week im so disappointed!!!!!!

Got 12 grade 2's overall which i cant believe because i drove exactly like i drive with my instructor who said i was at passing level.

Clipped the curb during reverse around the corner and remember a gear and clutch fault but cant make sense of the rest!!!

back to the end of the queue i go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Failed in Waterford today at NCT test centre. Absolutely sickened, only got 5 grade 2 faults in total but cut out on roundabout up at walsh park in front of someone for my only red fault. Otherwise i def would have got it. Bring on round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robck1

Applied for my test way back in July and recieved a nice letter in October off SGS saying my test was a week later after the letter was posted, rang my driving instructor and booked a few lessons and a pre-test the morning of the test. Got 5 grade 2's on silly things like footbrake and clutch and a grade 3 on failing to stop at the top of a road immediatly after my turnabout. I was absolutly gutted and felt i shouldn't have got a grade 3 as it was at most a grade 2 mark (i brought my instructor to the place straight after the test and he agreed) but im 17 so it would have been lucky to pass.

I rebooked the test the minute i got home and i have it now in just over a weeks time, wont let another silly mistake catch me out this time. I havent told anyone im doing bar my family as i dont need the stress of everyone saying ill pass, i feel its a distraction. Anyways thats my story

Oh has anyone done their test at the new SGS centre on pottery road near deansgrange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

how if u failed today and reapplied today do you have another new test next week? thats quite quick to get another test..no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robck1

robck1 wrote: »
    Applied for my test way back in July and recieved a nice letter in October off SGS saying my test was a week later after the letter was posted . . . .

I rebooked the test the minute i got home and i have it now in just over a weeks time, wont let another silly mistake catch me out this time.

As you can see i did my test in october last and i now have my second attempt coming up in a weeks time. Five months went quick? Also i never used used the word "today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Failed theory test today. Got 32 so not too bad. I am from the UK so not too up on the different signs and the kmph. Oh well try again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Martly

Failed 2 weeks ago in Fonthill.Ive only been driving properly for 2 months so really was not ready,got 13 grade 2 faults,most of which were for observation. My tester was very nice and gave me a few tips after he told me the result..Ah well ive applied again

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I failed this morning in Deansgrange. Apparently my observation is useless, and I didn't look in my rearview all the way down Clonkeen Rd. I disputed this, but sure not much use really now! I got nine grade 2's, so close :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rain on wrote: »
    Failed again in Skib today
    Had my 3rd fail on Monday in Thurles
    bambam320 wrote: »
    Failed today in Dun Laoire
    Failed today in Raheny
    fergmcd wrote: »
    Failed in Waterford today
    DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Failed theory test today
    Martly wrote: »
    Failed 2 weeks ago in Fonthill
    jenizzle wrote: »
    I failed this morning in Deansgrange
    Hard luck folks - keep at it and learn from your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Failed in Dun Laoghaire today. Had one grade 3 fault. Going towards the test centre from Baker's Corner and the tester said turn right at the next junction. Was busy looking for a turn right before I realised, too late, that he meant the right fork and was stranded in the middle of the junction.
    Would have been fairly gutting to fail there, luckily, I apparently had 13 grade 2 faults.
    A few of them I don't know where they came from, a few he was very nit picky and the others are fair enough.
    Got 3 in reaction to hazards. Dunno why, it's not like I hit anything.
    Most boggling though is one I got for courtesy?? My instructor told me not to let anyone out or anything unless the tester says to do so. And I can't recall any such situation arising, any ideas?
    Most annoying thing was, I was nervous about reversing around corner, hillstart, turn about, etc. going into it but in the end they went fine and it was just stupid niggly things that caused me to fail.
    Have reapplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Sorry about that - that junction is a beyatch alright...like tunring back on yourself isnt it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Seifer
    Got 3 in reaction to hazards. Dunno why, it's not like I hit anything.

I had something similar last month and my instructor told me that this could be an overreaction as in braking too early etc. rather than being too near the hazard.

Better luck anyway with the next test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Failed in Kilkenny just now and an extremely unhappy about it. I found the tester to be one of the most ignorant people I ever encountered. I got into the car nice and calm and started driving 'as I normally would'. He kept randomly tutting and sighing which was so off putting that he had me shaking with nerves, which is where most of my faults arose from. I also asked him to clarify some directions. I asked 'Is it this left yes?' and his reply was 'Well yeah, where else would you go?' in the most sarcastic tone. I was furious and don't agree with a lot of his faults. I showed my instructor my faults and he agreed that they were unfair and he is shocked I failed. Have reapplied now as I know I'm a good driver, and much better than the tester gave me credit for! Can anyone tell me how to apply for a cancellation? I have applied online and didn't see an option to do this.

Hard luck ergonomics. You can apply at the District Court for a retest if you believe that the test was not carried out properly. If successful you will be assigned a test with a different instructor free of charge.

Don't think it's worth it Wishbone. I have no way or proving that the tester was tutting and sighing so I'll just put it in for a cancellation when I find out how to do it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

instructor

Made my day to catch you out on that one :D

Red Alert wrote: »
    Made my day to catch you out on that one :D
    :o:o:o:o:o:o The Shame! :o:o:o:o:o

Well spotted! I won't even edit it as a punishment to myself. I wouldn't mind but I gave up pointing it out to people as I seemed to be wasting my time. :D

ergonomics wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to apply for a cancellation? I have applied online and didn't see an option to do this.

I just rang up....they didn't even ask why. The lady also asked me if I had a previous test, because she wanted to assign me a different tester.

• Advertisement

Thanks Moonbaby. I'll ring up later!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

failed in Finglas SGS yesterday for hesitation on straights and roundabouts and also gear work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Hard luck slinter, re-apply asap and get back at it

First test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I failed in raheny 3 weeks ago on my first time.
    Got 1 grade1, 3 grade2's and 2 grade3's. I was extremely disappointed and feel that the tester did not help at all. He seemed very cranky and even when asking me the questions before we went out he seemed to be in a horrible bad mood.
    My test was 9am so don't know what put him in such bad form first thing in the morning.
    I re-applyed the next day and now have a test for the beginning of May in Clonshaugh SGS centre, am feeling positive about this and hopefully all my hard work of driving has paid off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Failed in Raheny today with 20 grade 2's! Which is just ridiculous. I had done pre-tests and was told I was fine and I was well able to pass. But the test seems to suggest I'm utterly awful.
    I'm so dissappointed. No idea how to improve on that. Already re-applied.

Failed in Raheny today with 20 grade 2's! Which is just ridiculous. I had done pre-tests and was told I was fine and I was well able to pass. But the test seems to suggest I'm utterly awful.
    I'm so dissappointed. No idea how to improve on that. Already re-applied.

Change your driving instructor, that one was obviously useless.
    Once someone actually points out where your going wrong....I'm sure you'll fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

SGS dun laoghaire..tester was lovely but I got a supervisor too so I wasn't going to get away with anything! Lost out on observation (looking left)/ anticipation of hazards and a roundabout.

probably going to change my instructor as he didn't pick-up on these things for my prior lesssons. Im not to disappointed as the lady who went before me reversed into a wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Change your driving instructor, that one was obviously useless.
    Once someone actually points out where your going wrong....I'm sure you'll fly it.

Well to be honest I think if I was driving that badly someone would have noticed and I've been driving around with quite a few passengers!

Well to be honest I think if I was driving that badly someone would have noticed and I've been driving around with quite a few passengers!

Well tbh I know nothing about nothing.
    It just seems to me that 20 faults can't be down to nerves and bad luck.

I know the people who I drive with wouldn't have a hope of passing a driving test tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

after 2 months expirience and 5 lessons, i failed my test, 10 grade 2 faults.

I do know i made at least 4 but i cant see 10. now, im not saying i deserved to pass, as if i failed i obviously didnt, however are some testers more lenient than others?

Advertisement