Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

shortstuff wrote: »

Other countries are way ahead of us on this and have-health department-sponsored breastfeeding promotion campaigns on tv and in print media. We need an Irish version of these (these ones wouldn't work, people would be complaining that they were 'dirty':

WARNING: the following videos contain images of bare breasts ;)

From Puerto Rica (Dar la Teta - give the breast):

From Bulgaria (the Gentlest Thing):

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Ladies

I'm not breastfeeding yet (pregnant only 28 weeks) however I like reading other opinions and experiences.
    Can you tell me, did anyone of you use these silicon breast pads for feeding? Are they any good? do they work for babies?

I'm very interested to hear anyone's experiences.
    thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

silicon breast pads for feeding

Do you mean nipple sheilds?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipple_shield_%28breastfeeding%29

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Thaedydal wrote: »

yeah, something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

bogtotty wrote: »
    Other countries are way ahead of us on this and have-health department-sponsored breastfeeding promotion campaigns on tv and in print media. We need an Irish version of these (these ones wouldn't work, people would be complaining that they were 'dirty':

I think those ads are awfully saccharine and earth-mothery tbh, hard to relate to and there is way too much flesh on display. And I say this as someone who is very pro-breastfeeding - I bfed my son for a year, am currently bfing my daughter and will continue till she is a year old, at least.

What we need to do in Ireland is to portray bfing as something done by normal women going about doing normal, everyday activities rather than long-haired, free-spirited hippy-types frolicking around half-naked with their kids. ;)

• Advertisement

ani_mal wrote: »
    yeah, something like that.

I used them when I got cracked nipples while breastfeeding both my kids,
    wouldn't have been able to keep going for as long as I did with out them.

Some people don't like them, they won't work for everyone, and they get a lot of stick from a lot of breastfeeding activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Have to say that swaddling only worked with my little girl for about 3 days. She absolutely hates being swaddeld now (2.5 weeks old). She sleeps with her hands up as if she's an extra in a bank robbery scene in a movie :D

What I have found is that even despite using simethicone (infacol brand) and 'winding' to relieve trapped wind, she is still windy, up to 1 hour post-feeding and so can initially relax for a while but then acts up because of the wind.

Once the wind is up, she calms down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady was breast fed, for 2.5 years after 6 months she would wake up 11 times a night to suckle ( what a nightmare) needless to say she slept in bed with me, couldnt kick her out the bed until she turned 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

if she's falling asleep while feeding if you rub her palm gently it will wake her up to keep feeding...works bottle feeding too.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Parenthood

Your baby is really too small to start worrying about bad habits. And, you're just getting used to dealing with a baby (again, if it's not your first).

Don't put so much preassure on yourself, remember the only only sleep method that can or should be used from such a young age is attachement parenting. All others, wheather the Babywhisperer, Gina Ford, Sears, No-cry-sleep-solution, and so on...are really only recommended from 4-6 month old.

Also...at 6 weeks your baby will go through a growth spurt and feed continiously for a few days. Prepare yourself mentally for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 bp1

hi little me,
    try breast feeding you baby lying down ,that way you get a cuddle, and her little feet relax on your tummy,and you melt when she looks up at you, you also get to hold her hand and relax yourself.
    i love this time with my daughter as it is just our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GeckoOnTheWall

[QUOTE/]I would forget about schedules, routines or habit-forming until your baby is about 6 months old and gets started on solids.Trust your instincts as every baby is different and most schedule-based parenting books are based on formula fed babies and simply don't apply to boobiebabies.

I really don't believe you can spoil an infant or give them bad habits. They don't know how to manipulate us until they are at least 9 months old.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the above. I read all possible books on parenting, and that didn't help me be a better mother in the early months. Rather opposite, caused more stress. Trust your motherly instincts and you will not fail.

Also, I found my PHN totally useless on the subject of breastfeeding. CUIDIU is the best for advice on breastfeeding and you can contact their representatives in your area any time really. Maybe also try breastfeeding group in your area.

simu wrote: »
    I think those ads are awfully saccharine and earth-mothery tbh, hard to relate to and there is way too much flesh on display. And I say this as someone who is very pro-breastfeeding - I bfed my son for a year, am currently bfing my daughter and will continue till she is a year old, at least.

What we need to do in Ireland is to portray bfing as something done by normal women going about doing normal, everyday activities rather than long-haired, free-spirited hippy-types frolicking around half-naked with their kids. ;)

I do agree with you - these ads are the only ones I could find and reflect the cultures in which they were made. There a some matter-of-fact ones in the UK, but they come across as a bit preachy. I would love if ads weren't needed at all, but that breastfeeding was portrayed as something completely normal in the media etc. Instead, whenever breastfeeding is touched on in soaps etc, it's dramatic and problematic, never just something the new mum gets on with and the new dad helps out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi all, Clara is 6 weeks tmw and I have been breastfeeding exlcusively to-date and plan to for a min 6 mths if at all possible if not longer.
    She sleeps very well at night and depending on when she has her last feed of the evening she will wake only once or twice before morning which is great, and I would normally only be up for an hour in total for feed, winding and getting her settled again.
    However last night she woke at 2, which was fine but fed for ages on both sides, but I felt she wasn't getting that much, then she took ages to get back to sleep. I was up till 4, 2 hours. Then she woke again at 6, so I was hanging. She fed, but I felt I hadn't had much of a chance to refill, and she seemed quite agitated and literally ripped at the nipples, so today they are seriously sore.
    I'm starting to worry about my supply being adequate. I know we are due a growth spurt around now, which is quite possibly what this is, but I am so sore after that one feed I expressed her feed this morning as I couldn't bear for her to go near me. Also I have lashed on the lanisoh cream and breast shells. I'll have to use shields for feeds to give the nipples a break.
    I have heard of a natural remedy to boost your supply which I am considering trying, has anyone any advice or tips that could help?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

fi1979 wrote: »
    Hi all, Clara is 6 weeks tmw and I have been breastfeeding exlcusively to-date and plan to for a min 6 mths if at all possible if not longer.
    She sleeps very well at night and depending on when she has her last feed of the evening she will wake only once or twice before morning which is great, and I would normally only be up for an hour in total for feed, winding and getting her settled again.
    However last night she woke at 2, which was fine but fed for ages on both sides, but I felt she wasn't getting that much, then she took ages to get back to sleep. I was up till 4, 2 hours. Then she woke again at 6, so I was hanging. She fed, but I felt I hadn't had much of a chance to refill, and she seemed quite agitated and literally ripped at the nipples, so today they are seriously sore.
    I'm starting to worry about my supply being adequate. I know we are due a growth spurt around now, which is quite possibly what this is, but I am so sore after that one feed I expressed her feed this morning as I couldn't bear for her to go near me. Also I have lashed on the lanisoh cream and breast shells. I'll have to use shields for feeds to give the nipples a break.
    I have heard of a natural remedy to boost your supply which I am considering trying, has anyone any advice or tips that could help?:(

hi fi1979
    congrats on baby Clara what a beautiful name

it sounds like a grostarting wth spurt , fennel tea or fenugreek is suposed to increase supply or try the quick switch, its done over 24 hours. every 2 hours feed for a few mins each side and you basically switch sides for the feed.. its time comsuming and best done on a day that you're not sore but it seriously boosts the supply!! LLL recommend it..:D happy feeding

Thanks cbyrd!
    To top it all off I was crying over split milk this afternoon. I had managed to pick myself up and had fed her some expressed milk. I had just done another session of expressing. A bit like your suggestion I had been expressing both sides about every 2 hours in hope of improving supply, but was just taking the bottle off the pump to stash in the fridge and I knocked it over. All of a sudden 3 floz became 1:(.
    In tears the three of us headed to tesco and bought some pre-prepared formula cartons, as I knew Clara would be yelling for a feed shortly and I had just mopped it off the floor.
    Well she guzzled 4 floz of the carton and was totally unperturbed by it. I feel quite inadequate by having to do this but had no choice. Should be back on my own milk next feed and hoping to get back to shields tonight.
    I will try the natural remedy and a bit of the 2 hourly feeds also. Thankfully Clara seems content so that is calming me also;)

Fair play to you for sticking it out fi1979, don't feel bad about using formula, the baby has to be fed, sounds like you are doing everything you can. Try and not let yourself get too stressed about it, it's hard not to at times but it can't be counter productive. If you end up a ball of stress it will have a knock on effect. You'll get there and if it doesn't work out then there is always forumla, cos really the best laid plans sometimes don't work out.
    That is surely one thing having kids has hammered home to me :)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Fair play to you for sticking it out fi1979, don't feel bad about using formula, the baby has to be fed, sounds like you are doing everything you can. Try and not let yourself get too stressed about it, it's hard not to at times but it can't be counter productive. If you end up a ball of stress it will have a knock on effect. You'll get there and if it doesn't work out then there is always forumla, cos really the best laid plans sometimes don't work out.
    That is surely one thing having kids has hammered home to me :)

Thanks Thaeydal! I really appreciate the support! Back on track today (with shields). I plan on getting in the contents of the "boob juice" to make sure I can meet Clara's demands, and boy can she be demanding!! lol

Hi fi1979,
    with the weather heating up, make sure you're drinking enough fluids yourself. Dehydration won't affect the amount of milk you make, but it will make you feel wrecked and could affect let down. You could also try having oatmeal for breakfast and drinking a cup or two of fennel tea - both are great for helping with supply. I've always found sleep to be the absolute best way to fill up - if you can at all, whenever there's a growth spurt, just take yourself and baby into bed, stock up with water, snacks and the remote controls (or laptop, or a good book) and just chill out until it passes and nap when your baby naps - have takeaway for dinner, forget about housework etc. This only really works if you've only the one baby and don't have a house of mad tearaways to contend with, but it really does work.

Re. empty boobs, keep in mind that they're never really empty. You constantly make milk, even while your baby is nursing, and the more the baby takes out, the more your breasts make. There is no need to wait for them to fill up between feeds, as they are constantly making more.
    At 6 weeks your supply will be evening out too, so you might not have that sensation of engorgement as much as before - this is not a sign of low supply, just that your body is better regulating supply according to your baby's needs.

There are some resources here if you think your supply really is becoming compromised:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

For sore nipples, the best thing I've found is to let them all hang out for a while - no bra, no top, just fresh air and some lansinoh. And if they're really bad, a couple of paracetemol won't do any major harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

I have a 7 week old baby and she only feeds about 2-3oz per feed 5 times a day so she is well below what she should be taking. I had her at her six week check and the Dr wants to monitor her weight for the next few weeks. I've been using Dr Brown's bottles with level 2 teat. I changed to level 2 teat when she was 2 weeks old as i felt she was getting tired on level 1. I'm not sure weather she is just not hungry or the teat is not suitable for her. She is a very content baby but will only take the bottle when she wants it. Can anyone suggest any bottles that maybe easier for baby to take or more soothing during feeding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

if your baby was not getting enough you would not be calling her content. are you small? is your partner? your baby just might not be a big gainer. if she is happy and taking what she wants leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Have you tried different bottles? Is your baby producing 6 or 7 wet nappies a day?

Are you breastfeeding/bottle feeding with expressed breastmilk or formula feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I don't think changing bottles will make much difference. Babies have tiny stomachs when born and are designed to take very small feeds regularly rather than bigger feeds less often. I would increase the number of feeds to try and replicate a normal feeding pattern (feeding 2-3 oz every 2 hours). If that works you can try dropping a feed and stretching out the feeds as your baby grows. You can do demand-feeding with formula, not just with breastfed babies - it might work for your baby. But as lynski said, if she seems content in every other way, don't force it. Hungry babies cry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I wouldn't change bottles either once she's not having trouble drinking from her current ones. The change in nipple can be very confusing for a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My older daughter was born with a cleft palate. As she couldn't suck properly the first few weeks, she had to be fed with a Mead Johnson bottle. These are squeezy plastic bottles, where you squeeze the milk into their mouth and they swallow.

If you like, I have a couple of bottles that were never used and I can send them onto you. But I would take note of the other replies first.

Is she being fed forumula, if so would you consider trying a different one?
    How does she finish a feed?
    Some babys just have enough to take the huger edge of them and will often then fall asleep, one trick to stop this was to open up thier grosuit half way and the air and change in temp would keep them awake to finish the feed, hard to make that work with the weather so warm but it might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Thank you all for your replies. I've left her as she is with the same bottles and she is now taking 4-5oz per feed. It seems like she was happy with 2-3oz and is now going through a growth spurt so things seem to have sorted. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hey Guys,
    Just have a newborn and he sleeps for maybe 2/3 hours then it takes an hour or so to change/feed & burp and then another 2/3 hours sleep. I know this is normal but i'm sooo tired. With time does he feed quicker and then sleep longer? When should i look forward to this happening??
    Thanks a new mommy
    xoxod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

After about 4 - 6 weeks I think. Big fan of co-sleeping me - it's how I survived. Try lying on your side in the middle of the bed with the baby beside your breast. You can easily nap while he feeds and they love the close body contact.

They don't need to be changed so often as every 2-3 hours.
    Also I found that with breastfeeding sometimes my baby didn't poop for as much as 6 days :D So if that happens don't worry he is absorbing everything cause it's 100% natural. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Definitely agree with co-sleeping being the way to go, that and feeding lying down. In the early stages you really have to sleep when the baby sleeps, forget about anything else like cooking cleaning etc. It's up to your other half to make dinner, put on a wash and so on until week 6. After that, things get easier. I found the first growth spurts the hardest, it's like you are feeding every 20 mins at times and everything was so sore that sleep was hard to come by. It's good to keep in mind that each spurt sees an increase in the amount the baby can take in, which means they can go longer between feeds. Have to say that 3 hours between feeds is pretty good for a newborn. My lad was fairly erratic (3 hours here, 2 hours there) until his 3 month growth spurt, then like magic he started to sleep for 6 hours at night. Having a loose routine does help, like going for a walk at the same time every day. Try to fix a time for a walk in the early afternoon that suits you once you're back to normal and tick to it - regular doses of sunlight in the early afternoon are supposed to help with sleeping at night.
    And don't fuss too much with nappies - as long as you use lots of vaseline and just water and cotton wool to clean with at the start, nappy rash shouldn't be a problem. I never really bothered too much with burping at night either, never, ever wake a sleeping baby was my mantra!

Advertisement