Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Gottla love stinky veggie poops... Not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm so delighted we've a weaning thread now. How fast is the past few months after flying? doesn't seem so long since we were all moaning ( a bit!!) about our pregnancies yet now our little people are moving to solids :pac:

Well I've tried Rose a few times on solids but its just not happening as yet.

I did try her at 4 months old on the rice, then on organic porridge and seperately some mashed carrot.
    Disaster! She was in agony with cramps, pulling her little knee's up to her chest, full of wind & nasty nappies. After 3 days I stopped as she was sleeping less and in terrible form.
    I left it a month & tried again, same result (this time I tried banana and potato another day)
    I tried her a third time a week later and when she was in nursery the next day her minder said she had terrible cramps all day.

The mad thing is she takes 6 fairly full bottles a day (5/6 ozs) & is nearly climbing into my mouth every time I eat! She grabs for food when I'm eating (then again everythings going into her mouth at the moment so nothing new there :o)

I know every baby develops at a different pace to others, but she seems to be ready for solids & when I do give her little bits of finger food she's in her element!
    Shes 6 calender months tomorrow but 26 weeks olds so 6.5 months to me if that makes any sense? :o
    I'll persevere with the odd few bits of finger food (if nothing it buys us some peace when we're having our dinner :o;)) & will try more puree fruit/veg when she's 7 months old.

She's great at chewing/swallowing the food & very good head control, its just when it hits her tummy that the problem develops.
    If she still isn't able for solids by 7 months I might just mention it to my GP for a bit of peace of mind.

In every other respect she's fine, sleeps all night, drinks plenty so can't complain :)

I know she's not on solids yet but I feel your pain about the smelly nappies.
    I had her on Aptimil which gave her constant runny yellow nappies (sorry tmi!), but I changed her to SMA a few weeks ago & OMG the nappies! They're seriously noxious! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I'm so delighted we've a weaning thread now. How fast is the past few months after flying? doesn't seem so long since we were all moaning ( a bit!!) about our pregnancies yet now our little people are moving to solids :pac:

Well I've tried Rose a few times on solids but its just not happening as yet.

I did try her at 4 months old on the rice, then on organic porridge and seperately some mashed carrot.
    Disaster! She was in agony with cramps, pulling her little knee's up to her chest, full of wind & nasty nappies. After 3 days I stopped as she was sleeping less and in terrible form.
    I left it a month & tried again, same result (this time I tried banana and potato another day)
    I tried her a third time a week later and when she was in nursery the next day her minder said she had terrible cramps all day.

The mad thing is she takes 6 fairly full bottles a day (5/6 ozs) & is nearly climbing into my mouth every time I eat! She grabs for food when I'm eating (then again everythings going into her mouth at the moment so nothing new there :o)

I know every baby develops at a different pace to others, but she seems to be ready for solids & when I do give her little bits of finger food she's in her element!
    Shes 6 calender months tomorrow but 26 weeks olds so 6.5 months to me if that makes any sense? :o
    I'll persevere with the odd few bits of finger food (if nothing it buys us some peace when we're having our dinner :o;)) & will try more puree fruit/veg when she's 7 months old.

She's great at chewing/swallowing the food & very good head control, its just when it hits her tummy that the problem develops.
    If she still isn't able for solids by 7 months I might just mention it to my GP for a bit of peace of mind.

In every other respect she's fine, sleeps all night, drinks plenty so can't complain :)

I know she's not on solids yet but I feel your pain about the smelly nappies.
    I had her on Aptimil which gave her constant runny yellow nappies (sorry tmi!), but I changed her to SMA a few weeks ago & OMG the nappies! They're seriously noxious! :eek:

Would you not try baby lead weaning, as far as I no instead of giving the veg's puree you just chop the veg and give it as finger food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

i agree with bulmersgal - looks like Rose will get on great with baby led weaning :-)
    my little guy loves it.

Thanks bulmersgal :) I've been gingerly trying her on the baby led weaning. I'm not giving her solids every day as when I did that (even with nibbly finger foods) she still had an upset tummy.

We were out for a meal earlier in the week so gave her bits from our dinner (tomato/lettuce/bread roll) and she loved it!
    She's a big fan of buttery toast too, so ebmma I think you're right, this seems to be the way to go :)

• Advertisement

to tell you the truth Robin isn't getting solids everyday either. we're frantically trying to paint he house and get packed to move to NI so I don't really have energy and space. But what he's getting he really likes...So hopefully when I start properly (in a week or so) it'll keep going well.
    I highly recommend Baby led weaning book by Gill Rapley - great read to put your mind at ease.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think I'll have to be the same with my Saoirse! I gave her cheese (she is six months) and a bit of gluten free rusk over the past few days and she gums the hell out of them, but with a spoon she takes a couple of spoonfuls and then puts her thumb firmly in her mouth as if to say "nah nah no morreeee"

Elisha the opposite, she mills the puree anything you give her she eats and will eat a whole 125g of food in one sitting and show no sign of stopping. Tried give her strip of toast today to see and it was the only thing she didn't put in her mouth. I was showing her and she finally put it in and was just confused

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

James is back on the finger food. I've started him on rice cakes and he's getting on great with them. :)

As well as that I gave him his first pasta the day before yesterday (the teeny pasta shells) and had no problem. So pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Well Ben will be 8 months on tuesday (where's time gone??) we started to wean him at 4 and a half months on advice from the phn and the pediatrician because of his reflux and it did not go well..

We tried the baby rice and although he loved it, it was giving him pains in his tummy, so i left it til he was 6 and a half months.

So we tried again with baby rice and then moved on within a week to pureéd sweet potato, butternut squash and carrot, then added a bit of chicken and some peas. he was having mashed food about 3 weeks later.

He has jars too he loves the heinz ones and the lumps aren't a problem for him thank god.. and where would we be without the little stars jelly pots!!:) he sits with his mouth open til i show him the empty pot and then he laughs!!

He LOVES toast but i don't give it into his hand cos he just mushes it up. I butter it with the dairy free spread. He loves peas not mashed just off my plate and it's funny cos it's one of the things i craved when i was pregnant,

In the evenings he has the milupa semolina and honey or fruity rice pudding and i chop up some pear and peach or banana into it or stewed apple or pear and he loves it,
    I tend not to give him too much of our dinners just yet, we like spicy and i don't think it would do him any good yet, but when we have potato and veg he'd have tis
    He only has 2 7oz bottles now, but he will drink water from a glass but not from a bottle or sippy cup, and he loves juice from the cup but not milk... he's a real creature of habit...
    and he's got 2 lovely SHARP teeth:eek:;)

• Advertisement

I've tried giving James well cooked eggs but he doesn't seem to like the texture. I've tried a boiled egg blended, I've tried scramble. Anyone have any ideas that might make him like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Update:

Well we've been feeeding my daughter blended carrot, parsnip, butternut squash, apple and pear (according to Annabelle KArmell's plan) and she has wolfed down everything she's been given.

Until this morning.

Today was mashed banana. We gave her a mouthful and for the first time since she has been given something to eat, she put on a face and mulled over it for a few seconds before spitting it out. After a few attempts there was no joy so we mixed it with baby rice to see if that would help (she loves baby rice). No joy again, total refusal.

Now I know that humans are not naturally supposed to like bananas (evolutionarily it appeals to fruit bats, not humans or other primates) but I have seen babies tuck into banana.

Anyone else have any difficulty with getting your baby to eat bananas?

Banana is super sweet.

Leave it a week or so and try again. They might hate something today and love it next week and vice versa.

did you heat it slightly? Elisha will eat somethings cold but most food she likes warm. As Das Kitty said try next week. Elisha will eat everything but finds apples a bit sour so only give them every few days and after a mouthful or 2 she'll wolf it down

We didn't heat the banana, might try that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are people who just are genetically pre disposed to not like bananna, it's like not liking cucumbers. My Dad and some of my siblings just dont' like it and one of my nieces is the same while her sister loves them. Could just be that to your daugher it tastes yucky!

babies are people too:D they are allowed not to like/want some foods imo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Anyone else have any difficulty with getting your baby to eat bananas?

This is how we got on with bananas;
    m_SquirtAugust2010027.jpg
    :D:D

My little lady is finally managing solids yay!
    I decided after reading this thread that I'd try once more on the solids & we had success.

I mashed up half a farleys rusk with some boiling water and fresh peach, she loved it! For once she didn't end up with cramps in her tummy!
    Amazing how the small things can make you so happy when they're this age!

She had the same again this evening & I'll try it a third time tomorrow evening before moving on to sweet potatoes.

Has anyone tried the Annabel Karmel recipes? I remember there was a few of them in the Tescoes baby & toddler magazine and they sounded tasty, I'm tempted to get the book for inspiration. I wouldn't be the most imaginative in the kitchen :o

I got the book on Amazon, I've made about 6 different dinners for the freezer and they're actually gorgeous. I made the white fish in cheese sauce (my fave), as well as the salmon and tomatoes, liver, beef stew, chicken and sweet potato and chicken with apricots (his fave). Any he didn't like at first I put it with mash potato and some milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

This is how we got on with bananas;
    m_SquirtAugust2010027.jpg

Cap, that is the funniest thing I've seen in ages, I nearly woke the small fella laughing:D

• Advertisement

it kinda says exactly what she thinks of banana's :D

Now Toast, that's a different story altogether, she's all smiles for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend a good souce of info on weaning, books or websites. Anything that I can use for reference would be great; info on the quantities that should be given at each stage, when to progress from one meal to two and three etc. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth with this weaning lark!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

fi1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend a good souce of info on weaning, books or websites. Anything that I can use for reference would be great; info on the quantities that should be given at each stage, when to progress from one meal to two and three etc. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth with this weaning lark!!:confused:

Others have mentioned it already in this thread, but the Anabel Karmel book 'Feeding your baby & Toddler' (or a title to that effect) is brilliant. The recipes are fab and there are weekly plans in the back for different stages of childhood, from kids aged 6 months to school age. It's definitely the best I've come across (and there's a new edition just out).

If you're interested in baby-led weaning, you can adapt some of the recipes to become finger foods - best of both worlds. If you don't know about baby led weaning, you'll find nearly everything you need to know on the internet - it's common sense really - although some parents like the security of the book by Gill Rapley. If you're going to buy just one though, go with Anabel Karmel. She rocks.

Edit: I probably need to get out more if Anabel Karmel is all it takes to rock my world...

Don't buy the book capri, I have it. If you PM me your address I'll post it to you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hey ladies, can I join in?

The wee buck is 5 months (23 weeks) old and I've just started trying him on grown-up grub. Now, I can see the blw logic, but I'm a bit of a wuss (choking:eek:) so I just mashed (didn't purée) some carrot, plonked him in his bumbo and had no bother with it. He opened his mouth when he saw the spoon and took a few spoons of it, no gagging or messing.

However, I do have a question, a gross one - when I changed him this morning, he had a fairly usual looking nappy (poo-splosions I call them), but there were bits of carrot in it i.e. it came out pretty much the same way it went in! Is this normal? Is he not digesting it? Should he be? Have I started him too early?

And sh*te-related feedback appreciated:o

deemark wrote: »
    Hey ladies, can I join in?

The wee buck is 5 months (23 weeks) old and I've just started trying him on grown-up grub. Now, I can see the blw logic, but I'm a bit of a wuss (choking:eek:) so I just mashed (didn't purée) some carrot, plonked him in his bumbo and had no bother with it. He opened his mouth when he saw the spoon and took a few spoons of it, no gagging or messing.

However, I do have a question, a gross one - when I changed him this morning, he had a fairly usual looking nappy (poo-splosions I call them), but there were bits of carrot in it i.e. it came out pretty much the same way it went in! Is this normal? Is he not digesting it? Should he be? Have I started him too early?

And sh*te-related feedback appreciated:o

Totally normal. We often see peas, carrots etc in the nappies.

Totally normal as Das Kitty said! We even had pepper once...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hahahaha. This is gas. :D

We've seen all sorts too. :D

Yup, broccoli makes pooh look green and grainy, nice! :D

Another question, over the past two-three weeks or so our little girl (6 months old) has developed her gag reflex and on occasion has choked slightly on mashed food. Sometimes the choking has actually caused her to be sick :o So we're making sure to eliminate any chunks of food that would be too big for her to handle.

However, in that time she's no longer opening her mouth so wide for food and it's difficult to get even a medium sized spoonful into her. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Maybe she doesn't like it or isn't hungry? Is she just after her bottle? Our lad does this sometimes messing but the rule is that he sees the spoon and if his mouth doesn't open properly it's not coming near him.

He went through a phase of gagging and puking too. We blended his food again but kept trying him every few days on toast or rice cake. It took about 2 weeks to settle down. He eats everything now, chews for ages.

Advertisement