Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

• 17-09-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Back when we discussed a possible Kurt Cobain biopic, allanb49 thought "A Freddie Mercury biopic would be far better". Well, it's going to happen, according to Rolling Stone magazine. See if you can guess who's up to play Freddie ...
    Sacha Baron Cohen, of course
    !

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It seems strange that they wouldn't depict his final few years, they must just be focusing on the ultimate showman that was Freddie Mercury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

It'll end on a freezeframe of queen on stage & there'll be a flashcard giving a brief synopsis of the rest of his life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As long as they don't get SBC to sing. He could well be a great singer in his own right, but Freddie Mercury is an impossible act to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

He wouldnt have a hope in hell of reproducing Freddie's vocals but he is quite good at getting into character so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.

Aye, fair play to the likes of Joaquin Phoenix and Jamie Foxx but Freddie Mercury is a whole different level vocally to Johnny Cash and Ray Charles, there's no point in Sacha trying to replicate such sensational vocals.

Note I'm not insulting Cash or Charles, I love them both. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Perfect casting choice tbh. would have no problem with them overdubbing SBC with Mercury's vocals as nobody can sing like him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

well, a Freddie Mercury biopic was hardly surprising.

Dunno bout the singing, though, as nobody can match the master. I'm not totally opposed to SBC been cast either as it sounds like it he's been in talks for the part for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I look forward to this film with huge trepidation.

I'm a big Queen fan and I desperately hope that it does justice to Freddie and the rest of Queen.

In relation to the singing, they would have to dub the songs as nobody could sing a Queen song like Freddie. The Freddie Mercury Memorial Concert in Wembley in 1992 proved that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

chughes wrote: »
    In relation to the singing, they would have to dub the songs as nobody could sing a Queen song like Freddie. The Freddie Mercury Memorial Concert in Wembley in 1992 proved that point.

True in most cases but I thought Seal did an awesome job singing "Who wants to live forever"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj2xE2mmxCg

Faith+1 wrote: »
    True in most cases but I thought Seal did an awesome job singing "Who wants to live forever"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj2xE2mmxCg

I accept your point in this case but that was just one song. I wonder how Seal would get on with say, Hammer To Fall.

I do remember watching that concert and the only other singer that impressed me that day was George Michael.

I saw Queen and Paul Rogers in the Point the last time they played there and Paul Rogers was quite good but, in fairness, he wasn't trying to do the songs like Freddie.

• Advertisement

I like Annie Lennox but jesus was it painful listening to her trying to do Freddie's part of Under Pressure. Still a masterclass though in comparison to Jedward. :rolleyes: :p

I've just been reading on the Queen website that Peter Morgan is currently working on the script of the as yet untitled film.

I wonder could we come up with some suggestions for a name for the film ?

No slagging off names please. Only genuine titles that actually could be used should be posted here.

An obvious one is We Will Rock You but as that's the name of the stage show, it probably can't be used.

How about "Freddie Mercury - A Kind of Magic"

Who wants to live forever?

or

The best days of our lives.

They might be a bit long winded though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Did Cohen do his own singing in Sweeney Todd? I've read in some places that he did and in others that he didn't. If the former then he could certainly handle this singing role by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

In terms of singing I think Freddie Nelson could do a darn good job:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is an interesting choice but he could pull it off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I've just been reading on the Queen website that Peter Morgan is currently working on the script of the as yet untitled film.

I wonder could we come up with some suggestions for a name for the film?

more than likely it will be called "lover of life, singer of songs"

Freddie-Mercury-The-Very-Best-Of-369938.jpg

i think this will be brilliant, i am a HUGE Queen and Freddie fan so i will definatley be seeing this. SBC is a good choice as he is a superb character actor and there is no bigger character than the late, great freddie mercury!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Morgan has spoken to Rolling Stone magazine about the movie, here: "I just looked at the period-- It's sort of where he rejects [the other members of Queen] and comes back to them. It's sort of like a family movie. It's sort of like 'I hate my family, I want to be independent, and then I come back.'"

Morgan has been twice nominated for Academy Awards,*for Frost/Nixon and ... The Queen. Coincidence?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

My money's on "The Great Pretender" for a title.

Huge Queen fan. Definitely think SBC can pull off the physical impersonation. Looking forward to seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

00112984 wrote: »
    My money's on "The Great Pretender" for a title.

Huge Queen fan. Definitely think SBC can pull off the physical impersonation. Looking forward to seeing this.

I thought “The Show Must Go On” would work but The Great Pretender is perfect

As soon as I read this thread I thought of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTe7D16pAYE 1 min 45

• Advertisement

As long as they don't call it Body Language I'm happy! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

bnt wrote: »
    Back when we discussed a possible Kurt Cobain biopic, allanb49 thought "A Freddie Mercury biopic would be far better". Well, it's going to happen, according to Rolling Stone magazine. See if you can guess who's up to play Freddie ...
    Sacha Baron Cohen, of course
    !

Woohoo name checked, saw this a while ago but didn't think to post it. SBC i'd say will do it well. Hopefully they focus on the larger than life aspects

- Kenny Everett show
    - Midgets with coke at his 40th
    - Him pinning bono against a wall at live aid and saying in a really camp voice we have decided we like you alot.
    - Wonder will it go into the relationship with his mother, he was very close to her
    - Will it focus on his love life?
    - As for names for the movie, has to be "The Great Pretender"

always makes me sad when i see colour pictures of him from shoots of i'm going slightly mad and days of our lives.

reports are saying the movie will focus on the early 80s so maybe up to live aid or the magic tour in 86. By that time he knew he hadn't long left and it's when he was performing at his best.

Side note - Fat Bottomed Girls was released 32 years ago yesterday. I was -7 years old :P

allanb49 wrote: »
    Side note - Fat Bottomed Girls was released 32 years ago yesterday. I was -7 years old :P

Wow you're old! :eek:

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Wow you're old! :eek:

Ripe old age of 25 and listening to queen since i was 7 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So who to play the rest of Queen - Brian May, John Deacon and Roger Taylor ????????

John Deacon - Anthony Daniels :P

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Kevin Bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So who to play the rest of Queen - Brian May, John Deacon and Roger Taylor ????????

I always thought Lars Ulrich looked like a young Roger Taylor...and Martin Platt from Corrie was a ringer for Deacon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

D-FENS wrote: »
    I always thought Lars Ulrich looked like a young Roger Taylor...and Martin Platt from Corrie was a ringer for Deacon :D

Seriously Lars Ulrich, he doesn't have to be a drummer to play the part

ulrichvskeaton.jpg&t=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i think cillian murphy could pull off a young brian may

Advertisement