Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sleepy wrote: »
    It really does seem like they're going to waste the opportunity to do something interesting with this in favour of going with a sanitised puff piece doesn't it?
    Well, Cohen says he left the project after clashing with one of the members of Queen over the film's direction:
    A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’
    And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’
    I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Sacha Baron Cohen gave some interesting insights into his disagreements with the band on Howard Stern's show.

Apparently they wanted Freddie to die halfway through the film and for the remaining time to focus on how the band rises through the adversity of losing their singer. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I know this is an old thread but its a subject i have given thought to, I believe Eric Bana should be cast as Freddie. I think he would even be better than Baron Cohen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Sacha Baron Cohen gave some interesting insights into his disagreements with the band on Howard Stern's show.

Apparently they wanted Freddie to die halfway through the film and for the remaining time to focus on how the band rises through the adversity of losing their singer. Christ.

Sounds more fitting of a movie about Queen, not so much Freddie though. Can't say I blame Cohen if that indeed is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If its going to be a safe movie then it should not be done. Brian May tried to warn Mercury about his sexual lifestyle at one point as he had read about Aids and Freddie penned this response

Not true as this song was written in 1979 and AIDS was first discovered in America in 1981.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I adore Queen, but it ended when Freddie died.

Queen lasted about 20 years as a band, so making a movie where half of it is about what happened afterwards is daft and not what the fans want to see.

I'm afraid Cohen is right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Had to be Roger Taylor who said that.

You cannot have a sanitized film about Freddie Mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

It's sad. It would make for one epic movie in the right hands.

Agree about Roger. He's mega protective about Freddie which is understandable but come on... The cabaret they've done the last 20 years ain't doing much for his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

This would be incredible , made my Tuesday :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't understand why Cohen still didn't do it, every other movie he's been the star of has been a heap of sh!te.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why Cohen still didn't do it, every other movie he's been the star of has been a heap of sh!te.

Cohen never struck me as desperate and he seems smart enough. Like if he wanted he could be the British Sandler and make hay while making **** every year.

So I'd say he knew, under the right conditions, playing Freddy Mercury could be nearly oscar worthy. But under the wrong conditions, it would do more harm than good to his career and duly walked away. Just look at Kutcher playing Steve Jobs as an illustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,803 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bryan Singer to direct Mr. Robot actor Rami Malek the latest rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

He could work as an earlier Freddie but not as a Wembley Mercury.

Not a big Queen fan but by god that concert was a master class in how to do it. He had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. A genuine showman and a fantastic singer. Never seen any interviews with him but just an instantly likeable character. Amazing charisma.

Re the Cohen thing, Looks wise it would be a match. That doesn't translate to a good movie though. Dunno would he have the chops for it.

Cohen would have been a revelation, sad they couldn't work it out. Freddy's story is one of the last that shoukd be sterilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Agree with a story that should be told warts and all. As regards Cohen I wouldn't say he WOULD have been a revelation. He might have been but similar looking doesn't necessarily translate into a performance.

I'd rather see Freddie played convincley by someone whos not the image of him than someone who looks like him poorly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think Malek or Singer are right for this. Based on what I've seen him in, Malek doesn't have the charisma. And Singer seems washed up these days.

Cohen would have been awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Bryan Singer??? That's a strange one.

Why?

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Eric Bana would be great as Fred.

Cohen would have been awesome.

Whenever it comes out it could be a disaster. Given what happened with Cohen and Brian/Roger it sounds like a big chunk of it will be about them overcoming the loss. Plus when you think of the shíte they've done in recent years it doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder who'll play his irish boyfriend??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone catch the docu-drama on channel 5 the other night?

is that the biopic that was rumoured?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    anyone catch the docu-drama on channel 5 the other night?

is that the biopic that was rumoured?

Wait what? :eek:

It got panned.

If production values are anything to go by then, well......... :p

freddie-mercury-doc-ch5-3.jpg?w=620&h=413&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I thought the docudrama thing wasn't bad. The fella playing Freddie was pretty good despite the dodgy tash. The Brian May wig was laughable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I caught the end of it and whatever faults in it were...how shall I say...it was just so damn upsetting the way he spent his final weeks/days that the story just grips you regardless of any production issues.

I thought the guy playing Freddie was quite good actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,803 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 37,710 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here's that channel 5 doc

https://youtu.be/ssgapPLhWbY

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It's just going from bad to worse. :( He's shocking.

By the numbers casting and very much a vanity one. You can tell just how much May and co have their finger on the pulse on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,710 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imo Sasha Baron Cohen would of been good in the role as Freddie. He's looks like him and can sing too

• Advertisement

Rami Malek is meant to have talent vocally also but yeah Cohen would have been best for a no holds barred biopic on Mercury.

Advertisement