Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Shame, rightly or wrongly May and Taylor were very protective of this production. I'd say they're sick right now.

Maybe Joss Whedon can sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Singer is a scumbag

Apparently it's a lot worse than thought; he had been warned by a tonne of high-level studio execs that they wouldn't take any of his sh1t. He had seemingly taken absence during the filming of Apocalypse and, I guess, the studio was forced to carry through with their threats when the same stuff happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Disappointing. I wonder was filming nearly finished? Hopefully the final film will still be Singer's vision and not some hacked together studio version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In a statement, Singer claims he asked for time off to care for a gravely ill parent, but the studio responded by firing him. He says he had every intention of returning to finish the film, which he describes as a passion project that had only 3 weeks of shooting remaining. He admits he had differences with Malek but they had been resolved.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-claims-fox-refused-allow-him-care-gravely-ill-parent-1064288

• Advertisement

To be fair if Singer really had been acting the maggot as recent as Apocalypse they should have never considered him in the first place.

TBH many directors are notoriously bad to work with --- David O. Russell probably being one of the best examples. And yet they still get work. Guess Singer is just burning the wrong bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Disappointing. I wonder was filming nearly finished? Hopefully the final film will still be Singer's vision and not some hacked together studio version.

Three weeks of shooting left.

The new director will have to finish that plus there is the reshoots and post.

No, it won't be Singer's vision because he is gone.

Apparently it's a lot worse than thought; he had been warned by a tonne of high-level studio execs that they wouldn't take any of his sh1t. He had seemingly taken absence during the filming of Apocalypse and, I guess, the studio was forced to carry through with their threats when the same stuff happened.

He apparently did it on Superman Returns too.

Does anyone know the cause?

And is there any info on what the clashes with Malek were about? Singer apparently had a major spat with Tom Holland too.

Who would get into a to do with that kid? he is ridiculously pleasant.

Er

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And is there any info on what the clashes with Malek were about? Singer apparently had a major spat with Tom Holland too.

I'm pretty sure that was Tom Hollander, not Tom Holland/Spider-man.

I'm pretty sure that was Tom Hollander, not Tom Holland/Spider-man.

Well that makes a lot more sense. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

happy that there getting a director in too finish it off cause im looking forward to seeing the movie

after seeing Queen with AL a few weeks ago in Dublin im even more pumped

I think Malek was just getting fed up with not having a director present to helm. It makes sense too -- this movie is likely Malek's big break into ultra stardom. So having an absent director would damage that massively.

What a disaster! It's nearly finished but I wonder if they'll get someone to reshoot enough of it that they can take Singer's name off? Assuming that's possible under DGA rules.

I recall it being mentioned that Lucasfilm had fired Lord & Miller from the Han Solo movie just in time to be allowed remove their director credit and give it to their replace and I think there was three months of shooting left.

So I think Bryan Singer will still get sole directing credit unless he choose to remove his name - assuming he allowed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I recall it being mentioned that Lucasfilm had fired Lord & Miller from the Han Solo movie just in time to be allowed remove their director credit and give it to their replace and I think there was three months of shooting left.

3 1/2 weeks were left when they got sacked. Ron Howard spent more time than that filming and a few actors had to leave the production/have their parts cut as they couldn't fulfil their role due to other commitments. Ron will no doubt end up having filmed the majority of the film in reshoots as a result and will have director credit.

Dexter Fletcher going to be directing the remainder of the film, interesting choice it must be said. I did like Wild Bill and Eddie the Eagle so hopefully this is his move to bigger things

Dexter Fletcher going to be directing the remainder of the film, interesting choice it must be said. I did like Wild Bill and Eddie the Eagle so hopefully this is his move to bigger things

Probably a great choice. And he has prior musical experience - I haven't seen it, but I believe Sunshine on Leith was thoroughly lovely.

3 1/2 weeks were left when they got sacked. Ron Howard spent more time than that filming and a few actors had to leave the production/have their parts cut as they couldn't fulfil their role due to other commitments. Ron will no doubt end up having filmed the majority of the film in reshoots as a result and will have director credit.

My old man memory is worse than I thought. :P 3 weeks is something that should have stuck with me.

And, I was certain that it was mentioned in several reports that that there would be I'm probably wrong there too because Empire says it isn't known who will get the credit on the Queen film either.

at least it's going to be complete

I really hope it's good as this was years in the making

hopefully a Kurt Cobain biopic follows someday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    at least it's going to be complete

I really hope it's good as this was years in the making

hopefully a Kurt Cobain biopic follows someday

Is Last Days by Gus Van Sant based on Kurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Last Days by Gus Van Sant based on Kurt?

Based on but not actually Kurt, yeah. I'm a massive Nirvana fan but won't even bring myself to watch that muck.

Based on but not actually Kurt, yeah. I'm a massive Nirvana fan but won't even bring myself to watch that muck.

yeah heard it wasant that great

anyone see the unofficial Morrissey biopic (England is mine) that came out this year ??? it was average and only focused on his early days pre smiths

First trailer:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

First trailer:

Looks good.. Was that Aidan Gillen i spotted?

thebull85 wrote: »
    Looks good.. Was that Aidan Gillen i spotted?

Yeah, i think he's playing one of their managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I've had low expectations for this but that trailer looks good! The dude playing May is uncannily like him! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yeah, i think he's playing one of their managers.

Gotta be playing Norman Sheffield. Gillen would fit the bill perfectly. :D

Edit: Just checked, he's playing John Reid strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

It's lost on me how Aidan Gillen gets work.

• Advertisement

Gotta be playing Norman Sheffield. Gillen would fit the bill perfectly. :D

Edit: Just checked, he's playing John Reid strangely enough.

John Reid meant to be a good skin? Would be nice to see Gillen play against type. :pac:

Looks promising anyway with. Either that or I wise hoodwinked by the transition of the musical numbers.

Advertisement