Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation 4 to be released in 2012?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Sony will have Taiwan-based partners begin production of PlayStation 4 (PS4) featuring body movement-based control like Kinect at the end of 2011 for launch in 2012, according to Taiwan-based component makers.

Foxconn and Pegatron Technology, assemblers of PS3, will undertake assembly of PS4 as well, the sources pointed out. The planned shipment volume of PS4 in 2012 is at least 20 million units, the sources indicated.

(via reconrepublic.com)

Is it time for the next generation?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

cmccarra wrote: »
    Is it time for the next generation?

Absolutely not, and it's not going to happen anytime soon either. That report is just ridiculous, it' all just a rumour, and here

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

Yeh it's hard to see the credibility of the source digitimes.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Maybe they just forgot to mention it at E3? Total horsepoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

20 million in under a year? OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

even if it was officaly to be released in 2012 you probably wouldnt see it till 2018 beacuse they couldnt get the rain correct :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not+again.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I doubt we will see a new PlayStation that soon to be honest. I reckon 2013 at the earliest, and maybe even 2014 for a new PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't think it'll be announced until 2013 and dependant on when it's announce would be aimed for a holiday release in 2013 or 2014.

If the wii u turns out to be better than expected or MS try to get a year lead again i would think that would speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Didn't Sony say they weren't going to be pumping anything near the developmental budget of the PS3 into the next PS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

look at the difference between inFAMOUS 1&2. Developers are just getting the hang of this gen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

wes wrote: »
    I doubt we will see a new PlayStation that soon to be honest. I reckon 2013 at the earliest, and maybe even 2014 for a new PlayStation.

I doubt we'll even officially hear anything til then nevermind see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Definitely not true.. I'm not expecting a next gen console until 2014 or 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Im expecting a release 2013 but ps3 i reckon will still be around aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Im expecting a release 2013 but ps3 i reckon will still be around aswell

Not the ones from today anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Weren't Sony talking about the PS3 having a ten year lifespan (and they certainly weren't talking about individual machines lasting that long)?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Weren't Sony talking about the PS3 having a ten year lifespan (and they certainly weren't talking about individual machines lasting that long)?

Yeah but that doesn't mean 10 years until the next console is out. The PS2 was out in 2000 and it's lifespan went beyond the date that the PS3 came out. The overlap between consoles still counts in its lifespan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

PS1 1995
    PS2 2000
    PS3 2006
    PS4 ????

With a rumour of a console price cut, xbox new console next year supposly aswell nintendo wii u , dont write it off , all bout this companies fighting to get a foot hold in first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

PS1 1995
    PS2 2000
    PS3 2006
    PS4 ????

With a rumour of a console price cut, xbox new console next year supposly aswell nintendo wii u , dont write it off , all bout this companies fighting to get a foot hold in first

There won't be a new Xbox out next year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I wouldn't say the PS4 will be released next year, probably the year after though.

Developer Gearbox were quoted saying the Wii U is a cleverly positioned 'stop gap' between this generation and the next generation of consoles

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-07-wii-u-a-really-cool-stop-gap-gearbox

I'd say the announcement of the Wii U has sped up the end of this gen as although typically a new Playstation is released every 5/6 years (by previous standards), I'd imagine both Sony and Microsoft would probably have squeezed out at least another 2 before announcing their successors.

The only way I see a new Playstation being announced/released next year is if solid rumors about the next Xbox surface. I would imagine Sony do not want to release a year after Microsoft again. They've just about caught up to them in terms of overall sales now and tbh, the Playstation is by far the better console at the moment (some seriously strong IP's).

Sony will get the Vita well out the door before turning towards the PS4.

I'm actually perfectly happy with the current gen. The likes of Uncharted 3 and Skyrim show how much this gen still has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yeah and that was in 2006
    Hirai has predicted that the PlayStation 3's life cycle will last for 10 years, hinting that the console's successor is more than five years away at least. In an interview with CNET, Hirai said: "We look at our products having a 10 year life cycle, which we've proven with the PlayStation. Therefore, the PlayStation 3 is going to be a console that's going to be with you again for 10 years.
    "We're not going to ask the consumers to suddenly buy another PlayStation console in five years' time and basically have their investment go by the wayside," he added.
    When asked to clarify whether that meant gamers will have to wait longer than five years for the PS4, Hirai replied: "I can't speculate on when we might come out with a new console after PlayStation 3. But my message is that once you become a family in the PlayStation family of products, you become a family member."
    The PlayStation 3 is due to go on sale this November, priced at 599 Euro for the 60GB model or 499 Euro for the 20GB version. Sony has been criticised for setting such a high price point but, speaking in the same interview. Hirai reiterated the company's belief that the PS3 "ultimately offers fantastic value to the consumers".
    "I don't think price is the only determining factor when consumers make a choice in looking at their console purchase decisions," he concluded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

yeah and that was in 2006
    Hirai has predicted that the PlayStation 3's life cycle will last for 10 years, hinting that the console's successor is more than five years away at least. In an interview with CNET, Hirai said: "We look at our products having a 10 year life cycle, which we've proven with the PlayStation. Therefore, the PlayStation 3 is going to be a console that's going to be with you again for 10 years.
    "We're not going to ask the consumers to suddenly buy another PlayStation console in five years' time and basically have their investment go by the wayside," he added.
    When asked to clarify whether that meant gamers will have to wait longer than five years for the PS4, Hirai replied: "I can't speculate on when we might come out with a new console after PlayStation 3. But my message is that once you become a family in the PlayStation family of products, you become a family member."
    The PlayStation 3 is due to go on sale this November, priced at 599 Euro for the 60GB model or 499 Euro for the 20GB version. Sony has been criticised for setting such a high price point but, speaking in the same interview. Hirai reiterated the company's belief that the PS3 "ultimately offers fantastic value to the consumers".
    "I don't think price is the only determining factor when consumers make a choice in looking at their console purchase decisions," he concluded.

Look at some poor people Who paid the 599 euro only to have the ps3 die from overheating issue. And Sony told people that the ps3 side not overheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Cork24 wrote: »
    Look at some poor people Who paid the 599 euro only to have the ps3 die from overheating issue. And Sony told people that the ps3 side not overheat.

well then get a pitch fork start a fire and sing combuya because i dont care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Cork24 wrote: »

well then get a pitch fork start a fire and sing combuya because i dont care!

I dont care, if You dont care i Just came in and made a point on the over heat issues that their facing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bf2000ie

I have one of the original PS3, bought it within months of the original release and god bless her, shes never put a foot wrong ha.
    Would like to put in a bigger harddrive and the fan does sound like it might take flight at any moment but she works perfectly.

I dont think there will be a PS4 for at least another 2 years. There are big games being released in the next 6 months that would have held back release if there was a PS4 coming. And dont fool yourself, they would know it is coming.
    Sony wouldnt release a new console without the heavy hitter games to make you want it.
    After the mess that was the GT5 release date, I dont think they will be the driving force behind a PS4 but watch out for the likes of CoD pushing back their release dates. They should anyway, make a better game, but you know what I mean haha :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

PS1: 1994
    PS2: 2000
    PS3: 2006
    PS4: ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

PS1: 1994
    PS2: 2000
    PS3: 2006
    PS4: ???

It definitely won't be 2012. PS3 has just about gotten into it's stride. I'd say... 2014 to 2016. However, an early release of a new xBox *MAY* speed that up. I'm sure Sony don't want to be two years behind the xBox AGAIN.

Edit : Sony have always stated that the PS3 had a ten year shelf life. that's not to say that they aren't working on a PS4 now. You can bet your arse they are.

RangeR wrote: »
    It definitely won't be 2012. PS3 has just about gotten into it's stride. I'd say... 2014 to 2016. However, an early release of a new xBox *MAY* speed that up. I'm sure Sony don't want to be two years behind the xBox AGAIN.

Edit : Sony have always stated that the PS3 had a ten year shelf life. that's not to say that they aren't working on a PS4 now. You can bet your arse they are.

10 year shelf life would allow the PS4 to come out next year or the following year without them breaking their word so to speak. I think Nintendo's release of Wii U and the fact that it's still basically just competing with the current consoles from MS and Sony probably led to some impetus fading in both companies. I doubt either have made a great profit so far this generation and will both be hoping the others don't blink any time soon.
    One thing that I think does make this generation different is the pattern of what games are getting released. Usually by now the smaller developers will be releasing plenty of games but it seems a lot have moved to the portable consoles. Usually when a glut of high-quality, small-run games are on the way it's when development costs have come down and new consoles may be on the way. The fact that that still hasn't happened makes one wonder if there's long left for the current consoles or if it's still too dear to develop for them.

Long story short I'd say we may get an announcement at E3 next year with the other crowd (probably Sony second) announcing before the end of the year with one console released near the end of 2013 and the other maybe just in time for Christmas 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

RangeR wrote: »

I think that's the key point. Right now the PS3 has finally hit its stride. They're selling loads of them, each sale is making a profit instead of a massive loss and it's got a lot of quality games out now and on the way. The only thing that I can see that might make Sony keen to go through the expense of pushing forward with a new console would be Microsoft doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

The only thing I can confirm is that I am not going to buy one :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No chance that Sony will showcase the PS4 before 2013, too much life left in the PS3 right now.
    The machine seems to be suffering from a lack of cracking 3rd party exclusives, while the 360 is prospering on them.
    The 360 must be due for replacement with an announcement probably next year, plus the WiiU is due to make an appearance and perhaps change everything, these events may spur Sony to make some sort of announcement in late 2012, to try to get consumers to hold off buying a competitors console and hold out til the following year for theirs.
    All guess work but we'll see, can't see developers being able to afford supporting two resource heavy consoles from the same company, given the cost of said development, we may see a sudden demise of the PS3 and it's replacement, as in the Xbox transition to the 360, rather than the gradual shift from PS to PS2 and PS2 to PS3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement