Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation 4 to be released in 2012?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

Just got wind of Sony's cheap 3D 24 inch widescreen TV for the PS3,
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/229669/e3_sony_introduces_lowcost_3d_tv_bundle.html
    Hear its da bomb,:D all is not over yet PS3 and you can be assured it will be around for a long time after its successor the PS4 3D Virtual Reality Move Machine or some kind a mad sh!d
    http://thegamershub.net/2011/08/new-ps3-3d-technology-first-look/
    NOW dont tell me you aint goin to tap that right, heh heh heh, thats my sony NAAASSS

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

http://thegamershub.net/2011/08/new-ps3-3d-technology-first-look/
    NOW dont tell me you aint goin to tap that right, heh heh heh, thats my sony NAAASSS

That looks AWESOME!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I think we've finally begun to see developers reach the end of a five-year learning curve. Certain titles - Uncharted 2 springs to mind - have demonstrated just what they can do with the platform. It's a bit of a shame that it's taken five years of mediocre content and scant exclusive titles. Who remembers the original Playstation? The shift from cartridge to CD meant that there were a raft of exclusive games available from day one. I think today's titles are only starting to scratch the surface, and would hate for the PS3 to be the mini disc of consoles, caught between the innovation curves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

In a PS4 what would i like to See ?

Well first off the Power running at around 110W to stop it from Over Heating.. That Said

With the PC starting to Catch up and over Taken the Consoles i like to see a Console that can allow Users to play in a 64 player Online Team DeathMatch. Not with those Small maps that every Turn your getting Killed.

Specs

Intel i5 3.2Ghz (Move Away from the PowerPC "Please")

2Gb RAM (252Mb RAM is Way To Small in a Console)

Blue Ray Disk-Drive

1TB HDD

Dolby Digital 7.1

Nvidia GeForce 3D
    Price - 900

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Cork24 wrote: »

Well first off the Power running at around 110W to stop it from Over Heating.. That Said

With the PC starting to Catch up and over Taken the Consoles i like to see a Console that can allow Users to play in a 64 player Online Team DeathMatch. Not with those Small maps that every Turn your getting Killed.

Specs

Blue Ray Disk-Drive

1TB HDD

Dolby Digital 7.1

Nvidia GeForce 3D
    Price - 900

No offence or anything, but who's going to buy a €900 console??:eek: Recession or not, we simply can't afford to buy a console that is way more expensive than a PC with similar specs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LOL, PCs starting to catch and overtake consoles.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    No offence or anything, but who's going to buy a €900 console??:eek: Recession or not, we simply can't afford to buy a console that is way more expensive than a PC with similar specs...

PS3 first when it came out was 900 euro, when i waited for about 6 Months i paid 400 euro

PS3 first when it came out was 900 euro

Lolwut?!

amacachi wrote: »
    Lolwut?!

YES !!! 900 Euro in H-Normans

I paid 600....

Now it is about 360 i think. The More they Sell the less the Price goes down as the Units Sales go down so they need to lower the prices..

It wasn't 900. Unless you were buying half a dozen more controllers with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I paid 600....

Now it is about 360 i think. The More they Sell the less the Price goes down as the Units Sales go down so they need to lower the prices..

It was in its arse. They must have been quoting you for their extended warranty as well.....:pac:

So you tell me how much you paid for it.. As i can Remember my Friends getting it the First day and Forking out 900 euros...

I paid 600 for mine next you be telling me that it wasnt 600 euros I can Remember HN doing Finance for the PS3

If you look at the Sony PS3 Community This Question has come up more then once and it was 600Dollars in America,, Now We all know America is cheaper then UK & Ireland for everything so if a Console was Worth 600 Dollars it would be fair to say it was well over the 600 mark here...

Some people Even paid 900dollars for their 60Gb. i seen on Yahoo

whiterebel wrote: »
    It was in its arse. They must have been quoting you for their extended warranty as well.....:pac:

What your telling me i didnt pay 600 Euro? i got mine in Game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

PS3 was 630 when it was released, i bought my 60gb in june 07 in a bundle in gamestop, it was 700 with a choice of 2 sony games

i spent 2 grand that day between the ps3, few games and blu rays, an extra control and a new LCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Reliability, something more inspiring than XMB, & fleets of high quality games.
    Cork24 wrote:

Better design materials is all. Sony are known to use really crappy thermal paste for one.
    Cork24 wrote:
    With the PC starting to Catch up and over Taken the Consoles

No, what we have are small pc's in fancy shells.
    Cork24 wrote:
    i like to see a Console that can allow Users to play in a 64 player Online Team DeathMatch. Not with those Small maps that every Turn your getting Killed.

Hmm, maybe you should start gaming on the pc instead?
    Cork24 wrote:
    Specs

Blue Ray Disk-Drive

1TB HDD

Dolby Digital 7.1

Nvidia GeForce 3D
    Price - 900

In all fairness, the price for that is madness. The PS4 just needs to break the mould. Sony did it with the PS1, demolished the competition & there was nothing else like it out there for ages. It seems MS & Sony are so afraid to put a step wrong these days, they end up making almost the same machine with a different badge.

Sony, something different next please.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd be more interested in what the main selling point would be. If 3D took off, there was increased processing power necessary then they'd need to bring one out to accomodate it.......but i don't think people are that interested.

Graphics are amazing, there's a massive difference between PS1 and 2, and 2 and 3. We're at a 'saturation point' for amazing looking graphics. Are devs clamering to get double the texture res's etc?

I'm not sure where we should see improvement really; this stuff looks amazing on a massive tv already... One thing I'd like to improve is the facial animation - as seen in LA Noire. But other than that, i don't see a reason (and so a selling point) for a new console.

Like Xboxes need more space because they're basically using DVD9s; so the alternative is to have things on 2-3 discs. Which is a hassle; it's more in the eyes of the consumer than spending the extra 20 cents pressing the discs...

Graphics are the readily demonstratable selling point for a new console; but we've reached that zenith where you need something more than that...what would the new selling point for a console be? They've already brought out a motion controller :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Do people actually want a motion controller? If the Wii is anything to go by, I sure don't. They should keep it classic with the type of controller the ps2 created and the ps3 perfected IMO. If it ain't broke....

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in what the main selling point would be. If 3D took off, there was increased processing power necessary then they'd need to bring one out to accomodate it.......but i don't think people are that interested.

Graphics are amazing, there's a massive difference between PS1 and 2, and 2 and 3. We're at a 'saturation point' for amazing looking graphics. Are devs clamering to get double the texture res's etc?

I'm not sure where we should see improvement really; this stuff looks amazing on a massive tv already... One thing I'd like to improve is the facial animation - as seen in LA Noire. But other than that, i don't see a reason (and so a selling point) for a new console.

Like Xboxes need more space because they're basically using DVD9s; so the alternative is to have things on 2-3 discs. Which is a hassle; it's more in the eyes of the consumer than spending the extra 20 cents pressing the discs...

Graphics are the readily demonstratable selling point for a new console; but we've reached that zenith where you need something more than that...what would the new selling point for a console be? They've already brought out a motion controller :confused:
    I said that meself in a few places. Looking over the last few generations the step-up for PS1 was 3D graphics. To PS2 it was 3D that wasn't terrible. :pac: To PS3 it was HD and much better in general. While I do think there'd be a visibly difference between PS3 and PS4 it's not going to be anything like the usual generational leaps so I strongly doubt either MS or Sony are looking forward to having to bring out a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

13spanner wrote: »
    Do people actually want a motion controller? If the Wii is anything to go by, I sure don't. They should keep it classic with the type of controller the ps2 created and the ps3 perfected IMO. If it ain't broke....

What Sony need for the PS4 is a new controller design more than anything else. The DualShock is from the PSX days. I used it to play Ace Combat 2 in 1997 and it was amazing over what a d-pad control was like to fly with but now they need a new more comfortable design.

Sega almost nailed is with the DC and MS copied it for the Xbox and Nintendo with the GC controller layout. The new controller needs to be a bit bigger and heavier with the d-pad and left stick swapped around and the L2 and R2 buttons should be anything other than the concave design they used for the PS3, woeful design.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In terms of a technical jump Carmack covered what a lot of devs would love in an interview with Tom's Guide. That would obviously be a move away from more off the shelf parts which have featured in both consoles this gen so I'd wager next gen will be more of the same, albeit beefier, with no drastic changes.

As for a general target for the next gen, for me it's simple, the ability to comfortably run 1080p at 60fps. 3D support makes this slightly more complex of course given the need to drop resolution or framerate but I think at least giving devs the option of which one to cut would be good enough for now.

As for the topic, of course the PS4 isn't coming out in the rumoured time scale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is a very odd thread.

No, it wasn't.

I recall it being five hundred and ninety nine US dollars but I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    As for a general target for the next gen, for me it's simple, the ability to comfortably run 1080p at 60fps. 3D support makes this slightly more complex of course given the need to drop resolution or framerate but I think at least giving devs the option of which one to cut would be good enough for now.

Planning for 1080p, 60fps, and 3D is half the work (a good start etc). Designing with these in mind will take much of the effort out of it.

As long as the PS4 is black and the controller is mostly a dualshock, i'll probably be happy with the aesthetics and ergonomics of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What your telling me i didnt pay 600 Euro? i got mine in Game

I didn't say you didn't pay €600, I'm saying it wasn't €900 at launch. I paid €600 for the PS3 + 2 games October after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

whiterebel wrote: »
    I didn't say you didn't pay €600, I'm saying it wasn't €900 at launch. I paid €600 for the PS3 + 2 games October after launch.

I paid 480 for the PS3, GT5: Prologue and another game plus a second controller during April of the year after launch, so I guess I got a pretty good deal!:D

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I paid 480 for the PS3, GT5: Prologue and another game plus a second controller during April of the year after launch, so I guess I got a pretty good deal!:D

Good alright. I got a second controller, Resistance and FIFA from HMV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So you tell me how much you paid for it.. As i can Remember my Friends getting it the First day and Forking out 900 euros...

Must have been really really big windows in your local video game store and, boy, did they see you coming!
    And as for the launch price for those of us not currently inhabiting La La Land,
    The long-awaited PlayStation 3 will finally go on sale across Europe on 23 March, and will cost 599 Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Whether the PS4 releases in the near or not so near future, do you think KB will still be around or have retired for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What Sony need for the PS4 is a new controller design more than anything else. The DualShock is from the PSX days. I used it to play Ace Combat 2 in 1997 and it was amazing over what a d-pad control was like to fly with but now they need a new more comfortable design.

Sega almost nailed is with the DC and MS copied it for the Xbox and Nintendo with the GC controller layout. The new controller needs to be a bit bigger and heavier with the d-pad and left stick swapped around and the L2 and R2 buttons should be anything other than the concave design they used for the PS3, woeful design.

God no. It's no coincidence that X-Box owners are clamouring to buy a periphery device which lets them play games without using their retarded control pad.

Obviously I agree with the L2/R2 comment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    God no. It's no coincidence that X-Box owners are clamouring to buy a periphery device which lets them play games without using their retarded control pad.
    I assume you're referring to the d-pad on the 360 controller and not the actual controller itself? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Everything about the controller I find to be absolutely horrid. It's the wrong size, the wrong shape, my thumb always slips off of the stick because it's in the wrong place. I don't understand why some people like it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement