Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation 4 to be released in 2012?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Everything about the controller I find to be absolutely horrid. It's the wrong size, the wrong shape, my thumb always slips off of the stick because it's in the wrong place. I don't understand why some people like it.
    Each to their own I guess, I certainly don't think people are clamouring to buy a peripheral to allow them to use the PS3 controllers though. If anything it's the other way around with the PowerA controllers for the PS3.

With regards "right" and "wrong" though, in terms of ergonomics the sticks being non-symmetrical on the 360 is more "correct" technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sorry, I was making a sarcastic comment about Kinect :).

each to their own, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

and so it begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I love how the "source" knows that the unknown PS4 specs are more powerful than the unknown Xbox specs. Not gonna happen this year... slim chance that MS will reveal a new console, not a chance Sony will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

If they will going to release it this year then no VITA for me and that seems what mostly people gonna do aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Notorioux wrote: »
    If they will going to release it this year then no VITA for me and that seems what mostly people gonna do aswell!

They will announce it this year. THey wont release it for at least another year or two.

New consoles usually have ****e games anyway on launch and are way overpriced. The PS3 was €600-€700 on launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I do suspect that we'll have a glimpse of the next generation during e3. I was looking at some news sites on my phone earlier and couldn't understand why there was a sudden boom in discussion about it. The xbox 360 has aged a fair bit so their announcement is inevitable, Sony would have to follow suit to avoid playing catch-up. Still couldn't be arsed speculating on what the hardware is like. :pac: Release would probably be late 2013 or early 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Should be interesting this year. I'm going to bet the GPU will be on a similar performance level to the Nvidia GTX 460. The PS3's "Reality Synthesizer" was more or less a modified Nvidia 7800GTX after all.

As for the CPU, that's anyone's guess. They put a huge amount of money in to the Cell. I don't see them ditching it entirely in favour of an entirely new processor design. But then again, as amazing as it was back at the time of the PS3's release, it's getting pretty old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think we might hear about it this year, maybe something at GDC or tokyo. No release till 2014 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

according to PSM the ps4 will have better specs than xbox 720 (their words, also 720 specs havent been revealed yet lol) and use cell tech

uh oh looks like sony hadnt learned anything from sellimg difficult overpriced hardware...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hope it comes with a groinal attachment

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

"Zero Chance" of PlayStation 4 at E3, according to analyst Michael Pachter:

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216053p1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

If it's shown at E3 with the new Xbox then it's a late 2013 release.

PS3 was shown at E3 2005 and released in late 2006 in Japan and early 2007 everywhere else.

PS2 had the same timeline too I think.

No way they can release it 6 months after this years E3.

Too early, not enough time for marketing, devs, all that.

Microsoft seems to want the new Xbox to be a machine that can do everything, a family machine for the sitting room, where everyone can join in ( there ads on tv are all about family at the moment ) they will probably force feed their Kinect technology.

That would explain the rumored not so impressive xbox 720 specs.I think they will do down a more Wii route, rather than brute power like the last two.

Should be interesting this year. I'm going to bet the GPU will be on a similar performance level to the Nvidia GTX 460. The PS3's "Reality Synthesizer" was more or less a modified Nvidia 7800GTX after all.

As for the CPU, that's anyone's guess. They put a huge amount of money in to the Cell. I don't see them ditching it entirely in favour of an entirely new processor design. But then again, as amazing as it was back at the time of the PS3's release, it's getting pretty old now.

Wasn't cell development halted in 2009.

If so. I can't see Sony spending the cash to develop another one.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/news.php?newsid=344

I reckon Sony learned there lesson with the Cell, Vita not using it was a sign imo.

I think they will use a

Power7 or AMD Bulldozer based design myself.

It will be a better card than a GTX 460.

When the PS3 was announced in mid 2005 it used the best current card of that time 7800gtx ( in fact it was a little bit quicker, using some tech from the late 8800gtx )

When the Xbox 360 was announced in early to mid 2005 it used a x1950 ( xenos )

X1950 wasn't released till end of 2006.

Best current single cards now are HD6970 and GTX 580.

I would expect them to match that at least.

Nvidia and AMD are small time compared to those 2 giants and both need those two huge contracts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Turbine wrote: »
    "Zero Chance" of PlayStation 4 at E3, according to analyst Michael Pachter:

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216053p1.html

The same Michael Pachter that usually gets everything wrong about the games industry? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

worth noting that sony stopped all new first party ps3 development about 4 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sony and MS are in a staring match now, they'll both be ready but they're both hoping no-one blinks. I expected a "glimpse" at the next consoles this year sometime and one to be released before next Christmas.

Helix wrote: »
    worth noting that sony stopped all new first party ps3 development about 4 months ago

In that case how would you explain "The Last Of Us"? The upcoming PS3 exclusive from NaughtyDog which is expected to be released late 2012/early 2013

Hogzy wrote: »
    In that case how would you explain "The Last Of Us"? The upcoming PS3 exclusive from NaughtyDog which is expected to be released late 2012/early 2013

easy, its been in development for longer than 4 months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Helix wrote: »

Got a link?

F1ngers wrote: »
    Got a link?

i dont

twas in edge at the time

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Remember reading this a while back - http://www.next-gen.biz/news/next-generation-arrive-2012
    We can also reveal that one major Sony-owned studio has now ceased PlayStation 3 development, its entire focus having shifted to the console’s successor. The studio is also said to have been involved in the development process of the graphics technology adopted by Sony’s new hardware.

In all fairness though that is just one studio. Sony has 16 Different 1st Party studio's around the world.

Its obvious that they are developing the PS3's successor. All tech companies are developing future products so its no surprise that one of the Sony studio's has started developing software. It doesnt mean that the consoles launch is immanent. It also doesnt mean the launch could be years away.

I personally think Sony and Microsoft are waiting for their rival to break cover before they announce anything. If xBox were to announce the "720" then i have no doubt Sony would announce something the following week.

Tech demo time:)

Cant wait

Remember this like it was yesterday.

Wonder what we will get?

Gran Turismo 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Squall19 wrote: »
    Tech demo time:)

Cant wait

Remember this like it was yesterday.

Wonder what we will get?

Gran Turismo 6?

I was so disappointed with the Wii U tech demo. It was like watching a pc from 5 years ago, rendering a bird flying over a pond. Graphics were a massive step up from the Wii, but its well outdated tech wise already

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

PS4 threads merged.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I was so disappointed with the Wii U tech demo. It was like watching a pc from 5 years ago, rendering a bird flying over a pond. Graphics were a massive step up from the Wii, but its well outdated tech wise already

Saw that too.

Hope it's just a poor tech demo, I would even go as far to say Gamecube quality.Very poor demonstration.

I fear they will be so powerful as to leave Nintendo completely out of the loop again. It really hurt the Wii not having cross-platform titles, and as I'll probably be getting a Wii U ( girlfriend loves wii ) it would be nice to have that extra variety.

PS3 and Xbox360 have had an incredible christmas shifting over 4 million consoles each.They are only reach there peak now, so I hope they don't bring it out a new ones.I can't afford it and tbh the ps3 does everything I need, games are looking incredible now and psn is grand.

I would hope christmas 2014 and with some serious hardware that is not even out today, Nvidia Maxwell, cheap ssd drive, core i7 type cpu at least etc.

I don't think the hardware today is enough to be honest.Nothing on a 3k pc blows me away with core i7, nvidia 590gtx etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

EnterNow wrote: »

Worst of all I think is the new controller. It's a plastic, low res, resistive touch screen without multitouch. It's hard to see it creating much of a stir when most people are now accustomed to glass, capacitive touchscreens.

• Advertisement

Worst of all I think is the new controller. It's a plastic, low res, resistive touch screen without multitouch. It's hard to see it creating much of a stir when most people are now accustomed to glass, capacitive touchscreens.

plus nintendo havent quite managed to make it work properly yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement