Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 to be released in 2012?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Squall19 wrote: »
    PS3 and Xbox360 have had an incredible christmas shifting over 4 million consoles each.They are only reach there peak now, so I hope they don't bring it out a new ones.I can't afford it and tbh the ps3 does everything I need, games are looking incredible now and psn is grand.

Sony will be thinking the exact same thing. The PS3 is finally earning them some money and I'm sure they'll be happy to put off the next generation of consoles for as long as possible. But they can't afford to be a year behind Microsoft again.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Sony will be thinking the exact same thing. The PS3 is finally earning them some money and I'm sure they'll be happy to put off the next generation of consoles for as long as possible. But they can't afford to be a year behind Microsoft again.

This is the crux of it. They cannot let this happen. But if does happen again, and it's then released with beyond ridiculous pricing like it was for the PS3 on release, well then they truly deserve to be crushed by the 720 and Wii U sales wise.

All this talk of Nintendo mid last year and then stories of the 720 have quite likely forced them to play their hand earlier then they have wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

This is the crux of it. They cannot let this happen. But if does happen again, and it's then released with beyond ridiculous pricing like it was for the PS3 on release, well then they truly deserve to be crushed by the 720 and Wii U sales wise.

All this talk of Nintendo mid last year and then stories of the 720 have quite likely forced them to play their hand earlier then they have wanted.

I don't think Microsoft want it either.

Xbox 360 is flying at the moment with 66 million machines sold and likely to hit 80 million by the end of the year, I can't see why they would give that up so early and the publishers wouldn't be happy at all.

Big games like Call of duty, battlefield, assassins, uncharted, fable etc are shifting in the millions on both machines, the real money is being made at last and microsoft shareholders would be livid if they walked away from this, they don't want another xbox until every cent is squeezed out of it.

I don't think the ps4 will be that expensive either, blu-ray is very cheap now and if they go with cell again that won't cost no way near as much to produce as last time.

I think it will follow the Vita route with very good tech, but nothing outrageous.Prices should be grand then.

I think it be more powerful than the Xbox720 as well, which will probably go the Wii route with a fancy new Kinect in every system as standard, while PS4 will go down a more brute power route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

the real money is being made at last and microsoft shareholders would be livid if they walked away from this, they don't want another xbox until every cent is squeezed out of it.

Nail on the head right there. Both Microsoft and Sony are making a nice bit of cash at the moment from their console section. They will squeeze as much out of these consoles as they can. Too early a release of the next console could be a bad thing because developers will develop for the newer console and everyone wont be able to afford the new console straight away. Therefore there will be ALOT less sales than there is now. (This is probably the reason the PS3 was backwards compatible at its launch but the feature was taken away.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hogzy wrote: »
    Nail on the head right there. Both Microsoft and Sony are making a nice bit of cash at the moment from their console section. They will squeeze as much out of these consoles as they can.

True
    Too early a release of the next console could be a bad thing because developers will develop for the newer console

The PS3 will have a larger install base than a future PlayStation for a long while. A game on the PS3 will sell better than the "killer app" for a new console, Sony will undoubtedly develop games to help long term goals but most third party while they will try to make games for a new console they are not going to abandon a larger market for a smaller one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No, There Won’t be a PlayStation 4 at E3

At least not according to SCE's Andrew House and Kaz Hirai. Assuming you believe them. :)
    Last week, trade site MCV reported that the PlayStation 4 would make an appearance at this year's E3 in Los Angeles. Sony begs to differ.

Both Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Corp. have come out in denial of the report, with SCE's Andrew House telling CVG "I don't think we're contemplating talking about anything to do with future console iterations at this point."

Sony's Kaz Hirai, meanwhile, said the same thing. "Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3. I've always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

Nintendo's Wii U will obviously be at the June expo, and it's becoming increasingly expected that Microsoft's follow-up to the Xbox 360 will be first revealed there as well. A PS4 presence would have made it one hell of a show, but, well, bummer.

Anyway, while you're here, if you're wondering where the top image came from, it's the work of industrial designer Joseph Dumary, whose Xbox concept we've featured here on Kotaku. You can see more of his PS4 imaginings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think it be more powerful than the Xbox720 as well, which will probably go the Wii route with a fancy new Kinect in every system as standard, while PS4 will go down a more brute power route.

The problem with this, from a Sony perspective, is if the real big titles continue to be multi-format then the PS4's superior power will be wasted as developers will develop for a the lesser-spec XBox720 and port over. If Sony do have a real hardware advantage in the next generation then they'll need strong exclusive titles to showcase that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Rumours going around now that the PS4 will output 4K resolution:

http://aunonline.com/?p=4717

I doubt it will have anything near 4K.Are there even tv's that can output that? The amount of graphics card power wouldhave to be monstrous.

But we can always hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I know I want to pay close to a grand for a console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Chavways wrote: »

I doubt it will have anything near 4K.Are there even tv's that can output that? The amount of graphics card power wouldhave to be monstrous.

There's not a single graphics card on the market that will do that on pc. So definitely not happening. There are a few 4k monitors around but you could get an awesome car for the price. This one from last year is 36k to buy so that'd be 9 thousand per k. So that's a no. :D

http://gizmodo.com/5813575/a-4k-resolution-display-that-fits-on-your-desk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well I was thinking about this and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony just let Microsoft release the next Xbox and then wait to release the PS4 about 2 years later. That way they could build up a nice launch title list as it's not rushed, make it affordable as well as being superior tech and feature wise. Then there would be no debate to what is the superior console. Of course I could see significant risk to this method but also I could see this working very well in the long run for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Corkfeen wrote: »
    There's not a single graphics card on the market that will do that on pc. So definitely not happening. There are a few 4k monitors around but you could get an awesome car for the price. This one from last year is 36k to buy so that'd be 9 thousand per k. So that's a no. :D

http://gizmodo.com/5813575/a-4k-resolution-display-that-fits-on-your-desk

Wouldn't mind that in my bedroom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Well I was thinking about this and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony just let Microsoft release the next Xbox and then wait to release the PS4 about 2 years later. That way they could build up a nice launch title list as it's not rushed, make it affordable as well as being superior tech and feature wise. Then there would be no debate to what is the superior console. Of course I could see significant risk to this method but also I could see this working very well in the long run for Sony.
    Probably with that is, Sony won't give a damn if they have the "superior console" if they're being outsold by MS thanks to the lead they handed them at launch.

Chavways wrote: »

Yeah there are tv's that have just been anounced at CES that output 4K resolution. At the moment there are no discs available that would have the capacity to output 4K though.

The PS3 was capable of 1080p but AFAIK only one game was made in 1080p (Gran Turismo 5). All others were made at 720p resolution.

I wouldnt imagine 4K being a standard for at least 5-10yrs. 1080p cant even be broadcast because of the bandwidth required.

Yeah there are tv's that have just been anounced at CES that output 4K resolution. At the moment there are no discs available that would have the capacity to output 4K though.

The PS3 was capable of 1080p but AFAIK only one game was made in 1080p (Gran Turismo 5). All others were made at 720p resolution.

I wouldnt imagine 4K being a standard for at least 5-10yrs. 1080p cant even be broadcast because of the bandwidth required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Close enough. Add the theoretical drive cost to price of a theoretical Graphics card and I think I'll take the new BMW instead. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

amacachi wrote: »

Close enough. Add the theoretical drive cost to price of a theoretical Graphics card and I think I'll take the new BMW instead. :pac:

I think I'd rather put the money down for a 3 year round the world trip :D

amacachi wrote: »

lol. Obviously the prices for that will come down tremendously over time. But like i said. It will be 5-10yrs before its at a consumer friendly price.

lol. Obviously the prices for that will come down tremendously over time. But like i said. It will be 5-10yrs before its at a consumer friendly price.

Yeah but won't production be starting this year? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Corkfeen wrote: »
    There's not a single graphics card on the market that will do that on pc.

The new HD 7970 supports upto 4096x3112 but cost about the same a the PS3 did at launch, and the last few gen of cards could do 2k.

I think it probably will if it does not come out too soon, but any time in the near future and it'll likely be limited to video playback rather than games.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not+again.jpg

Yep its time for the PS5 it's all about to kick off again. Will Xbox 2 mess it up again they have three models lined up one is a digital only machine, and PlayStation have two. World release date for PS5 is Feb 2020 we may get it early in Europe for competition sales reasons.
    (mad box a UK company) is planning to take over the market so there will be three super consoles on the go

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement