Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Moneyball - Michael Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As usual true crime for me, just picked up Natural born killers & Cannibal killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

War and Peace. Tried and failed 8 times to get past page 50. Am now on page 48. Will succeed this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Reading The Corrections by Johnathen Frantzen at the moment. It's pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro.

Just finished Alan Partidges book, classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

S.E Hinton's "The Outsiders".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Great read.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

missvirgo wrote: »
    I love Bob Dylan, but tbh i found it sooo boring... i had to stop a couple of chapters in...

How are you finding it? :)

Maybe i just wasn't in the zone for it at the time...

I'm reading the Twilight Saga... I know, I know...

I decided to read it out of curiosity... I think i'm actually beginning to despise it...

I hate the way the roles of male & female are portrayed...

I'm thinking that it's dealing with desire, and from that perspective it's holding my interest, however i'm finding it very hard to see beyond the male/female dynamics :mad:

I read those books and I actually used to get so angry at the writing! I did finish them though! Absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Jeffrey Eugenides 'The Virgin Suicides'.

After that I think I'll buy something by Janet Frame. Been meaning to check her out for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Renaissance Popes by Gerard Noel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

War and Peace. Tried and failed 8 times to get past page 50. Am now on page 48. Will succeed this time.

If you've read the first 50 pages then why don't you start from page 51? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Re-reading Hunger Games trilogy!

next on my list is FEED

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I picked it up in a charity shop for 50c not really paying much attention. When I started reading I realised it sounded a bit familiar. There was a ghey-looking movie based on it last year with Kiera Knightley. I haven't read much but it's actually pretty intriguing so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Just finished "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown.

Bought the new Ross O' Carroll Kelly book looking forward to that and I'll start reading " A Brief History of Time" over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

If you've read the first 50 pages then why don't you start from page 51? :confused:

I keep forgetting what happened previously! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Just barely managed to finish 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Hemingway. Awful boring, tedious book full of waffely rambling dressed up as literature. Out of all the classic authors Hemingway is a consistent let down. I have yet to find a book of his I enjoy but feel that I must be missing something somehow.

Each to their own, for me Hemingway is a beautiful storyteller and this is his crowning achievement. I love the way he writes, such simple use of language. Its like he can use such ordinary words but the images leap off the page so clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

I read those books and I actually used to get so angry at the writing! I did finish them though! Absolute rubbish.

I know what you mean... I think i'm trying my best to see a depth in them that is not there... I'm just starting Book 3 now and i will see them out to the end...

Seriously disappointed though :( I do love the vampires & werewolves, i just wish that Bella wan wasn't so ****ing weak & frail... needing men to mind & protect her all the time! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I picked it up in a charity shop for 50c not really paying much attention. When I started reading I realised it sounded a bit familiar. There was a ghey-looking movie based on it last year with Kiera Knightley. I haven't read much but it's actually pretty intriguing so far!
    Awful, awful book and movie. I don't know which is worse. Actually I do - the book. Hated it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hilary Delany, 'Equity and the Law of Trusts in Ireland'.......A real snoozefest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Awful, awful book and movie. I don't know which is worse. Actually I do - the book. Hated it :(

I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Brave New World -

Really interesting tale set in the future, humanity is grown in tubes. Parents are a thing of the past. All embryos are conditioned for thier appointed tasks in life. eg: some are frozen and heated repeatily so they begin to crave hot climates and want to work in steel mills etc.
    All children are preconditioned for thier tasks and place in life. state produced drugs for recreational use and everyone is very very happy....except one person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Right now I am reading Reminiscences of Captain Gronow: being anecdotes of the camp, the court, and the clubs at the close of the last war with France.

Although this wonderful autobiography is largely set in the early nineteenth century, so many of the themes: financial ruin, European disunity and conflict with the United Kingdom, and fashionable society, seem as relevant today as ever before.

http://books.google.ie/books/about/Reminiscences_of_Captain_Gronow.html?id=N9gxAQAAIAAJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

theTinker wrote: »
    Brave New World -

Really interesting tale set in the future, humanity is grown in tubes. Parents are a thing of the past. All embryos are conditioned for thier appointed tasks in life. eg: some are frozen and heated repeatily so they begin to crave hot climates and want to work in steel mills etc.
    All children are preconditioned for thier tasks and place in life. state produced drugs for recreational use and everyone is very very happy....except one person :)

Cool... who wrote it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

missvirgo wrote: »
    Cool... who wrote it?

Aldous Huxley. One of the best dystopian science-fiction books ever written.

I'm currently re-reading the Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde... I felt I needed something gentle and witty after a Stieg Larsson (excellent also) marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

theTinker wrote: »
    Brave New World -

Brilliant book, I must have read it 5/10 times over the years.

At the moment, I'm not reading anything, But have to find something, The feeling of not having a book to read is like when you go out and are sure you're forgetting something. Keep looking around "where's my book, oh yeah, damn"
    See if anything in this thread catches my attention :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Stuff about Ché

He's not as interesting as everyone makes him out to be in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't really enjoy reading. And if I start a book I rarely finish it. I prefer just watching TV or reading articles on the internet!

I'm so very glad I don't suffer from that disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Aidric wrote: »
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray.

Am reading this too! really enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I didnt realise that automated bank machines could read.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Just wrapped up a treatise on the dealings of the Byzantine Empire with the barbarians, don't ask me for the name of the paper at the moment, now working on Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement